WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Question for Veterans...

So, as much I as I would like thru hike the CT, due to cumbersome obligations I have simply run out of time this summer before I have to head back to work (I'm a teacher in Southern Colorado). However, I have a two week window at the beginning of August to section some of the CT.

I'm looking for suggestions on sections that are highly recommended, or really just thoughts in general for someone in my situation...Looking to put miles in, be alone, take photographs, and have fun. Thanks to all!

Considering your time and objectives, you could start in Brekenridge and hike back to Denver. When I hiked that section a few years ago, I went three days without seeing another person.
    Shutterbug

Images

I'd start two-weeks from the southern end (whatever your speed is, 200-250 miles or so), heading SWBO towards Durang. Easily most scenic part of the trail, and not particularly crowded though you will see folks on weekend days (but less than on the Breck to Denver section).

As an alternative, you could always do the 160 mile Collegiate West loop???? I'm planning on doing the CW trail itself (not including the east part) in a couple weeks.

I vote for the Collegiate Loop. I've done the Collegiate West (spectacular trail) but not the Collegiate East. I'd like to do the loop at some point.

two weeks in the san juans or the collegiate loop.

Thanks everyone, excellent suggestions, I'm giving everything some thought and doing some research. Will post later what I end up doing. Cheers!

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I'm with colorado_rob - I would do two weeks ending in Durango. I liked all the CT, but the San Juans were the highlight.

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'd start two-weeks from the southern end (whatever your speed is, 200-250 miles or so), heading SWBO towards Durang. Easily most scenic part of the trail, and not particularly crowded though you will see folks on weekend days (but less than on the Breck to Denver section).

As an alternative, you could always do the 160 mile Collegiate West loop???? I'm planning on doing the CW trail itself (not including the east part) in a couple weeks.
    +1
    I am biased to the San Juan's - maybe Spring Creek to Durango. Ron

++ New Posts ++