WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Amen to the amen.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Scott had the misfortune of committing an indiscretion, a peccadillo really, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't blame him for being the flashpoint - the fire has been smouldering for a long time. He didn't deserve to be at the centre of a storm of aired grievances. (He did deserve a couple of tickets, and leave it at that.)

The grievances, nevertheless, are real and justified.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    What?

The whole point of that post was about recycling trash that is not normally considered recyclable, and in so doing recognize the company with the technology that is making that happen.

In your case, I am sure the misunderstanding is just that -- and not a well-considered attempt to craft a story/image to further an agenda.
    The misunderstanding is yours. I've been in the environmental industry for 30+ years and the fact is that plastic films (wrappers and bags) are recyclable - and its been very common for years. Look at the entrance to your supermarket and the odds are that you'll find a collection bin for plastic bags. That is plastic film recycling. My town even allows plastic bags in its single stream curbside recycling. Curbside collection is rare since earlier generation automated recyclable separation lines are easily fouled by the lightweight plastic films, but the supermarket bin type collection is at least 10 years old. So, no - I'm not impressed that plastic wrappers got collected and recycled. I also have no agenda against SJ (had never heard of the guy), but photos and now the citations speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-20-2015 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Reading this thread leaves a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Nit picking, do-gooders are making me sick.
    All the hate.
    For what?
    Because he ran instead of hiked?

Or because he is a famous runner and not a famous hiker?
    Makes me sick!
    No, it was that his high profile violation of well known and long established rules may well affect the ability of future hikers (or trail runners) to summit K as a part of an AT hike (or trail run) . SJ got his, so **** the rest of the hikers (or trail runners) out there seems to be the take-away.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-20-2015 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    The misunderstanding is yours. I've been in the environmental industry for 30+ years and the fact is that plastic films (wrappers and bags) are recyclable - and its been very common for years. Look at the entrance to your supermarket and the odds are that you'll find a collection bin for plastic bags. That is plastic film recycling. My town even allows plastic bags in its single stream curbside recycling. Curbside collection is rare since earlier generation automated recyclable separation lines are easily fouled by the lightweight plastic films, but the supermarket bin type collection is at least 10 years old. So, no - I'm not impressed that plastic wrappers got collected and recycled. I also have no agenda, the photos and now the citations speak for themselves.
    Are you saying all plastics are recyclable?

Just asking because this is an issue I do have interest in (I don't care about this thread). I recently read an article that claims that recycling programs are suffering because they are making it too simple for the public, very good article on that here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...00c_story.html

This seems to counter your claim that all plastics are recyclable. http://ecoramblings.com/why-all-plas...t-be-recycled/

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Are you saying all plastics are recyclable?

Just asking because this is an issue I do have interest in (I don't care about this thread). I recently read an article that claims that recycling programs are suffering because they are making it too simple for the public, very good article on that here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...00c_story.html

This seems to counter your claim that all plastics are recyclable. http://ecoramblings.com/why-all-plas...t-be-recycled/
    I never said that *all* plastics are recyclable, so please don't misquote. My point is that plastic bags and films are recyclable, so SJ's collection of his Cliff Bar wrappers doesn't impress me.

The question of recyclability involves economics as well as technology. Recycled plastics generally haven't been used for food products, but get used for detergent bottles, park benches, trash containers, parking lot bumpers, and decking - so the market is somewhat limited compared to virgin plastics. Plastics coded 1 - 6 are generally recycled. Its the number 7 ("Other") that gets complicated due to this code incorporating a number of different plastics that can't be recycled together since the final product is a heterogeneous mix of plastics with different physical and chemical properties. This is why a lot of plastics that fall into group are not considered to be recyclable. For other plastics, the cost of recycling and limited market for the recycled product make recycling economically unfeasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I never said that *all* plastics are recyclable, so please don't misquote. My point is that plastic bags and films are recyclable, so SJ's collection of his Cliff Bar wrappers doesn't impress me.
    If you notice my opening question: "Are you saying all plastics are recyclable? "

I was simply asking for clarification. Maybe you need to get off the computer and go for a hike or something. Or maybe you need to test yourself...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1989668

But I'm out the door, see you guys later

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Reading this thread leaves a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Nit picking, do-gooders are making me sick.
    All the hate.
    For what?
    Because he ran instead of hiked?

Or because he is a famous runner and not a famous hiker?
    Makes me sick!
    I didn't know if he is famous or not....until I read the Facebook responses from his fans about what a god he is.

I still haven't read all of the hundreds of replies to Baxter's Facebook rant....but I have never seen such a large group of idiots.

At least a hundred posts that he did Baxter a big favor by putting THEM on the map and the free publicity they got out of it. There have no idea what the AT is or what Baxter is.

At least a hundred posts about how Scott should sue THEM for slander or for using his pics.

If this is a sampling of the trail running crowd or it's fan club....I don't want to see any of them on the AT. An attitude that I was neutral on until I read so many stupid replies.

I can only assume that most of them are armchair runners, just like the majority of those that followed him on the threads here on WB.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you notice my opening question: "Are you saying all plastics are recyclable? "

I was simply asking for clarification.

Here is a link to the program that Scott and Jenny were helping promote:

https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades/clifbar.html

Whether one is impressed or not with Terracycle's ability to recycle items that are not normally considered candidates for recycling -- like foil lined wrappers -- this company is doing interesting stuff, and deserves a closer look-- at a minimum.

Sometimes it's what we don't know that we don't know where ALL OF US fall short.

And had you read (and comprehended) my post, there would have been a need to ask, but now you know. Plastic recycling is a fine balance between technical and financial considerations. But to the original point, recycling an energy bar wrapper is not all that unusual, so really isn't anything to brag or get excited about.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-20-2015 at 13:57.

Here is a link to the program that Scott and Jenny were helping promote:

https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades/clifbar.html

Whether one is impressed or not with Terracycle's ability to recycle items that are not normally considered candidates for recycling -- like foil lined wrappers -- this company is doing interesting stuff, and deserves a closer look-- at a minimum.

Sometimes it's what we don't know that we don't know where ALL OF US fall short.
    Terracycle is a great firm (NJ plug here...) - one of their earlier products is a line of lawn and garden fertilizer made from earthworm feces from their composting operation. Its sold as a concentrate in a reused 20 oz. soda bottle with a spray top that attaches to a garden hose for application. Great stuff.

A lot of what Terracycle handles is already recyclable, but often not readily so. It really depends on your municipality's individual program. The value in these programs is that they are a means of getting more recyclables diverted out of the waste stream, but they have also pioneered new recycling technologies. It all helps.

Realistically, these programs also garner some feel-good publicity for the firms that partner with them. But don't forget that these partners are often the ones that are generating the wrappers or the drink boxes, etc. by the millions. The programs do help, but it would be better to switch to a packaging technology that wouldn't rely on out-of-the ordinary recycling programs.

I also wonder if these programs aren't preaching to the choir. I was out hiking yesterday and picked up a grocery bag full of trash, including bar wrappers and plastic bottles. Some may have been accidentally dropped, but I doubt the majority of people who drop trash along trails would behave any differently if the wrapper was recyclable. Bottles already are, and they're out there too.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-20-2015 at 13:59.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Where do you get the idea that the park will barely be visited ever again? They limit access to the park to keep it in as wild a condition as possible. People are turned away at the entrance. 70,000 people visit the park every year and only ~500 even care about the AT at all. BSP will be happier, the impact to the park will be considerably lessened and it will not affect the park negatively and will only be a net gain.
    That's the mentality. If I'm doing it, the universe is centered around me. If I'm not doing it, it isn't important; it ceases to exist.

Such a shame, that uber-special, narcissistic personality.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I was simply asking for clarification. Maybe you need to get off the computer and go for a hike or something. Or maybe you need to test yourself...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1989668

But I'm out the door, see you guys later
    Maybe you need to get off the computer and work on your reading comprehension. His first sentence stated " plastic films (wrappers and bags)".

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Maybe you need to get off the computer and go for a hike or something.
    I definitely do. But my knee still hurts from the fall I took two weeks ago, and my caregiver is still in "watchful waiting" mode about it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    The White Mountains is a National Forest which the AT is clearly entrenched. It's up to the AMC to mark the trail. The AT isn't about to leave the others you mentioned either being NP's
    Carry a map, and it's not an issue

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Carry a map, and it's not an issue
    I stand to be corrected, but I think that the blazing and cairns marking section of AT that is above treeline over the Presidentials is the responsibility of the paid professionals of the WMNF -- not the AMC.

To be sure many assume the AMC is responsible for all trails in the Whites given the hundreds of miles of Trails they take care of with both professional and volunteer crews. They may even help th WMNF government workers with their stretch from time to time.

Just not sure it is the AMC's role and responsibility in that specific section that gives some confusion.

Anyone know beyond a doubt?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dbright View Post
    I feel as a thru hiker the ATC should just change the end point of the AT to somewhere else. Why would this one mountain be any more important to the ATC than finishing the thru hike at a different location.
    That's easy for you to say as someone who got to end (or start) their hike at Katahdin. Don't you think others would like being able to do the same?

Would you feel the same way if right before you did YOUR thru the end was moved from K, or the start moved from Springer?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

If some hikers continue to misbehave K will be taken from the AT. I do believe that if Baxter officials want to be so precise about the rules they should enforce those rules. Nobody else really has the authority to do so.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    That's easy for you to say as someone who got to end (or start) their hike at Katahdin. Don't you think others would like being able to do the same?

Would you feel the same way if right before you did YOUR thru the end was moved from K, or the start moved from Springer?
    The ATC does not have any authority to move the trail from Katahdin. For that mater, neither does the National Park Service.

The AT was created by an Act of Congress with Katahdin as its terminus.

That said, should Baxter State Park decide to put up a virtual gate, AT hikers are screwed.

Baxter State Park is crafting a narrative to close the AT if numbers increase, sustain any legal challenge given their shaky position regarding the "guest status" of the AT, keep the ATC and NPS on the defensive, and win in the court of public opinion in the only place it matters -- Maine.

I respect their zeal and focus.

The ATC does not have any authority to move the trail from Katahdin. For that mater, neither does the National Park Service.

The AT was created by an Act of Congress with Katahdin as its terminus.

That said, should Baxter State Park decide to put up a virtual gate, AT hikers are screwed.

Baxter State Park is crafting a narrative to close the AT if numbers increase, sustain any legal challenge given their shaky position regarding the "guest status" of the AT, keep the ATC and NPS on the defensive, and win in the court of public opinion in the only place it matters -- Maine.

I respect their zeal and focus.
    you keep spouting that nonsense and it's dead wrong. The AT crosses into BSP at the discretion of the park Authority. If they feel it's a detriment to their purpose of preservation, the trail will end at park boundary.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
++ New Posts ++