WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What size is you backpack?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Whats the size of your backpack?

What size backpack would you use or have you used for a thru hike or long distance hike?

I just got the Women's Kelty Satori 4500 and love it. It was designed for thru hikers whose carry weight varies temendously between supply stops. It's the hiker's verison of the Ghost.

The Satori is very comfortable -- and modular. I did not check a size because it is adjustable from 3500 - 4500. With all the elements, it weighs 5 lbs. 2 oz. You can remove the two large side pockets and get rid of 18 oz. You can remove other stays, levitators (help with carrying heavy loads), frame sheet, etc. and get it down to around 2 pounds if you want to. It also has a large mesh pocket on the back that is detachable and can be used as a lightweight daypack. I plan to leave it attached and carry wet things in it.

I had injured my back a few weeks back trying to carry too much weight in a Go-Lite Trek--and it also cut into my hips, so I replaced it with the Satori. I think I made a great choice.

Default Re: Whats the size of your backpack?

Originally posted by PushingDaisies
    What size backpack would you use or have you used for a thru hike or long distance hike?
    You should know the answer, as you did part of the trail last year and saw the variety of packs being used.

Myself, 4300 CI external frame. Others used something smaller.

Images

Default It's a trick question, er answer

My answer is 5000ci and up, but that is because my Gearskin could go up that high, but it never gets up to that capacity except in training hikes where I get up to about 50 pounds. This pack is so cool because it never gets slack down to about 2500ci. And it only weighs 22.5 ounces.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Mine is 0 cubic inches. I have an external frame and just strap all my bags to it. Currently I'm using walmart drybags, but I'm going to make some ripstop sil-nylon stuff-sacks pretty soon (when my fabric comes in the mail). It's easier to get to stuff, there is nothing at the "bottom" of your pack, and since most people use stuffsacks inside their own bag, why not just get rid of the outter bag? With waterproofing built in due to the sil-nylon, no pack cover is needed either. Pack frame right now weighs 2lbs with padded shoulder straps and taught mesh which holds the stuff-sacks off your back and prevents nasty back sweat. I think I can get it down another 4-8oz if I make a one off aluminum tube frame to fit my height only (which would eliminate all the sliding tubes and locking pins).

I have three packs that I use for the AT. All three are made by Kelty.

1) Kelty Redwing 2900
    2) Kelty Redwing 2400
    3) Kelty (unknown style and size). It is similar to the Redwing, but smaller (approx 1800), very simple and light.

I do ultralight backpacking, so these sizes are fine for me. The third Kelty is a real challenge to use (which I like) so I keep things very simple and rough it.

I love the Redwing design because it is like a backpack you used in school that the whole front zips open. This is much easier than a top loader for me (I have an old one). I bought the 2900 at REI for $100 and found that it was a little too large and everything would settle to the bottom. I found the 2400 at Sam's for $25!!! I found it to be an excellent size for me.

I rarely carry many extra clothes though. I rarely wear many clothes too. I learned how to do this in Russia. They do not use air conditioning where I went, so everyone just acclimated to the weather. They never complained and were always comfortable. I adopted this practice and I wear silkweight capilene in the winter with maybe a light jacket if it gets below 30* for too long.

-Squirrel

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I use a kelty red wing too..
    and i have an old synergy works for heavier winter stuff ..but you would have had to be around in the 70's to have one of these!!

Steve,

My mother was in college in the 70's...does that count?

I was born in nineteen hundred eighty-one. These kids today don't know how easy they have it. I had to hike uphill both ways, and I loved it.

-Squirrel

Default Re: Re: Whats the size of your backpack?

Originally posted by Peaks
    You should know the answer, as you did part of the trail last year and saw the variety of packs being used.

Yes, I did see the variety of packs being used, but just because I see them (some for only seconds) doesn't mean that I will instantly know the specs on them.

This is one question that many beginners ask, so I thought it would be nice if people who have done some hiking could give some perspective on what they use and why.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I hiked the Gregory Shasta in 2001. It served me well, in fact I still have it, but at 5050 cu in I was tempted to put too much stuff in it.
    I downsized to a Gregory Shasta at 4350 cu in and that's what I'm doing my thru with this year. It's the "right" size for me and my gear but I wish is was a tad lighter.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I also have a Kelty Redwing 2900 and I love it!! Ive beat the crap out of it(I am rough on packs!!)since I bought it in 96 for 70 bucks and its still going strong!! Its a bit faded and I wish I could find something to darken The green nylon and help protect it .I just wish they made one in a bit larger torso size ,its just a little to short for me. It still amazes me how much gear I can easily fit in this pack!!! Streamweaver

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

I used the Osprey Aether 60 on my hike, and my husband used the Mountainsmith Ghost. Both carried sub-30 pound loads very well, were comfortable and had little- to- no maintnenance. They both weigh under three pounds empty, and the Osprey was so comfortable I stated feeling uncomfortable without it...my turtle-shell
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

I use a Gregory Shasta 1998 and it's great
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

I carry a big Dana Design, over 5500 cu.
    I actually find it easier to pull things out of my pack if I have room to spare. I know exactly what it should look like for however many days I will be out (how fat or how wrinkly). On weekend trips it looks like an old Basset Hound on my back. I guess I could buy a smaller pack for shorter trips but, like jumpstart, mine feels like a turtle shell to me. I'm attached!

Hey Squirrel,
    What say you teach me some of that russian cold weather technique, hua? C'mon...be a pal!

Too big when I'm navigating blown down tree's, never big enough when I'm packing it.

I've used a Kelty "Flight" at around 3 lbs. It's rated at 4500 cu. in. with all the pockets on, but I took them all off (except the top which you need) so I guess it's a little under 4000 cu. in..

Big enough and light to boot.

Pb

(Haven't "thrued" but have gone on a number of 2 week treks. )

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-14-2003 at 17:20.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Mountainsmith Ghost 3100 cubic inches.

Good size for a reasonable amout of gear.

At 2900ci my new Gregory G-pack works beautifully! The pack only carries around 25lbs, so I've managed to get my base weight down to 15lbs. I'll let you guys know how this pack works out on test hikes in the Whites this summer.

Prior to this, my pack of choice was the Dana Bridger. At 3100ci it was a dream come true for comfort and fit. It's just a bit too heavy now for my needs.

Happy Hiking!!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Presto, with regard to the Ghost, where do you store your sleeping bag? There's no bottom compartment, the main cavity looks too small, and it doesn't look like there's really room to lash it to the top or bottom.

Also, have you used this pack outside of the warm summar months when you have to pack a wider range of clothing? If so, does the 3100 cubic inch size accommodate everything reasonably well?
    Last edited by Kerosene; 03-20-2003 at 14:29.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++