WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Beech Gap southbound to US 64

Maybe a little early but planning this trek south bound in 2nd week in October. Beech Gap on Cherohala Skyway southbound to Thunder Rock Recreation Area on US 64. Any relevant info appreciated.

Ok no response on this earlier when posted. Maybe no new info? I understand from BMT sight there is a short reroute due to logging near Kimsey hwy? What effect might the heavy rains from this week have on this section (skyway to hwy 64) of trail next week? Just interested and thanks in advance for the info.

Images

The latest stuff I know about that section is the logging issue. I've not seen the temporary reroute, but as I understand it you will be hiking south and come to a road and gate at about 100.7 mile point. At that point you will go out onto Kimsey Mountain Road and follow it to what would be the crossing at 99.0 and rejoin the trail there. The main issue this causes is you will not cross Piney Flats Branch which if you were counting on it for water could be an issue. If you need the water source you can follow the BMT about 0.3 down to it but would have to back to that gated road to get back on the reroute. The water source listed at 99.0 is also gone due to the logging.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Right now (October 3-4) all the creeks will be up due to Hurricane Joaquin and there are several you will need to cross when going south from Beech Gap to Thunder Rock/64.

** First will be little Brookshire crossing which most of the time is easy.
    ** Next problem crossings won't happen until you reach the Hiwassee River and the John Muir trail section which crosses two main side creeks, Towee and Loss Creeks.
    ** Then there's Ellis Creek by Hiwassee Outfitters south of the road walk across the Hiwassee River bridge.

You can see some of my pics on a trip here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...Frog/i-cnrcsF6

I'm starting my BMT South journey at the Fish Hatchery which is about 12 miles south of Beech Gap---and heading south to Hiwassee etc.

I know it's solid info from both of you. Thanks to each of you.

I'm leaving tomorrow to hike from 68 south to 515. Expecting lots of mud and water. Taking trekking poles for the first time. If I have phone service I'll post an update in a couple of days.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
    Not Sure why my pics post sideways.

I'm jealous! Have fun.

I think I know this spot---As you enter the Big Frog wilderness on the West Fork of Rough Creek. Here's my pic of the same sign---

The trail is in good shape from 68 to Watson Gap. It has the usual blowdowns and slightly overgrown here and there, but nothing major. Stop and talk to the campground host at Thunder Rock of you pass by, great folks and a convenient place to stash a resupply. Still a couple of weeks away from the great views atop Big Frog, but had a great night camping there just the same. Double Spring Gap could be called "Single Spring Gap" as the one on the eastern ways not flowing. Cohutta was Cohutta, even though there is a night and day difference between the east and west side. Most of the wildlife we seen was in Big Frog and Cohutta; deer, bear, and snakes. No hunters and only one other hiker who was headed north. Thanks to all the trail maintainers and Travis at North Ga. Mountain Outfitters for letting us park a car at the store.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

We put in about 5 pm on Monday 10/12. Great weather the whole week with one exception. That night we walked the 4 or so miles from the Unicoi Crest overlook/Beech Gap to Whigg Meadow. We thought it was going to be one of those dry windy nights on a mountain top overlooking Tellico Plains ( I think). During the night it was a huge rain storm, windy and lots of lightning ( fortunately no lightning right on top of us). Woke up to thick fog about 6 am and in the fog and dark "Yolks" left his tent poles. We made it past the fish hatchery around noon as we traveled SOBO. At southbound mile 136 walking uphill we ran into "finding warren.com" on his recent trek. Interesting guy and an inspiration for adventuring. We spent the 2nd night on Rocky Top about mile 143, which was good because it was getting dark and as we found out the next morning no decent spots for a campsite for a long way past there. This next area was in bad need of trail maintenance with weeds and briars chest high for a Half mile to a mile. Ran into a bear hunter with his kids and his dogs at the switchback past hazelnut knob where the x is on the tree. Thankfully I stopped to talk as he pointed this spot out after I walked right past the x about 50 feet without seeing it. 3rd night was spent about mile 160.5 (again SOBO). Weather was great after first nights rain and trek was going great as we crossed Coker Creek on our way to "the Narrows" along side the Hiawasee River. Steep narrow cliff trail with great views. This is one of the most scenic stretches along the entire BMT. The river was up apparently from the rains previously mentioned. Spent the 4th night in a campsite along the banks of the Hiawasee in a beautiful spot about a mile past the Big Bend picnic area. Left about 7:30 AM for our walk into Reliance. Planned as mentioned above to continue to Thundering Rock but ended here due to a day shorter trip than we originally planned. Trail was in great shape other than the area previously mentioned and a few blow downs, but none made it tremendously difficult. We finished about 9:30 AM Friday and got showers at Hiawasse outfitters, made a brief stop at Webb Brothers historic store for a snack and then hit the Golden Corral in Chattanooga for lunch on the way back to South Mississippi. Thanks to all who threw out some info here and to the trail maintainers. Oh by the way, had to cross several creeks but only had to fjord only one where my feet had to get wet. That was at the Towee Creek.
    Great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater slim View Post
    We put in about 5 pm on Monday 10/12. Great weather the whole week with one exception. That night we walked the 4 or so miles from the Unicoi Crest overlook/Beech Gap to Whigg Meadow. We thought it was going to be one of those dry windy nights on a mountain top overlooking Tellico Plains ( I think). During the night it was a huge rain storm, windy and lots of lightning ( fortunately no lightning right on top of us). Woke up to thick fog about 6 am and in the fog and dark "Yolks" left his tent poles. We made it past the fish hatchery around noon as we traveled SOBO. At southbound mile 136 walking uphill we ran into "finding warren.com" on his recent trek. Interesting guy and an inspiration for adventuring. We spent the 2nd night on Rocky Top about mile 143, which was good because it was getting dark and as we found out the next morning no decent spots for a campsite for a long way past there. This next area was in bad need of trail maintenance with weeds and briars chest high for a Half mile to a mile. Ran into a bear hunter with his kids and his dogs at the switchback past hazelnut knob where the x is on the tree. Thankfully I stopped to talk as he pointed this spot out after I walked right past the x about 50 feet without seeing it. 3rd night was spent about mile 160.5 (again SOBO). Weather was great after first nights rain and trek was going great as we crossed Coker Creek on our way to "the Narrows" along side the Hiawasee River. Steep narrow cliff trail with great views. This is one of the most scenic stretches along the entire BMT. The river was up apparently from the rains previously mentioned. Spent the 4th night in a campsite along the banks of the Hiawasee in a beautiful spot about a mile past the Big Bend picnic area. Left about 7:30 AM for our walk into Reliance. Planned as mentioned above to continue to Thundering Rock but ended here due to a day shorter trip than we originally planned. Trail was in great shape other than the area previously mentioned and a few blow downs, but none made it tremendously difficult. We finished about 9:30 AM Friday and got showers at Hiawasse outfitters, made a brief stop at Webb Brothers historic store for a snack and then hit the Golden Corral in Chattanooga for lunch on the way back to South Mississippi. Thanks to all who threw out some info here and to the trail maintainers. Oh by the way, had to cross several creeks but only had to fjord only one where my feet had to get wet. That was at the Towee Creek.
    Great trip!
    I recently did Unicoi to Mud Gap NOBO. The area just before Rocky Top going NOBO was awful. It was difficult to get through that section with the trail being difficult to pick up and really needing to stop often to look for blazes because I was never sure I was on the trail. I remember one location I got off trail and had to backtrack 50-75 feet.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I recently did Unicoi to Mud Gap NOBO. The area just before Rocky Top going NOBO was awful. It was difficult to get through that section with the trail being difficult to pick up and really needing to stop often to look for blazes because I was never sure I was on the trail. I remember one location I got off trail and had to backtrack 50-75 feet.
    Consider that good practice for when the trail is difficult to follow and blazing isn't allowed.

After hiking Beech Gap to Yellowhammer Gap, I would seriously consider the old BMT and hike Beech Gap>Farr Gap>Tapoco Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Consider that good practice for when the trail is difficult to follow and blazing isn't allowed.

After hiking Beech Gap to Yellowhammer Gap, I would seriously consider the old BMT and hike Beech Gap>Farr Gap>Tapoco Lodge.
    The next section will be that for me. Mud to Fontana. Likely early November. Originally I had planned to do the old route, but I was recently convinced to do the official re-route.

So I guess the new re-route is a little rough as well?
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Images

The next section will be that for me. Mud to Fontana. Likely early November. Originally I had planned to do the old route, but I was recently convinced to do the official re-route.

So I guess the new re-route is a little rough as well?

i had no problems following the BMT (either new or old) through joyce kilmer/slickrock area.........

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i had no problems following the BMT (either new or old) through joyce kilmer/slickrock area.........

Here is the latest on trail conditions in that area. Reposted from SGT Rock's site (I hope that's ok).

"Traffic Jam, here is the latest news. We removed and cleared a major downfall on the Tapoco Trail last week, so, going SOBO from Tapoco Lodge, that trail is clear up to Yellowhammer Gap. Ike Branch Trail, between the Yellowhammer Gap Trail Junction and Slickrock Creek, is basically impassable. What normally takes me 45 minutes took (in heavy rain) 4 hours due to downfalls. SAWS is going in there Nov. 7-8 to clear that. Yellowhammer Gap Trail is clear, but with some stepovers, all the way down to Nichols Cove. Nichols Cove Trail between Yellowhammer Gap Trail and Slickrock Creek is heavily overgrown and real wet, stay off that. On the ridge, from Yellowhammer Gap (not the trail, the Gap), I think it is best, although not the easiest, to follow Hangover Lead Trail SOBO to Big Fat Gap. There, just cross the parking area and continue on Hangover Lead Trail up to the junction near Haoe. There is a short cut (which I thought was the trail, so initially we posted the signs in the wrong spot-they are correct now) that goes up past a water source and up to the camping spot on the cleared area between Haoe and Hangover (Saddle Tree Gap). From there, just follow the ridge SOBO south and west. Haoe Lead Trail, between the Jenkins Meadow Trail Junction and the Deep Creek Trail Junction, is heavily overgrown and very tough to follow. When we came down it (wearing tee shirt and shorts) I was so torn up that the waitress at the Mexican Restaurant in Robbinsville wanted to call an ambulance for me. Getting that cleared will be a big project for this Spring. Otherwise, all those trails in the Wilderness are passable and signed, expect Bob Bald and the Cherry Log Gap Trail Junction, and signs are being ordered for that.
    As I reviewed this, I noticed that I do need to mention that Yellowhammer Gap Trail does not actually reach Yellowhammer Gap. The new signs should help. "

++ New Posts ++