WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    So while it may not hold much weight for you, it does for myself and others.
    I'm sure......
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I just finished my first stoveless 10 day trip. OMG. I am totally a convert!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    As for morning coffee, I'm going to experiment with the Starbucks cold vias. I'm not a fan of flavored coffee but willing to give it a try. I've tried regular via cold and didn't like it.
    I agree with you about the flavored coffees. I had a good experience with Nido and regular Starbucks Via cold. I found it worked well to make the coffee and let it sit for 10 mins so the coffee fully dissolves. I wanted the Nido/coffee for calories more than caffeine. I also took a No-Dose one day and skipped coffee and that worked well, too.
    Last edited by DLP; 08-01-2015 at 13:33.

PS. I took my pot with the plan to buy Esbit if I really hated being stoveless. I resupplied at Echo Lake Chalet and they did not have Esbit. I also LOVED, LOVED, LOVED being stoveless and missed hot coffee for about 27 seconds one morning. So it all worked out.

One of the most surprising things to me was the times I was most glad to be stoveless. I thought I would miss hot food when it was cold and/or rainy. I was so glad to just be able to quickly eat and go to bed. I mostly ate "lunch" things, so I had no cleanup nor washing of pot in the rain/cold. But I often eat lunch food for dinner at home. (In 108 degree Visalia taking care of parents. )

Thank you to Mags and all who have gone stoveless and wrote about it.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    That logic lead me to try caffeine pills intead of drinking coffee. That experiment lasted one 10 day walk. At the resupply the coffee returned.

One of these days I will try the cold option.... maybe.
    Never thought about caffeine pills...hmmm....naw.

I am a big coffee drinker when at home and in town. But for some reason when I am hiking I don't seem to care about it. I have taken the tea bag coffee things a few times but did not care for them and now I just don't worry about it. But there is lots of caffeine in chocolate and some of the energy bars so it is not like I am not getting some. I actually like cold coffee but then I lived in Greece for a few years and cold coffee in the summer is a staple there.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    PS. I took my pot with the plan to buy Esbit if I really hated being stoveless. I resupplied at Echo Lake Chalet and they did not have Esbit. I also LOVED, LOVED, LOVED being stoveless and missed hot coffee for about 27 seconds one morning. So it all worked out.

One of the most surprising things to me was the times I was most glad to be stoveless. I thought I would miss hot food when it was cold and/or rainy. I was so glad to just be able to quickly eat and go to bed. I mostly ate "lunch" things, so I had no cleanup nor washing of pot in the rain/cold. But I often eat lunch food for dinner at home. (In 108 degree Visalia taking care of parents. )

Thank you to Mags and all who have gone stoveless and wrote about it.
    Just in case it was not mentioned (I did not read the whole thread). I am not using a stove either. One can rehydrate things like ramen, instant potatoes and those kind of dishes without hot water. I find that I don't have to buy anything different than I was before as I have always stayed away from items which require any cooking time. So when I decided to try and stop cooking I went in the kitchen and put all the different meals in zipo lock bags and poured cold water in them and they checked the time on how long it was till they were ready. Not long at all. Simple solution and it gets rid of significant weight.

The only time I might be tempted to do otherwise is if one was going to be in snow for several days or more and there might be a need to melt it for water. If you have to have water and all that is available is snow or ice and you have no stove that is an issue. If there is no way to focus the sun well enough to cause melting the last option is body heat. And that sucks big time.

Images

Man can not live on cold food :-))))

I carried a stove for a few days, and decided to go without a stove on the AT. Had no issues with resupply and no maildrops from GA to PA. Mixed oatmeal in my peanut butter jar. Quick starts in the morning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++