WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone here have experience with these trekking poles?

http://www.rei.com/product/881622/le...ing-poles-pair

It's time to upgrade from the Walmart poles(which have worked great) to something higher quality and with a more comfortable grip. Just wondering if any of you guys have tried these and if so, what's your take on them? Also, I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks another product is significantly better. I'm willing to pay a little more as long as their is added value that warrants the price.

I have a pair and love them. Switched from some Komperdell made, REI branded poles with a plastic grip. The difference is amazing. The grip is far more comfortable and it does not get sticky from sweat like the plastic grips did. Well worth the investment to me.

I use the same poles, and also love them. I broke the lower extension on one last year, and Leki mailed a new one in three days, no questions asked. Think Walmart would do that?
    -tagg

Something else I wanted to ask about these poles. Are the locking mechanisms tight on these?

Yes. Never had one collapse in over 200 miles of using them.

You can adjust the tightness with a screwdriver if you want.

Leki Pole twist locks will loosen up especially in the winter when using snow baskets but even in the summer they will loosen up eventually. I have used them for close to 20 years and have learned to give them a twist while walking on occasion. If I am getting into real hairy stuff where I am relying on them heavily I usually give them a twist. One thing that will screw up lekis is leaving them wet at the end of the hike. I always pull them apart at the end of the hike and let them dry out.

Lekis have shock absorber springs. It take a bit of getting used to, they used to sell heavier springs that had less deflection but I haven't seen them at stores for quite awhile. The corklite grips seem to hold up to DEET better.

I also own this very pair. You can't beat that price, either. I paid $129 on sale for mine. The postives are:
    1. Cork handle and ergonomic angle is great and reduces slippage and sweating of hands.
    2. The cloth handles are more silk ribbon feel and don't irritate wrists.
    3. The locking mechanism is adjustable with fingers turning a knob or using a screwdriver in the slot in the middle of the knob (I have never used a screwdriver and have never had a pole collapse).
    4. The closed and open length of the poles are excellent for storage, use as tent/tarp poles, and support while hiking.
    5. While not "ultra light", they are light and more important to me; they balance equally on one finger of each hand so they can be carried while extended for short field crossings or when arms need a break.

I would suggest $20 Leki Rubber Tips to protect the carbide tips if only doing short two day trips or general backbacking versus a thru hike. However, that is a personal choice. I got into that habit with a walking stick and prefer a rubber contact with ground, gravel, or road walking.

As soumodeler said, "Well worth the investment" especially at that price.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

The poles in the link are not twist lock and do not have anti-shock springs. The lever locks are a big improvement over the twist lock.

Forget these and get the Black Diamond Carbon Cork poles instead. You can get from Sunny Sports for the same price, free shipping, no tax. Trust me on this one, you won't be disappointed.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Forget these and get the Black Diamond Carbon Cork poles instead. You can get from Sunny Sports for the same price, free shipping, no tax. Trust me on this one, you won't be disappointed.
    Beg to differ - my experience with BD poles is that they're not as good as Leki, and the service was terrible. I've had two pairs of Lekis (only because I left the first pair in the parking lot), and they're fantastic. The lever lock can be adjusted by hand without tools.

Images

You can't go wrong with Leki poles. At Traildays a few years ago they totally replaced every part except for one of the upper poles. They had been used and abused for a few years. All repairs were done for free and they told me I can send they to the factory for the same service. I assume I would be responsible for the postage.
    WalkingStick"75"

Trekking poles are pretty personalized and nuanced gear due to the amount of time you will be using them. I prefer Black Diamond for a few reasons, however the Leki poles are a very good brand and have some nice features. It really depends how they fit you and what other uses you may have for them such as tents or tarps. Some considerations may be; How do your hands grip them when climbing something steep? Any slip at the bottom of the grip?How comfortable is the wrist strap, can your wrist hang in them without chafing?How do your hands rest on them when you are "relaxed" during a walk on level ground? How quickly the grips dry off with high humidity if you are sweating?Does the grip material get slippery/slimy with hand moisture or rain?How stable are the locks, can they be adjusted?If used for other purposes like tent support, do they work with your equipment?Bottom line is, if you like them, they fit you well, and they are a brand you have trust in, they are probably right for you.

Another vote for the BD Carbon Cork poles. I never even considered Lekis due to the twist lock tightening system that they used. Even though they they have taken a cue from BD on the use of a flick lock type system, I see no reason to leave BD.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Trekking poles are pretty personalized and nuanced gear due to the amount of time you will be using them. I prefer Black Diamond for a few reasons, however the Leki poles are a very good brand and have some nice features. It really depends how they fit you and what other uses you may have for them such as tents or tarps. Some considerations may be; How do your hands grip them when climbing something steep? Any slip at the bottom of the grip?How comfortable is the wrist strap, can your wrist hang in them without chafing?How do your hands rest on them when you are "relaxed" during a walk on level ground? How quickly the grips dry off with high humidity if you are sweating?Does the grip material get slippery/slimy with hand moisture or rain?How stable are the locks, can they be adjusted?If used for other purposes like tent support, do they work with your equipment?Bottom line is, if you like them, they fit you well, and they are a brand you have trust in, they are probably right for you.

Excellent Post! The last sentense could apply to almost any gear purchase. Yet, it still allows comparison and input on why one brand may be trusted by some; while another brand is supported by others. In the end, a person is going to make their own choice and hike there own hike. Yet, input and knowledge gained from the discussions here are invaluable.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Is that price for one pole or for a set?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I use the same poles, and also love them. I broke the lower extension on one last year, and Leki mailed a new one in three days, no questions asked. Think Walmart would do that?
    And at $20 a pair I would never have the expectation of Walmart to bend over backwards to service damaged or worn poles. You are getting what you pay for after all. But at $20 they were perfect for kitting out a kid for a first hike with no knowledge of whether he'd want poles or a single stick or whether he'd enjoy hiking or not. They are what they are...

But at $100+ per pair I expect something different from Leki.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Another vote for the BD Carbon Cork poles. I never even considered Lekis due to the twist lock tightening system that they used. Even though they they have taken a cue from BD on the use of a flick lock type system, I see no reason to leave BD.
    Several years ago I bought 2 pairs of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork hiking poles---four altogether---and after about 6 years I'm on my third pole after having all the cork on the handles crack and fall off. Bummer.

I emailed Black Diamond about the defect and of course never received a reply.

One solution is to buy some birkenstock cork saver and coat the cork handle as it's a sort of glue which dries to a hard shell surface thereby saving your cork handles.

Here's the glued handle in action on the Deep Creek trail.

Otherwise I'd look for something other than cork---hard rubber handles may last longer, the same hard rubber which is used on my poles below the cork.

I used a set of poles with cork grips on them, but didn't like how they felt with continued hand sweat and casual water from plants along the treadway. I would think a treatment like this defeats the purpose of cork material, but not having a lot of experience I really can't say.

I tend to really like the soft rubber grip of the BD's, they allow a good tight grip without slippage, no blister problems (I do wear NCS half gloves a lot), do not absorb water, and by opening my hand the grips dry out fairly quickly. I do not like the shock absorbing poles myself, so mine are pretty basic flick locks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Of course not but I'm sure the poster didn't pay close to $100 for the Walmart brand either. Probably not even half as much AND he/she didn't say they broke their Walmart brand pole either....eh?

If we're offering suggestions, don't dismiss the Cascade Mountain brand. Yes, they aren't Leki or Black Diamond but they receive large amounts of excellent reviews. Their composite, flip lock, cork handle, on/off shock absorber weighing less than a pound for the pair are $50 or less. I paid $43 shipped. Hiking snobs, never mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++