Images

Default Would it be doable to shuttle my car up the trail as I go?

Considering a 2016 thru hike since I have some time available next year. However, I have had three knee surgeries and would like to start early and take some 2-3 day breaks to keep it iced (or longer if necessary). I don't have a time frame other than as the weather allows, so I was thinking of driving to Big Bear from SC, left my car there, then when I arrive at big bear, drive to agua dulce, and caught ride back to big bear, the when arrive agua dulce, drive car to Kennedy meadows and catch shuttle back, etc. the benefit to me of this would be having a car for longer breaks, sight seeing, some supplies in car. I realize cost would be more, but would be willing to accept some additional cost. Doable or not?

I don't see why not if you are willing to spend the money and time to make it happen. If you select places that you can access via public transportation, that will be the easiest way to go. There was a lady "thru-riding" the PCT this year supported by her husband and three horses that she would rotate on the trail. It would be harder for you if you don't have a support person to move the car but I don't see why it isn't possible.

Images

If you have access to two cars you could really make it work. Leave car 1 at border, start at warner springs leaving Car 2 at W/S and hike south. When you get to border, drive car 1 to Paradise Cafe. Hike south to Warner Springs to Car 2 and repeat north. You would hike the trail south bound as you work your way north. This has been done on the PCT years ago.

As far as a single car, while doable, I suspect you would spend much of time shuttling your car. Another option is to just zero a lot. Plenty of places to do that.

There are also occasionally trail angels willing to do shuttles for a fee. A current version of Yogi's guide would help you figure out options, perhaps there's another repository of such. But certainly there are places along the way with bus transportation options if you don't want to hitch.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

++ New Posts ++