WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I also have trouble sleeping at times in the backcountry. An uncomfortable campsite, forest noises, anxiety about your remoteness or any number of things that are different from home can keep you up.

I take an Ibuprofen PM (1), and read.

+1 on the hammock idea, but a warning that they can be extremely addictive. After long term use you may find yourself sleeping in one off the trail as well.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Passion Flower Leaf Tea. Tastes OK too.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Here's why that won't work for me:

1. Smoke the joint.
    2. Giggle uncontrollably for about an hour or two.
    3. Sleep well past my intended wake-up time.
    4. Eat remaining rations regardless of what it means in terms of the next food drop.
    Haaaaa...true!! I'd have hard time making any miles!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The VIt-I PM is one help. the OTC pain meds now all have a "PM" version. Melatonin is a good choice. My ear plugs of choice are the Silicone type, that can be molded. I made a little holder for them out of two soda-bottle tops, perfect for them. They go in one of my stuff sacks, like if I take my hammock pillow, then in the pillow has the night meds, ear plugs and a cheap sleep mask (over the eyes...for when the full moon is right above my hammock....). If I leave the pillow at home, then the same stuff just goes into the stuff sack with my Top Quilt (or just in with all my first aid...).
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Hard work is the best sleeping pill. 20 miles per day is hard work for me.

My wife and I take herbs and vitamins daily. Passion flower and Valerian root capsules work well for us. It will relax your mind and body and decrease any anxiety you may be experiencing. It's not a guarantee but it helps us. Earplugs sound like a good addition. Personally we stay away from prescription medication.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I always struggle the first 5-7 nights on the A.T. However, after 5 days of 10-18 mile days, I totally pass out! Unfortunately, that only gives me 4-5 days of good sleeping!

Like others have said, I have a hard time falling asleep the first two or three nights. I also have a very depressed appetite for about the same time. Then on the 3rd or 4th night, I sleep like a rock -- even better than I ever do at home. I wake up feeling well rested, and usually that's about the same time I feel my appetite kicking in a little more.

So for me, I just try to gut through those first few days, being sure not to try for big miles, and staying super cautious about anything that could be an accident -- because there is nothing like a good sleep-and-calorie deficit to end a hike early.

Sent from...wait, where am I?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++