Thread: Starting out

Default Starting out

First off I'm starting off completely as a newbie in trail hiking. I grew up in the PA country side (which is slowly being developed grr) and would take small hikes into a camp site that my dad found during the summers on the Susquehanna. I know basic camp information but I think it's waaaay different than trail hiking. I am looking for a starting point and could use suggestions on how to start training and other hiking knowledge. Other than that kind of training there seems to be so much info out there that it's over whelming. I just need a little direction on where to start! Thank you for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kat9Maui View Post
    First off I'm starting off completely as a newbie in trail hiking. I grew up in the PA country side (which is slowly being developed grr) and would take small hikes into a camp site that my dad found during the summers on the Susquehanna. I know basic camp information but I think it's waaaay different than trail hiking. I am looking for a starting point and could use suggestions on how to start training and other hiking knowledge. Other than that kind of training there seems to be so much info out there that it's over whelming. I just need a little direction on where to start! Thank you for any help!
    to White Blaze!

With the amount of gear out there the "just getting started" phase can be the hardest! In order to help you get the most suitable information for what you are looking to do, may I ask what are your goals? Are you looking to hike the AT, or just looking to get into day hiking/backpacking?

The best training is to get out on the trail and enjoy! Unfortunately, that is probably not the answer you are looking for! Are you inquiring about training in the gym, or is yours a question that follows the "what can I do to get out there" path? Or, are you looking for more specific info on the AT in PA?

Let's start with these questions - The answers will most likely evolve as you give us a little more background and as others chime in. The short answer is that the only thing you really need to have to get out on the trail is the desire to do so! Everything else just is just frosting on the cake. The great thing about hiking is that it is just walking in really neat areas. Gear and working out prior to hiking can certainly enhance your trip, but it is just walking. If you can walk, you can hike. It is waaay too easy to get caught up in all the "talk" about hiking.

I hope the information that comes in will prove to be helpful in your quest!

Water Rat

Images

If it were me, I'd start out by doing day-hikes and meeting others who might share your interest, and learning from them. Just from a quick web search, I found the Lancaster Hiking Club (http://lancasterhikingclub.angelfire.com/), the Keystone Trail Association (http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?op...d=25&Itemid=35) and the hiking Meet-ups for your area (http://hiking.meetup.com/cities/us/pa/lancaster/). I'd suggest going on some hikes with some of these folks, talking to them about the good options for hiking and backpacking in your area, and also finding out whether there are any group overnights you can join. Then, too, you can hopefully borrow some gear for your first few trips, just to make sure you are actually going to like backpacking (before you spend $$$$ on gear).

I first started out backpacking with the Boy Scouts (as a parent chaperon) and then I was fortunate to have a local friend who was really, really into long-distance hiking. He lent me lots of gear and gave me good advice right at the beginning. The internet can be great but as you say, it is an information overload and you need someone to filter it for you!

Good luck and have fun!

Jane in CT

Images

If it were me, I'd start out by doing day-hikes and meeting others who might share your interest, and learning from them. Just from a quick web search, I found the Lancaster Hiking Club (http://lancasterhikingclub.angelfire.com/), the Keystone Trail Association (http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?op...d=25&Itemid=35) and the hiking Meet-ups for your area (http://hiking.meetup.com/cities/us/pa/lancaster/). I'd suggest going on a few hikes with some of these folks, talking to them about the good options for hiking and backpacking in your area, and also finding out whether there are any group overnights you can join. Then, too, you can hopefully borrow some gear for your first few trips, just to make sure you are actually going to like backpacking (before you spend $$$$ on gear).

I first started out backpacking with the Boy Scouts (as a parent chaperon) and then I was fortunate to have a local friend who was really, really into long-distance hiking. He lent me lots of gear and gave me good advice right at the beginning. The internet can be great but as you say, it is an information overload and you need someone to filter it for you!

Good luck and have fun!

Jane in CT

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb A few ways to start

Your post indicates that you have some experience in hiking and camping, and that you enjoy both. Great! Backpacking is simply combining these two skills.
    Your question seems to be the typical question of HOW to make this combination.

As others have noted, the FASTEST and BEST way is to just DO IT. As you do so, you'll make innumerable mistakes.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...-the-Year-quot
    HOPEFULLY, you'll learn from your mistakes, and find a style of backpacking that YOU are happy with.
    Unfortunately, the only way to find what that style is, is to just go out there.

But it IS a legitimate question to ask, "How do I make sure I don't make a complete idiot of myself, like GoldenBear did?"
    Here, you've got a few options.

1) Join a club for a couple of treks. GSingJane has noted a few of these; and they all have hikes where you'll be with a group of people who can give you tons of advice.

2) Find a friend who's experienced with this. If you start asking about, you might well find someone you know who's been doing this for years, and wouldn't mind having you tag along for a trip or two. This could result in a lifelong BFF -- or making a mortal enemy of a former friend.

3) Do some simple overnights, on your own; to ensure you have good equipment, find a style you're comfortable with, and build your confidence.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...tart-somewhere

If you do any of these steps, you might find that backpacking simply ISN'T something you enjoy. You wouldn't be the first to try it and hate it, and you won't be the last.
    If that happens, just find another hobby.
    Or you might find, after a few nights in the back-country, that you're asking, "Why did I think this would be difficult?"
    If that happens, just keep expanding how long you stay on the trail.
    You'll probably find something in between.
    In that case, just find the commitment level you enjoy.

In a few years, you might well go from embarrassment at your incompetence, to giving advice to newbies.

++ New Posts ++