WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultralight sunglasses

So I had a eye appointment last week and they dialated my eyes with drops...sucks big time, can't read a bloody thing the rest of the day and the brightness of the sun is literally blinding to me. I forgot to bring my sun glasses and they gave me a piece of rolled up plastic that is tinted and cut in the shape of glasses, thing couldn't weigh more than a oz. if that. Look into it...pun intended.

I've had the same thought. Not great for the wind, but other than that . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I've had the same thought. Not great for the wind, but other than that . . .
    yup, mine didn't even have a string, it just kinda unrolled and clamped around/ove my temples...had to keep adjust nose bridge too. But some of the more fanatical weenie UL's may not mind dealing with that, me...I'm bringing my real sunglasses.

I've used those things before after trips to the retina doc. They worked for driving a few miles to my apartment and semi-darkness.
    My only thought: Yes, they are tinted. But do they provide any UV protection for long term use?
    In true Uber Gram Weenie tradition, when it came time for new glasses last year I sprang for titanium frames, ultra UV protection, auto darkening lenses with extra polarized/UV protection clip-on lenses. No clue how many grams I saved over my previous 2 pairs of glasses: regular & sunglasses. I'm not that much of a gram weenie.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My Julbo Nomads weigh 0.9oz. I would be interested to hear what Ti glasses weigh.

Yes, but can they be trimmed and how much of an extra wt penalty do I have to absorb if they are tinted?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    So I had a eye appointment last week and they dialated my eyes with drops...sucks big time, can't read a bloody thing the rest of the day and the brightness of the sun is literally blinding to me. I forgot to bring my sun glasses and they gave me a piece of rolled up plastic that is tinted and cut in the shape of glasses, thing couldn't weigh more than a oz. if that. Look into it...pun intended.
    I got some of these on the internet for a few bucks. They are designed to be used behind your regular glasses. They are OK for driving, but I would not recommend them for long term use. You can cut them. I think that they have some UV protection.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 07-17-2015 at 12:11.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    My Julbo Nomads weigh 0.9oz. I would be interested to hear what Ti glasses weigh.
    I did put them on the digital scale. 15 grams maybe? I suppose since I opened mouth, I'll have to weigh them again. As I recall the weighing exercise, my old glasses were something like 75 grams.
    I am a certified Sunglasses Junky. I will look at the Julbo Nomads. My all time most favorite pair of sunglasses were REI closeout glacier glasses with side shields for $5. I wore those things for years. Dropped them one day on a tile floor. They broke right at the temple hinge. Couldn't be fixed. I was very sad.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Nomads. Discontinued. Of course. Grrrrrrr.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Nomads. Discontinued. Of course. Grrrrrrr.

Wayne
    Sorry. Forgot about that. I lost my original pair on a winter 2014 hike. Found a pair on clearance somewhere shortly after that. Looks like they are all gone now. If you checkout the Sheltowee Trace in southern KY, you might find my old pair.

The lightest possible choice is to leave it behind. I considered these before because of a discussion elsewhere. However, I asked myself if I could live without them while hiking. The answer was yes. Mine weigh 0 grams.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    The lightest possible choice is to leave it behind. I considered these before because of a discussion elsewhere. However, I asked myself if I could live without them while hiking. The answer was yes. Mine weigh 0 grams.
    I think I remember that conversation, yes this was not an original thought on my part, just a revisiting as I finally got a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think I remember that conversation, yes this was not an original thought on my part, just a revisiting as I finally got a pair.
    Well then.... I expect an informed review after some testing. I may change my mind again... and again... and again.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Check out these shades
    http://www.sporteyz.com

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Curiosity got the best of me.
    Old glasses: 46 g x 2 because I also had prescription sunglasses.
    New glasses: 15 g. All in one solution.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I've used those things before after trips to the retina doc. They worked for driving a few miles to my apartment and semi-darkness.
    My only thought: Yes, they are tinted. But do they provide any UV protection for long term use?
    In true Uber Gram Weenie tradition, when it came time for new glasses last year I sprang for titanium frames, ultra UV protection, auto darkening lenses with extra polarized/UV protection clip-on lenses. No clue how many grams I saved over my previous 2 pairs of glasses: regular & sunglasses. I'm not that much of a gram weenie.

Wayne
    +1 On titanium frames for Rx glasses. Much stronger.
    I do carry rollup shades as BU.

Quote Originally Posted by jimyjam View Post
    Check out these shades
    http://www.sporteyz.com
    I brought some of those on my PCT hike and they saved me. I lost my regular sunglasses and would have gone snowblind without my emergency roll-up sunglasses. I was so glad I brought them. Unfortunately they tended to fit a little too well to my face and fogged up. They probably work a lot better over a pair of regular glasses, but I don't wear glasses.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Transitions lenses on a titanium frame. No seperate sunglasses needed (for us hard of sight folk)

Journal Entries

Well, they really really suck.
    But...they are good for a backup in certain conditions, like snow, where sunglasses are a must above treeline.

Journal Entries
    Images

A little industrial, but cheap and light, and shady enough for me. At .3oz, these are what I use for sailing and hikng: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

++ New Posts ++