WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Installing a zipper.

I've got a Haglof sleeping bag cover / bivy-lite (water proof bottom, breathable top) that I use in some weather conditions in my far-too-large collection of floorless shelters to keep the bag clean, add a bit of warmth and a bit of extra protection in foul weather. But it is top entry and I don't think I can take another season of trying to shimmy into that damn thing. I'm thinking of adding a center zipper to the thing and then I ran across an item on the ZPacks site: "#3 Non-Separating Continuous Coil Zipper Tape" (http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml).

Some questions:

While it says "tape", I assume you have to sew the zipper?

What prevents the zipper slider from coming off (in either direction)?

Do I need to know what i'm doing to accomplish this or can a DIY newbie accomplish this?

Any information or tips are appreciated

From my meager experience with needle and thread, I'd suggest that you find a local tailor/seamstress.

Most don't charge that much for something that they consider relatively simple and your risk vs. reward here seems to be a very skewed ratio.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm#ZIPPER TIPS & INFO

Go to the bottom.
    Zippers are either separating (like a jacket).
    "Tape" just means a continuous coil zipper.

It may be simpler for you to just go to a fabric store- they sell separating zippers up to 100" long. That way you don't have to worry about all the parts and pieces. Likely it will cost less than shipping from Zpacks.
    JoAnn sells a #3 zipper that is very light I think 78" then it jumps to 100" for sleeping bags.

It may not be super pretty, but you can turn the bivy inside out- sew the zipper in with two straight stitches per side- flip it over and run a seam ripper right down the center. Use a lighter (carefully) to sear the edges. If you need to trim the zipper follow the instructions on quest but basically if you cut it 1/2" long you just flip the tape over and stitch it so the zipper can't fly off the top. If you are cutting the top of the bivy, you can also use the edge of the tape to hide the cut you'll have to make in the top.

It's not hard to make your own, but for a one-off modification project it may not be worth your time (and trial and error) to get it right.

Bunch of Toms and Bills on this thread.

hmm? I hear ya about the shimmying into the Haglofs zipperless bag cover/bivy but you might best be saved putting a shortish zip length on the side unless you do the center zip in a WP version.

It has shock cord running around the top that meets in the center so it can be drawn up like a hood. I was thinking a center zip will allow me to not totally mess with that mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Bunch of Toms and Bills on this thread.
    ...could be worse, could be a bunch of Harry, Dicks.

Are you trying to get put in time out? Grinning.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++