WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stakes for ZPacks Duplex on 2016 thru

I've got a a couple sets of regular ti shepard stakes but they bend easy in rocky ground and they don't hold well in soft ground. I'm looking for a versatile stake I can rely on for a thru since I plan on tenting as much as possible. Any recommendations?

Default mini groundhogs

I've almost bought these on several occasions, but how do they hold up against the regular groundhogs? Am I better off with the full size?

Don't think you will break either. Both are pretty tough.

Images

I bought the MSR Needle stakes to use with my Lightheart Solong 6, I have not used them yet but they are more substantial than the Ti Shepherd stakes and weigh almost the same.

Images

I went the route of 7in brown aluminum gutter spikes. And at .49 oz (or 14g) and $0.49 each they do the job jas as well as anyother tent peg.
    20150630_140334.jpg

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...id=body_rv_img

Okay, so I cheaped out on tent pegs, but I could not fathom $3+ each or $20-$30 for a pack of pegs. I did it once and they performed no better.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by kadowookiee View Post
    I've almost bought these on several occasions, but how do they hold up against the regular groundhogs? Am I better off with the full size?
    Bigger is always better in regards to holding strength, but I've been perfectly fine with the mini groundhogs in almost every situation. Only place the larger ones would have held better so far is in sand. I've even found the smaller mini's were more conductive in gravel-like areas because they could more easily slip between hidden rocks under the surface - and even with pounding them in with a rock, they don't look any worse for wear.

Also take note of nearby objects/trees/rocks/etc. to tie down to. Many tents can also be setup in freestanding mode and don't need anything but the weight in your pack inside (to keep the tent from blowing away) to stay put.

I use MSR groundhogs for the ridgeline tie-outs since those are the most crucial and receive the most stress. Ti shepard hooks work fine for the rest.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cycle003 View Post
    I use MSR groundhogs for the ridgeline tie-outs since those are the most crucial and receive the most stress. Ti shepard hooks work fine for the rest.
    +1. This is exactly what I do for my Zpack's Duplex tent.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

The titanium stakes on zpacks site held up well, would get bent hammering into the ground but would easily regain shape to pitch

I love these, very strong and compact. Not as light as the thinner needle style but much stronger:

http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium...s=toaks+stakes

Journal Entries

Shephard hooks worked fine on the AT with the occasional rock on top as reinforcement for the critical stake on the Zpack. Hex tent. Due to losing one Shephard hook I replaced it with a imitation ground hog from Wally World. And cut it down to mini groundhog size. Amazing hold over the Shephard hook for that critical stake and less then a dollar plus a bit of labor and tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:banana

Best to bring a small variety. I'd recommend two groundhogs, two nail/shepherd style, and a full set (as many as your tent needs) of the following:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Journal Entries

Overall, thin ti skewer stakes cant be beat.

They will go inbetween rocks in rocky ground when you cannot get others in 2".

Just be prepared to put rocks on them in some places. You dont even need stakes, rocks and sticks work fine, stakes are a convenience.

Typical pitch in solid rock slab
    14110049639340.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-14-2015 at 00:26.

Regular MSR ground hogs will take a beating and hold REALLY good, Ground hog minis... eh, my buddy got them and the weight savings vs strength I don't think is worth the trade off. I carry a 4 MSR ground hogs and 6 carbon stakes... worse case I can make stakes with sticks or use rocks to tie out too.

+2... Ti shepherd hooks + ground hogs for the ridge line. Shepherd hooks can be coaxed into small cracks when nothing else will. But a loop tied to a stick or small rock for a chock, with a big rock placed on top works pretty darn well. However, take some spare cordage because over time rocks will abrade the cord, sometimes quickly if it's windy and a guyline is rubbing against a rough rock.

Images

I use the big Easton nail stakes, two 9-inch for the ridgeline tie outs and 6-inch for the rest. They are light and strong, though like most stakes they can bend if jammed hard in rocky soil.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've also been using the mini groundhog stakes with my Duplex and they've worked well.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I've been using a set of MSR Groundhogs for years, and they work great. The one thing I really like about them is if you get into hard soil you can pound them in with a rock pretty easily, and they take the pounding without issue.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kadowookiee View Post
    I've got a a couple sets of regular ti shepard stakes but they bend easy in rocky ground and they don't hold well in soft ground. I'm looking for a versatile stake I can rely on for a thru since I plan on tenting as much as possible. Any recommendations?
    All Ti Shepard Hook stakes are definitely not created equal. Some are made from thicker Ti. Off the top of my head I've seen Shepard Hook stakes in 2.8., 3, 3.2., 3.5, 3.8., and 4 mm thick Ti. There are different lengths that increase holding power. Shape of the hook differs too that allows some pounding into even heavier compacted slightly rocky ground. ie; the ones from Lawson Equipment(I'd spray paint them orange day glo though) Joe at Zpacks gives a good run down and Vargo gives some info on choosing appropriate stakes for your needs too.
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml
    http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-tent-stakes.html

Quote Originally Posted by cycle003 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    +1. This is exactly what I do for my Zpack's Duplex tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +2... Ti shepherd hooks + ground hogs for the ridge line. Shepherd hooks can be coaxed into small cracks when nothing else will...
    All these approaches make sense because those that typically employ a ZPacks Duplex do it for wt saving goals. With proper siting of your shelter AND considering the Duplex uses 8 stakes(distributes forces on stakes well) AND as Cycle003 is aware the ridgeline stakes tend to experience the most force making greater holding power stakes most critical for those stake sites you can still get away with perhaps lower holding power and possibly hence lower wt stakes in the other areas.

Lots of possibly rocky rooty campsites on an AT thru but very little overall in sand. And, since the AT is largely a forested hike with abundant loose rocks it's usually nor difficult to anchor by tying off in part rather than always staking out all 8 guyout pts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++