WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sweat and Wet Clothes

In prep to learn a thing or two as I plan for my possible 2016 thru-hike, I went out for a 2-day backpacking trip in my "nearby" (2-hours' drive) State Park a couple days ago. What has been said about cotton clothing is advice well-taken, but I must note that even my synthetic running jersey and running shorts were still damp the next morning after being hung up overnight (no wind to aid the drying process--though I'm glad I was able to shelter them from the RAIN that night!)

I have read that some thru-hikers carry only a couple sets of clothes...one worn, one packed to stay dry. Is it just an expectation that we're going to be wet and smelly on the A.T. during summer months? Clothes were immediately soaked in sweat again yesterday shortly after beginning the remainder of my hike.

Appreciate any advice. I can deal with being wet every day, just want to know if this is just kind of expected for summer A.T. hikers...
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Images

Sleep in dry clothes and stick those damp clothes under your sleeping bag . Expect to have some residual dampness during hot humid conditions.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I set up a clothesline as soon as we get to camp, and hang our wet nasty hiking clothes up to air out and maybe even dry a bit. The next morning we put them back on and keep hiking. Even soaking wet it's not that bad (really!) especially since we use lightweight merino wool tops and socks. Just wring them out and put them on and start hiking.

You'll be wet and smelly all the time on the AT, not just in the summer months.

When you get to town, get a shower and put on your mostly-clean camp clothes, then do do laundry. If everything is nasty, put on your rain gear and do laundry. If you are really lucky, the hostel where you are staying will have clothes you can wear while you do laundry.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm wondering if I should go with some other sort of technology for clothes, or if running clothes will work (I am a runner...) I've read about Railriders pants which are supposed to be quick drying and may also provide additional protection against poison ivy and ticks. And black flies. What do folks here think about hiking in long pants such as these?

https://www.railriders.com/men-eco-m...eld-p-837.html

I have numerous tick bites and a little poison ivy. Thinking that long, quick-drying pants would help alleviate these issues, and these are supposed to be cool. Running shorts are comfortable, but offer no protection from poison ivy and ticks.

When I get into camp, I'll wear my sweaty hiking clothes for an hour or so. Body heat is the engine that drives the moisture wicking process in technical fabrics, and they will soon dry. If I'm in camp for a bit, I'll air the shirt out in the sun to help control odor, and after washing, but it will dry faster if I wear it.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

You're going to get damp and smelly a good portion of your time on the trail. It's part of the ambiance.

Try Sawyer's Picaridin lotion for repellent or better yet, treat clothing with permethrin.

Zip-off hiking pants are a nice option. I use OR Equinox zip-offs and am quite satisfied with them. I feel sorry for those who are allergic to poison ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    You're going to get damp and smelly a good portion of your time on the trail. It's part of the ambiance.

Try Sawyer's Picaridin lotion for repellent or better yet, treat clothing with permethrin.

Zip-off hiking pants are a nice option. I use OR Equinox zip-offs and am quite satisfied with them. I feel sorry for those who are allergic to poison ivy.

Thankfully, I think I've built up some immunity to poison ivy since my childhood. I get some little bubbles, but don't yet have any from this recent hike. LOTS of ticks, though, which is concerning. I'll check into the lotion you mentioned. Permethrin would work if I were wearing long clothes...but am in shorts for the time being.

Very seldom did any of my clothing 'dry' on the AT. It sometimes became 'less wet.' Less humidity & some direct sunlight is what you need. You just don't get it very much on the AT. As previously mentioned, wearing your clothes to dry them helps (unless it is really cold & your body temps are plummeting).

I always kept dry clothes to sleep in every night (typically, long underwear tops & bottoms if it wasn't too hot & some dry socks). Cold, wet socks & shoes was a bit unpleasant to put on every morning in the beginning (Mar & Apr). I brought a waterproof stuff sack for my shoes & slept w/ them to keep them from freezing solid @ night. When it warmed up some, I mailed it home along w/ some other stuff.

With the rain that I experienced, I later added an additional pair of socks (3 total) & a spare wicking T-shirt (cheapest one & could buy in Hot Springs). I made sure that I kept one pair of my running shorts (my underwear) clean for town use while washing the remainder of my clothes.

If you are contemplating a 5-mo hike, you might check out my schedule that I kept. There is a link in the signature on my post. I kept pretty good records of when I started & stopped each day along w/ the mileage. I was 58 when I hiked. You are much younger so you may end up going faster if you want.

Good luck in your planning.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

All of the above are exactly the tips you need:

* wear the wet clothes for a bit in camp to dry them out
    * sleep in dry clothes and place the now near-dry clothes under your sleeping bag to dry out (things like socks and undies can go IN the bottom of your bag to dry out
    * put the now dry (practically dry, or at least warm/wet) clothes back on and hike in them the next day

Unless it's sunny, there's a good breeze, or the humidity is low, clotheslines don't usually work very well on a hiker's timeline other than to 'air out' clothes.

Finally, a great tip for colder weather, if you roll into camp and your clothes are damp, throw your semi-permeable rain/wind layer on. The heat it traps will dry out the layer underneath in no time at all (tried and true tip from military service).

Images

Yes, running clothes are IMHO ideal. The key is to absolutely minimize the amount of clothing you wear in "wet conditions" These can be rain or just hot and sweaty conditions. By doing this there is less fabric to dry regardless of your dry method, be it body heat, clothes line etc.

Journal Entries

Do not expect anything to dry overnight on the AT.

If you stop at ~430, and wear them for a few hrs, they may dry up mostly before bed, then dry the rest of the way overnight if you wear them.

If you take them off, expect them to still be wet in the morning.

Like others have said you have to wear them dry.
    Hanging them up will do very little unless you are in the sun.

Even if I'm soaked I will wring out my shirt and put it back on with a rain jacket or wind shirt over it.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Another thought: don't be afraid to give your clothes a good rinsing now and again between town visits. Synthetics can get pretty rank and salt encrusted when you sweat in them a lot.

I've found that I can haul some water up away a bit from a source and hand wash using some Dr. Bronner's and then dry my stuff about as well as if it were just damp. And it feels a lot better to wear when it's been washed.

The AT has it's quirks.
    Being dry is something that is a rarity on it.
    If you want to hike and be dry, I suggest the PCT for you.

Either wear your wet clothes or put them under your sleeping bag.
    Hanging them doesn't do much, except perhaps on tops of mountains.
    Sleeping near water is the worst place to try drying.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    The AT has it's quirks.
    Being dry is something that is a rarity on it.
    If you want to hike and be dry, I suggest the PCT for you.

Either wear your wet clothes or put them under your sleeping bag.
    Hanging them doesn't do much, except perhaps on tops of mountains.
    Sleeping near water is the worst place to try drying.

All, thank you for the replies. This sounds about as I had expected, and I have to chuckle. Sounds like being damp most of the time is just the way things are going to be. That is OK. I just wanted to know I can expect it. The main thing that bothers me is that socks aren't going to dry out...but after 2 days of hiking recently I came across no issues with my feet despite wet socks (Toesox plus a running sock over each).

Trail running shoes with a rock plate in the sole are THE BEST!!!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Another thought: don't be afraid to give your clothes a good rinsing now and again between town visits. Synthetics can get pretty rank and salt encrusted when you sweat in them a lot.

I've found that I can haul some water up away a bit from a source and hand wash using some Dr. Bronner's and then dry my stuff about as well as if it were just damp. And it feels a lot better to wear when it's been washed.
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Nearly every afternoon I look for a good washing spot then put my clothes back on wet and wear them dry. By the time I camp, they're usually dry and clean enough, at least no worse than they were 24 hours earlier. It's a nice cool-down on hot afternoons, too. This method allows me to use only one set of clothing on thru hikes. "Camp clothes" are a luxury I reserve for shorter hikes.

I never try to line-dry clothing any more. It works maybe one night in a hundred, when relative humidity is low and there's a warm breeze. Putting wet items under my sleeping pad usually works best, even in winter conditions.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Wearing wet clothes is more of an aesthetically uncomfortable situation than a major problem with my wool base layers. They still insulate and perform as I need them to. One thing I really like (among many) about western trails is how rapidly clothing dries in the low humidity. I remember hiking in the Grand Canyon and washing out my clothes and they were dry literally fifteen minutes later on my clothesline.

Definitely be aware of skin issues when continuously wearing sweat-encrusted clothing. I'd rather wear freshly rinsed (wet) hiking clothing than almost dry salt-encrusted hiking clothing. Rashes and skin issues can wreck a hike or worse.

I used RailRiders exclusively for my 2013 Flip Flop. Loved them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm wondering if I should go with some other sort of technology for clothes, or if running clothes will work (I am a runner...) I've read about Railriders pants which are supposed to be quick drying and may also provide additional protection against poison ivy and ticks.
    Regarding long pants, I carry either zip-offs or just polypro or wool long underwear to wear under shorts if it's cool. Both long underwear and zip offs for winter. Most days if it is above 40 or 45 degrees, shorts.

Be very careful counting on long pants to guard against poison ivy. The oils will get on the pants and spread it as you are putting them on or taking them off. Having poison ivy oils on you clothing can change a local, mild case of rash to a much more intense and widespread problem if you get my drift. The best way to avoid poison ivy problems is to learn to recognize and avoid the plant. Also, each exposure often is worse than the previous as you body becomes more sensitive to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++