WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Titcomb Basin / Cirque du Towers?

Alright, this isn't exactly a CDT thread, but I know some of you are familiar with these areas of the winds.

Are these areas as crowded in mid-August as many websites seem to hint at. I'm blown away by the pictures, but do not relish crowds, although it might not be a deal killer.

Took the boys to Isle Royale, Mt. Adams Wilderness, and Capitol Reef NP in the last year for 4-5 day trips and looking for another backpacking adventure. Nothing technical, but some elevation gain/loss is fine/good.

Anybody have tips for the Winds, Bighorns or anywhere else for a 4-6 day trip? Not interesting in heavy grizzly country at this point. Makes Dad nervous with his precious progeny in tow.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Crowded is a relative term..

But yeah, the Cirque of the Towers and Titcomb Basin are high use areas for backpacking and climbing.

This book is great for finding off the beaten path areas. Has a maps you can print out and download, too, if you use a phone for maps as well. Though aimed at off-trail hiking, there are enough on-trail routes and gentle off-trail routes that you should find something you and your children can do (Not sure how old they are?) Notice one very positive review from Amazon is a person who is obviously into family backpacking as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Trails-.../dp/1936178214

Nancy is probably the modern guru of all things Wind River related (at least from a backpacking/hiking/camping perspective)

I am off to the Big Horns next month... otherwise I know nothing about them from personal experience. Ask me after labor day.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

I am off to the Big Horns next month... otherwise I know nothing about them from personal experience. Ask me after labor day.
    Thanks, Mags.

The boys are 10 and 14 and pretty good hikers. Neither one wants to admit to being tired because they compete with each other, so Dad has to watch them both. It's more my wife that might not be into something extra-strenuous or semi-dangerous, although she didn't kick too much about some moderate exposure crossing the reef into Muley Twist Canyon last spring in Utah!

And I got the idea about Cirque du Towers from reading your CDT reports. Thanks.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

That's awesome. Upper Mulley is a great hike and if your children can do that, I think you'll find a lot in Nancy's book. A gold mine of trip ideas..esp ones away from higher use areas.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

We practically owned upper Titcomb basin, but above treeline, in late July/early August a couple years ago. But once we started heading back out (towards the pinedale trailhead) we did see a lot of folks. But I tell ya, that area is so gorgeous it is worth the "crowds" and as Mags says, "crowded" is a relative term. What's nice about when you plan on going is that the mosquitos should be thinned out by then (we were just a tad early for that).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Garlic
    Images

I hiked through the Cirque of the Towers on my CDT hike, using an off-trail route from the NW over Texas Pass, so this CDT forum is certainly a good place for this topic. The beauty of the CDT is that there are few if any blazes for hundred of miles sometimes, so it's "OK" to go through places like the Cirque if you want to explore a bit. It seemed like quite a few campsites there, relatively speaking, mostly climbers it appeared. You don't have to camp in the Cirque if it is too crowded.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Now, that's what I'm talking about. GREAT variety in those hikes you took your sons. That kind of variety of hiking locations gets me excited. They are so fortunate. Now, you are doing the Winds. Wanna adopt an older son? So awesome.

Winds AND the surrounding areas of Bridger Teton Wilderness/Nat Forest, Shoshone Nat Forest, Popo Agie Wilderness, and Fitzpatrick Wilderness get my off trail adventurous juices flowing. So many options.

The Winds are not all that crowded. Obviously, venturing further from major THs the users thin out. You should be able to find equal solitude in the Winds as you did on IR NP, as long as you removed yourself away from the main ferry terminal day visitor hotspot of Rock Harbor, and, in general, Mt Adams Wilderness. Depending on where you venture in CR NP you can get way out there into some remote totally alone locations.

Grab either the Wind River Range Earthwalk Press or Beartooth mapsets.

I backpacked for 8 days in the Winds in August 2011 and was in both areas you mention. Here is a photo from the Cirque of the Towers:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=7623

And here is one from Titcomb Basin:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=7623

There were fewer people in Titcomb Basin than in the Cirque but I found neither to be unpleasantly crowded. They are both far enough away from the nearest trailhead that you won't see casual dayhikers. The Winds remains the single most scenic backpacking trip I have taken and the network of trails there lets you customize the way you want to hike it.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Was in the Winds for a few weeks in August of 2011.

As I recall the place was packed. I saw only a few cars in the parking lot but I passed by dozens of hikers on my way up the Big Sandy and into the Cirque of the Towers. I saw quite a few people who were fishing and not even on the trail. Also, I saw more bear scat than anyplace I've ever been before. Still, I had a great time. I get off trail a lot and was able to locate two indian archeological sites. They are all over the place up there. Saw lots of elk. And some of the lakes are stocked so they were packed with trout. Kinda funny story, I usually don't fear bears but the second night out I ate two trout and my fingers stank so bad that I thought I was a goner for sure.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

You could look into doing the Solitude Loop (IIRC) in the Bighorns. Grab a map of the Cloud Peak Wilderness. The trailhead at West Tensleep Lake is popular, which as has been said before, is a relative term. There are no grizzlys there (at least that's the current story), but supposedly wolves have been working their way over.

Pringles

Journal Entries

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I ordered the Nancy Pallister book that Mags suggested and it is fantastic. I'm drooling over some of those routes in the Winds, and am planning either a long solo trip or shorter family trip next year. I was pushing for the Winds, but I get the feeling at least two other members of the family are looking for something slightly more mellow this summer. At 6'8", sometimes I forget my legs are a lot longer than my beloved family members!

So, we are going to do 5-6 day hike with some side jaunts on the North Bighorn Loop in the Cloud Peak Wilderness and combine it with lots of car camping, day hiking, and a couple of National Parks on the way out from Wisconsin.

Again, you folks are great. Thanks for all the information and advice.

Have fun in the Cloud Peak Wilderness! It's beautiful.

++ New Posts ++