WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MYOG HyperD 300 Arc Blast Backpack

Wanted to share an Arc Blast like backpack I made a couple months ago. The pack is made from hyperD 300 material purchased from ripstop by the roll. Attachment 31363Attachment 31358Attachment 31359Attachment 31362Attachment 31361

Sorry hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

beautiful! You must be very proud. What was your final weight?

C'mon don't take us to the altar and then run out on us like that. Lay some specs and how tos on us volume breakdown, wt, construction plans, tips on construction/design, how it compares/contrasts with the Zpacks Arc Blast, how much you've tested it, comfortable load carrying capacity, etc.

Really nice work on that pack!
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

Wow, really nice work. I'd like the specs too.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

That is impressive, great work.

Images

Compliments.....looks like store bought. You do excellent work(meticulous) what brand sewing machine?

Smile

Sure, some of the specs are: 21oz total weight, but the weight might be off by an ounce or two either way. I don't currently own a digital scale. Using a bathroom scale that goes by tenths of a pound gives me 1.5 pounds (I do consider it UL and does not seem to weigh much more than my Arc Blast comparison.) My math on the pack gives me a main body volume of 45.4 Liters or 2772 cubic inches. I am having a harder time trying to measure the added liters of the 2 mesh side pockets and large mesh back pocket. Those should (guessing here) bring it to 52 Liters or more. I used the pack plans from Rip stop by the roll (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-_...=sharing&pli=1). I made some small modifications to them. I use a single strap for the top strap instead of two. No need for ladder locks on the waist band just used a dual adjustable 1 1/2 inch buckle. There are no instructions for the frame attachments, but looking at my arc blast and re-creating them was not hard at all. My materials came from www.ripstopbytheroll.com HypderD 300 @ 3.9 oz per sq yard. www.rockywoods.com (tera gutterman 80 thread) plastic accessories came from www.diygearsupply.com (who I won’t order from again). www.seattlefabrics.com ,for the dive mesh for the front panel. www.dragonplate.com for the .125 x .325 carbon fiber strips for the frame. polyethylene closed cell foam was used for the waist belt, shoulder straps and lumbar support.

Construction tips: I basically followed most the measurements and cuts from the pack plans provided. I sewed it on a Janome HD3000 sewing machine using size 14 schmetz universal needles and 14-16 schmetz jean needles for the webbing on the straps. Order of construction went accessorie items first: Hip belt shoulder and straps which I sewed to the back panel -> sew the back panel to the bottom panel, than I completed each side panel and sewed them on and with front panel being sewed on last to complete the pack.

Performance: I took it on 2 hikes so far. Once along the AT in Connecticut, from the undermount trail into Mass to the Lake Buel parking trail head. The second trip I took it on a pemi loop (31.5 miles) in the White Mountains. It performed well without any issues and I had no complaints, so much so I won’t be using my arc blast anymore. The max weight I had in it was 23 pounds on the pemi loop. I took 3 liters of water and about 7lbs of food. I had not tested it out beyond those numbers, but I imagine 30-35lbs would start to be around the limit. I will be using it more to test durability.

Side notes: I am fairly new to sewing and this was only my 2nd realy sewing project. I started sewing in early april after seeing the pack plans on ripstop. I sewed another pack which I also shared on the forums. I used a brothers project runway sewing machine on that pack and had a lot of issues. I ordered a janome HD3000 while looking for a "good" sewing machine under $500. I was able to sew a good prototype that gave me faith I could sew a second one to look and feel like a store bought backpack. I also am checking craigslist everyday or a cheap walking foot industrial sewing machine . I recently have sewn rain pants made from silnylon (they don't breath and make my legs sweat) and will start working on a Solong 6 like tent soon. The pride I feel in wearing my own pack makes me want to make all my own gear. I will also be happy to elaborte or answer any additional questions I might of skipped or been vauge on.

so the dive mesh, pocket material? what did you use for the trampoline panel?

The trampoline panel that sits against your back is the dive mesh, the mesh on the side pockets and large back pocket is regular "pocket mesh" that I orderd from DIY gear supply. http://diygearsupply.com/product/pocket-mesh/. When I order more I plan to order the pocket mesh from zpacks (http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml) or another supplier. The reason for the dive mesh, is that pannel has a lot of tension on it. Over time the tension will stretch regular pocket mesh unlike the dive mesh.

How does this compare to an actual Arc Blast and what made you decide to make it?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

This winter i will try and make a pack like this, maybe some different material tho.
    HYOH and LNT

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Very professional job!!
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Really nice job. Approximately how many hours does a pack like this take?

It took me around 15 hours to make that one. When I make a couple more (going to try 210 dyneema), i'm going to use Pellon Tru-Grid to make all my patterns first. Cutting and making sure everything measures up honestly took me the longest. I pretty much used a ruler and a cutting mat 18x24 inch cutting mat to make each pannel. I would use a wash away marker to draw my pattern on the material and than cut it. In the future I can cut out squares and rectangles much faster using the Pellon and trace or pin my pattern to the material.

Side note: I ordered a pound 800 fill down, 8 yards of 1.1oz calendared rip stop nylon and zipper material. The last of my items should be here Tuesday. Plan is to make a down sleeping bag with a hood. I will post pictures when I am finished. In my head its going to look like a FF Swallow 20 UL bag. After I finish that I will attempt a tent, than back to another sleeping bag.

I like to cut my pattern pieces out of medium flat rate boxes. They're free from the post office, easily cut with scissors, and thick enough to make for easy tracing onto your fabric.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Thanks for the good idea maui. I still may order some pellon for the purpose of the grid to create a pattern, then transfer it onto the cardboard. I made a rain jacket and rain pants recently. I want to use the hood pattern on the thru hiker website for my rain jacket. I started to make a 1 inch grid using news paper, but its tedious. The grid paper should make it easier to replicate the pattern.

Excellent job. May have to try this one myself.

++ New Posts ++