Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: trowel

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Okay. Now that 2 others have admitted it, I will too. I carry a QiWiz trowel. I am not as talented as those that can dig a suitable hole with a stick or heel or stake.
    All the trowel love in this thread has me in tears. I can dig it!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

It's hard to imagine digging a proper cathole that will be deep enough to fulfill its functions of preventing the following:

• contaminating water sources
    • spreading disease through insects
    • attracting animals
    • disgusting hikers

and not so wide and shallow that it disturbs more plants and soil than necessary. I used my shoeheels and bootheels on my '87 thru, before Leave No Trace was around. Haven't done it since I learned a better way.

Digging a hole in the Appalachian mountains is sometimes hard work with the best of lightweight hand-carried implements. I don't mind carrying a pack all day, but digging a cathole with trekking poles? There is always some better way to spend my time in the woods.

My personal preference is to carry a snow stake *and* a Qi Wiz (or something similar) for a grand total of 1.5 oz. Then I'm covered no matter what kind of conditions. Carrying two "trowels" is my fun little luxury.

I use http://www.dutchwaregear.com/deuce-scoop.html. But I prefer to try to time things to correspond to privies when possible.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

This post has been removed by the poster because of an unwitting violation of the site's terms of service.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 08-19-2015 at 23:52.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

My last extended hike I carried a trowel. In a great burst of brilliance I cut off the handle to make it lighter. I then had to work my butt off digging a hole with no leverage. Hmmm, should have thought that thru. Digging a hole is important, I have run into those spots where people didn't . . . . Not the same subject but I also take along witch hazel wipes for a final swipe. You have to let things dry but you won't get monkey butt.

If you're "regular" with your timing in the morning, you can dig your latrine the night before. It really helps to have a properly dug hole ready to go. At least for me, haha.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

An apology for making my earlier post. I came here from the 'What's New' page and failed to notice that this was the women's forum.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

wanna be hiker trash

Amen. I just made a transaction with Q. We all have to eat. I would rather give back to our community than spend it on E Bay.

Another +1, +1 for QiWiz. I used to try with the orange plastic shovel, I could never dig an even half way hole, it won't cut roots at all. I love my Ti from QiWiz - it cuts roots, digs easy, less than an ounce! Even it it weighed twice the plastic one I would carry it it works so well!

When I did my thru, I was surprised at how often there would be a privy where I needed it. So thus no cathole had to be dug. When that wasn't the case, if one goes well off trail and well away from water, there's almost always a small fallen tree with really soft soil at the base easy to dig in. That's what I did. So no need for trowel. I'm very LNT and never leave TP behind (except in a privy unless signs say otherwise). Wouldn't bury it even in a very deep hole. But that is just my preference.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

I carried a deuce of spades trowel on my recent Damascus to Amicalola section and was glad to have it. It worked as advertised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++