WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Is this weather pattern normal?

I don't live out in the mountains of NC/TN, but it just seems odd that it is raining so much this summer. I don't ever recall this much rain, and it's forecast to continue to do so for the forseeable future. We are going on a 6 day trip from Erwin starting Sunday, and it's 40% or better chance of thunderstorms all 6 days. Good Lord! Accuweather has 90% on Monday and Tuesday, so it's even worse than the Weather Channels' forecast

We had the same weather two years ago. Rained for three straight weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

I can remember going up on some trips in July and August and we weren't even sure we'd be able to find water, but you're right, it sometimes gets into this kind of weather.

It's like a permanent stationary front right over where we are going!

Its not unusual for an occluded weather front to set up in the Southeast. Its a stationary front that holds warm, humid air to the south and east, allowing storms to move along the frontal system. It does move north and south at times, but not far. I have seen that set up as far north as Charleston WV and as far west as Memphis at the other end.

Images

It's one of those things that, once it sets in, it's very hard to break. I guess it's the flip side of a Bermuda High.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    I don't live out in the mountains of NC/TN, but it just seems odd that it is raining so much this summer. I don't ever recall this much rain, and it's forecast to continue to do so for the forseeable future. We are going on a 6 day trip from Erwin starting Sunday, and it's 40% or better chance of thunderstorms all 6 days. Good Lord! Accuweather has 90% on Monday and Tuesday, so it's even worse than the Weather Channels' forecast
    Define normal.

Some say the Chinese dumped barrels and barrels of this liquid in the water to act as a solar blanket there by changing the temperature of the pacific and changing our current weather pattern in an attempt to control weather. Same stuff you put in swimming pools to act as a noninvasive solar blanket. Seems to be working.

It's that El Nemo~my buddy at work

...or, it could be just a Pacific Oscillation.

Nametrag, headin' your way in about a month...whats our shark situation down there? wife wants to know.

Images

They maybe had one or two attacks in Va Beach, but I think 9 down in NC. I haven't been to the beach in several years, so I haven't really kept up with it. I hate the beach and love the mountains...how ironic is that? lol

They maybe had one or two attacks in Va Beach, but I think 9 down in NC. I haven't been to the beach in several years, so I haven't really kept up with it. I hate the beach and love the mountains...how ironic is that? lol
    Brother I can totally relate, every year I get dragged to sit on the beach and twiddle my thumbs, how freaking boring is that, maybe this year we'll see some action.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Brother I can totally relate, every year I get dragged to sit on the beach and twiddle my thumbs, how freaking boring is that, maybe this year we'll see some action.

I am with you...being hot and sweaty, sunburned, with sand in places it doesn't belong, all the while being bitten by no see-ums, with your only choice of relief being to go in shark-infested waters to cool off... it is not my idea of a good time.

I am with you...being hot and sweaty, sunburned, with sand in places it doesn't belong, all the while being bitten by no see-ums, with your only choice of relief being to go in shark-infested waters to cool off... it is not my idea of a good time.
    LOL, Yup, every time i'm on the beach and looking out at the Ocean, I hear this voice directly behind me.

...C'mon Johnny, come to the mountains, ya know ya wanna. Do it Socks, bail on family...go west young man. hehe

Images

No rain the past 2 days. But, we had strong afternoon thunderstorms all last week. Seems like we have been stuck in a wet weather pattern! But, I'll definitely take it over the alternative. Springs should be flowing well when you go on your trip.

Journal Entries

Don't remember the year but my cousins visited once and it rained almost two months straight. They finally got fed up and left, and it stopped raining. So, yes, thus weather is within the norm.

Journal Entries

This has been the wettest spring and summer i can remember in the southeast, at least in the past 25 yrs or so

My daughter plays college softball. They play about 40-50 games a season. This spring, 20 games were rained or snowed out, and they dont make them up.

The afternoon summer thunderstorms have been some of the most violent ive ever seen around here too, high winds, strong lightning and torrential rain.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-07-2015 at 22:37.

I just got back from four days in the western part of North Carolina. Lots of rain. It rained every night, but mostly after we were already in our tents. We got late starts every morning, waiting for it to stop before getting out of the tent or making the final break down of camp. It would stop just after noon each day, and the afternoons were mostly dry. Of course, it would always work out that we would put on the rain gear just in time for it to stop raining, but if we didn't put it on, then it would keep coming down.

H&R.jpg

It was a good trip, but there was plenty of rain. BTW, I'm the guy on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Define normal.

Some say the Chinese dumped barrels and barrels of this liquid in the water to act as a solar blanket there by changing the temperature of the pacific and changing our current weather pattern in an attempt to control weather. Same stuff you put in swimming pools to act as a noninvasive solar blanket. Seems to be working.
    I'd like more information on that please. I know about the stuff, but can't imagine how it would work on a large scale.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I'd like more information on that please. I know about the stuff, but can't imagine how it would work on a large scale.
    Yup me to. Sorry, all I can say is I heard about his from a less than credable source (conspirathist type) but it was so outlandish it raised a brow.

...in addition it was one I'd never heard before.

Images

We are going on a 6 day trip from Erwin starting Sunday, and it's 40% or better chance of thunderstorms all 6 days. Good Lord! Accuweather has 90% on Monday and Tuesday, so it's even worse than the Weather Channels' forecast
    We just completed a six day hike in the Mt Rogers area. The first day had a 90% chance of rain with severe thunderstorms, the second day was 100% chance of rain with severe thunderstorms, then one nice day, then 50-60% chance of rain and thunderstorms every day to end the trip.

We never got a drop of rain while hiking.

Now, sure, it was threatening most of the time, dark clouds and rumbles in the distance, but we had long hours of hot sunshine, and some amazing severe thunderstorms at night, safely inside our tent (the one on the top of Whitetop was freakin' epic).

And when you go it will rain every day all day, and be clear at night when you're in your tent But in any case the forecast for the mountains may be accurate overall, but individual locations vary wildly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++