WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a few UL suggestions

Greetings all,

In the planning and training stages for the PCT and working on ultra light kit research. A couple pieces are on my mind currently.

Firstly I have a range of knives I usually bring with me on the trail, some with excellent lightness, but none of my light ones have any serrated portions, so as I'm looking to buy anyway I'd like to find a good piece you UL thru hiking vets would be happy to have on the trail with you. Durable, light weight, and versatile enough that you'd be happy with it as the only blade for the whole trail.

On the other side of things, we certainly have a line of brands we're familiar with for bags and tents which are superb UL designed with the thru hiker in mind, and we may certainly go for them. However, as REI does a few member sales a year where we can get items for a quarter price or less, I'd love if there are any REI carried brands you guys would consider trekking with that are good enough quality and wouldn't make you weep for the weight.

I much appreciate any suggestions!

Images

So I assume you're something of an enthusiast, so please don't take this the wrong way . I like the little Gerber EZ Out Jr with the partially serrated blade. Small, light, and cheap, I don't worry if I lose it (which I have done). I know it's not fancy, but it works. This one or its big brother is clipped inside my shorts pocket at all times on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'd get a snap-off from Wally world or similar. Happens I like pocket knives but have never, ever had to use one to do more than open a Freeze Dry package or shorten a piece of cord.
    A survivalist would say that you need a bolo or something even bigger, but I'm not seeing me chase down and slay a Saber-Tooth or the like any time soon.
    YMMV of course.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Any knife with a blade longer than 1.5" or weight over 1 oz is overkill. What are you going to use it for? Carving that wooden chess set you've always wanted? Fending off killer mountain lions? No--you'll use it to cut cheese or salami and maybe to clip your nails. Go with a leatherman micra, swiss army classic, or the equivalent.

Swiss army classic is all I've ever felt a need for.

I too have been on a UL knife search.

The ones that keep catching my eye are...

Case Blackhorn
    Buck Nano Bantam
    Gerber Ultralight LST
    Spyderco Ladybug

The first three are made in the US, Spyderco is Japan.
    All range in weight from .7-.5 oz.
    The ladybug is probably the nicest and lightest of the four and has a serrated option.
    They are the priciest also but not crazy expensive.

Why do you want a serrated option?

I also have a Swiss Army classic that I have carried for years. The functions and weight of it makes it a winner but the blade itself is just too thin and does not hold an edge well at all.

GAME 06

As a maker of hand made knifes and also a friend to one of the best knifemakers in the US I offer the following.

Serrated blades are useless. They are a fad from the Rambo movies and others like that. No knife expert ever carries one. Serrated edges do not cut better they cut far worse than a regular blade. Serrated edges catch on things and stick instead of cutting. They are also a bitch to sharpen where a straight blade can be sharpened on a rock of the right shape and hardness.

Get a very tiny folder with a plastic handle. It is all you need.

My carries are the gerber ultralight lst $12 and the Ontario RAT $22. Lst is literally 1/10 the weight of the RAT. RAT sits at home on the coffee table unless I'm hiking 3 days away from civilization or canoeing.

Lst sees most of the action consequently. People complain that it's cheap steel, won't last etc...but it's $12 and I can just pick up another if it takes a crap on me.

Also check out the Swedish mora knives if folders aren't your thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also I'm a taller guy so most of the rei tents just don't offer enough space...a tarptent protrail solo or smd lunar duo pretty much kicks the snot out of anything rei offers on sale...unless you really need a freestanding tent. Too bad you missed the light heart gear clearance sale last month!

Before you drop your silver at rei keep in mind that amazon will be running a one day mega sale for prime members June 14.

Much appreciate all the responses everyone! Some of the light gerbers are definitely grabbing my attention, and with such a low price and a very reasonable weight, why not.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the tents and packs that will offer some decent quality but still be in the ultra like ballpark? We will likely be buying a round of things in the interim and if they work for us they can come with us on the PCT, for example a pack like this: http://www.campmor.com/Product___85583

Thanks again all!

My brother has an osprey exos 48 and it's pretty nice if you're packing sub 25 lbs and have a few extra bux. He loaded it to 30+ lbs last week with 5 days of food...but we were canoeing.

50L seems small for thru hiking tho unless you really know what you're doing.

I can't recommend the ula circuit enough but it isn't cheap. It carries 35 to 40 lbs comfortably where the exos struggles. Very flexible pack.

It all depends on what you're carrying which in turn depends on where/when you're hiking.

50L is definitely more than I was aiming for but looking for viable options that save $$. No thru-hiking experience yet so finding the right long term volume needs isn't there yet, but PCT is the first long-hike planned.

Rather, I meant to say 65L is more what I was looking for, 50L is a bit small.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Swiss army classic is all I've ever felt a need for.
    ^This. And I generally only use the little scissors. However, I did have a streak of bad luck on the PCT that required full use of all blades and tools to repair my trekking poles that I broke three times in three days. This is why I do believe my previous blade of choice, straight razor blade is stupid light.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PottedPlant View Post
    50L is definitely more than I was aiming for but looking for viable options that save $$. No thru-hiking experience yet so finding the right long term volume needs isn't there yet, but PCT is the first long-hike planned.
    Recommend buying your pack last after you have the rest of your gear pared down. If you really get all the way to UL you will likely find that you thru hike volume is more driven by food capacity than it is gear. Most of my weight and volume was food and water. example: my pack weighed 24 lbs leaving the border, 8 lbs gears, 8 lbs water, 8 lbs food. If I were to do the exact trail at the exact time again it would be 8 lbs gear, 4 lbs water, 2-3 lbs food. I would do a quick resupply at either Moreno or Laguna. The point is often hikers get fixated on food but you will quickly learn that good resupply and water management strategies are every bit as important.

As an ultralight enthusiast and lover of knives. I carry a Mora 2/0 in a homemade kydex kneck sheath. Weighs 2.1 ounces. I consider it one of my luxury items due to its heavier weight than most ul knives. Does everything I need to on the trail and I can process wood with it for my wood stove. Some hikers say a knife is something they use once a month on a long hike.. For some reason, I use mine everyday. Old habits die hard. If you enjoy using a knife in everyday life then you will on the trail. And yeah.. I do some carving to pass the time. Furthermore, I have sanded down and modified the handle on mine. You can even buy just the blade and make your own handle. Carbon steel. Mora quality. Great choice for a "real" knife while hiking light.

On another note, with proper gear selection you shouldn't have a problem hiking the pct with a 50L pack. If you have a pack now use it on some shakedown hikes and take a hard look at your gear. Make changes, improve your kit, buy a pack for that kit and then hit the pct. There's no right or wrong answer. However, without long distance experience you may say well my gear doesn't fit in anything less than a 65L pack. Which sometimes just packing gear a different way could fit all that gear in a 50L. As I said, do some shakedowns, get down to what you NEED. I say bring zero luxury items. If you truly miss/want something then pick it up at your first town stop. Its hard for some people to do it, but getting rid of all those luxuries is sometimes more fufilling than having them. You must find what makes you happy on the trail

blades.png

if you have a dremal tool you can grind serrations. Just a little at a time so as to not take out the temper.

++ New Posts ++