WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2" suspension rule. Is there anyplace on the trail this applies to?

I just reciently found out there is a 2 inch strap requirement in Florida, and heard it might go into effect in NY. Are there any other spots on the trail I should know about?

For the straps on what?

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    For the straps on what?
    @ inch straps to suspend your hammock from trees. It is a rule in the State Parks in florida and I live close enough to make it practical to get a set.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, a piece of 1/6" spectra cordage can do a job on some less furrowed trees.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, a piece of 1/6" spectra cordage can do a job on some less furrowed trees.
    I've heard NY has the 2 inch tree strap rule as well, but I was wondering if any other states along the AT might have this rule, since I want to make a go at a NOBO in a few years after I graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I've heard NY has the 2 inch tree strap rule as well, but I was wondering if any other states along the AT might have this rule, since I want to make a go at a NOBO in a few years after I graduate.
    Dunno, maybe post same on Hammock forums.

That rule was applied in the Ocala National Forest in Florida when I hiked there 2 years ago. My hammock was OK since I use straps anyway. I had to go to the camp store and buy straps to hang my food sack. The camp host watched me hang my food then told me about the rule, said I had to take it down until I had a strap (that I could buy at the store). Two hours later a USFS ranger came by to check that I used a strap on the tree. He said the rule applied to anything tied to a tree, including my clothes line.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    That rule was applied in the Ocala National Forest in Florida when I hiked there 2 years ago. My hammock was OK since I use straps anyway. I had to go to the camp store and buy straps to hang my food sack. The camp host watched me hang my food then told me about the rule, said I had to take it down until I had a strap (that I could buy at the store). Two hours later a USFS ranger came by to check that I used a strap on the tree. He said the rule applied to anything tied to a tree, including my clothes line.
    What park were you at when this happened. And what size straps did you use for your hammock and food bag? Just curious because this is our home turf.

Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    What park were you at when this happened. And what size straps did you use for your hammock and food bag? Just curious because this is our home turf.
    I was at Alexander Springs in the Ocala NF. I have 2" straps for my hammock. The set I had to buy at the camp store are the same width but I had to buy the set which consisted of two straps and two heavy steel "S" hooks. Then I had to carry extra strap and the two S hooks for five days.
    If I had known about the rule I could have brought another strap from home for less weight - and cost.

Images

Florida State parks use to ban hammock hanging from trees until recently due to the efforts of some folks on HammockForums.net. They now allow hammocks to be hung with 2 inch wide tree straps. Supposedly the parks where going to set up some posts at some sites just for hammock campers to use.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Just curios, what are these 2-inch straps made of and how thick are they?

Fire truck seat belt. 2" and DOT

[QUOTE=life scout;1989622]Fire truck seat belt. 2" and DOT rated to 8,000 lbs.

You had to hang food with a strap? That sounds like someone just wants to stop campers. What did you get, a 50 foot 2" strap? Maybe I am reading this wrong?

The 2 inch rule is limited to Florida State Parks. National Parks within FL have been notified that Florida rules do not apply in National Forests. Hopefully you won't run into that again.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

You only need a 2" portion that surrounds the tree or limb. the rest of the strap assembly can be whatever diameter line or strap you wish
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    You had to hang food with a strap? That sounds like someone just wants to stop campers. What did you get, a 50 foot 2" strap? Maybe I am reading this wrong?
    Lol, sounds difficult, right? I'm trying to imagine arranging that after a long, rainy day.
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    Lol, sounds difficult, right? I'm trying to imagine arranging that after a long, rainy day.
    Reading this thread inspired me. Hanging food can certainly damage tree limbs.
    I started a thread showing how to do a simple food hang using a short piece of strap that works very well.

I'll try to make a video at some point to show how easily to goes together. I'm not sure my description really does it credit.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I haven't heard of the 2" strap rule in NY. Just make sure you use webbing straps to protect the trees and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Only uneducated or irresponsible hammock campers wouldn't use some sort of protection for the trees. I've never heard of anyone using cordage to hang their hammock. Given, there are people out there who don't know any better.

Whenever I'm on the trail I always see people using webbing, whether cinch buckles or whoopie slings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++