WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to replace black diamond pole tips?

I bough a set of terra CF Black Diamond trekking poles from craigslist. I love em, but I want to replace the carbine tip with rubber. I bought a set of replacement tips but can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the old tips. Mine look like this:
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Googling help with this isn't an easy task. Any suggestions? TIA!

Not sure, however on my Leki poles, the rubber tips fit over the regular tips. just push on and after a few hits on the ground, they are then pretty stuck on.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

As noted above, the rubber tips should just slip over the regular ones. However, it you want to replace the whole end this is how:

The tips which are on there now are simply pressed on the end of the pole, but can be stuck on pretty good. You can cup the pole with a pair of pliers just above the plastic, then wack the top of the pliers with a hammer. (You need a third hand to do this, so get some help). After a couple of blows of the hammer the end should come flying off. You can then push the new tips onto the end of the pole.

If the tips are really stuck, you can use an utility knife to cut a slot in the plastic near the top to loosen it up some, then gripping and twisting with the pliers can pull it off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If they don't use the Tech Tips, then you just need to use a set of rubber tip covers and slip them over the carbide tips. If they are Tech Tips (very narrow and more common with the foldable ultralight model poles), the entire tip has to be changed out to switch from carbide to rubber. The tip will unscrew, but it takes a bit of effort. The real answer is to just give BD a call (800) 775-5552 and ask them the for the appropriate part number and instructions, although parts from BD should have instructions with them.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-27-2015 at 10:33.

Thanks for the replies. The tips I got came with instructions to simply untwist the existing tips. Maybe my poles aren't compatible with these instructions, as I've worn grooves in the tips and the piece they're attached to trying to get them off. I'll call BD. Thanks for the info.

Try putting the existing tips in boiling water then screw them off.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I watched the outfitter in DWG take a large adjustable wrench, open to just larger than the shaft diameter, then slide the wrench down the shaft striking the top of the tip. It popped right off. The tips are on a tapered end on the pole which makes them very hard to get off.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I have three types of BD poles, one has a different socket between the tip and the pole.
    Would pay to check on the specific type.

they are a PAIN to remove, it's a compression fit.... I had to work the old tips off with a set of pliers

Images

Boiling water, they slip off once they expand a bit, EASY

Jam the new ones on there, good to go

Thanks, again. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Busy moving this week.

Is that a pic of your tip? It looks brand new! My advice is if they break off don't hike on them because they wear down and the actual lower section will need replacing. If you don't the new tips will have nothing inside them. This happened to me.

I have replaced Flex Tech tips on BD poles. BD instructions are to soak the Flex Tip in boiling water for two minutes and then carefully pull off the tip with pliers. I think the boiling is to melt the fixing glue. I did have to resort to scoring the old tip with a craft knife to get them off.

Boiling water doesn't seem to be a high enough temperature to get the tips off. Try putting the bottom section of the pole in the oven at 300 F or so.

I use BD poles and have both carbide and rubber tech tips. They interchange easily with the help of pliers. One reason I carry a Leatherman Squirt with me.

I would just get some aftermarket rubber tips, secure them on the poles and if they come off easily, drill a small hole through them and the pole and secure them with light wire (safety wire would work). Then you can take them off when you get on ice or other very slippery surfaces that won't hold a rubber tip.

Black Diamond also sells these: http://amzn.com/B0032IPKRU

I don't know which poles that you have or that the above are compatible with. Perhaps the Tech Tips aren't compatible with your poles either... I guess BD changed their standard at some point.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 11-06-2015 at 17:40.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You can also order from BD just the lower section of the pole with the tip installed. I believe they were about $18 a pair.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The boiling water tip always worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You can also order from BD just the lower section of the pole with the tip installed. I believe they were about $18 a pair.
    That's what I had to do this year on the PCT.

++ New Posts ++