WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planning

Default Planning

Hi everyone! I am planning my first official thru hike! I've been wanting to thru hike the A.T., but it's unrealistic because I have 3 young children. My hubby have me his blessing to take time to thru hike the CT. I was already approved a 6 week leave of absence for work, but I'm hoping to finish in 4-5 weeks. I've done a lot of long section hikes on the A.T. I chose the CT because I have family and friends in the Denver area that can support me and meet me to hike portions with me.

I would love to connect with others that have completed a thru hike of the CT. How long did it take you? When did you start? Is the trail marked well? How crowded or uncrowded is the trail?

Thanks in advance! I plan to do this in 2017

Journal Entries

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, HikerMom! You startled me just a little. Used to be another very active WB member called HikerMom, but she's been off the site for a year or two. At first, I thought you might be her.

You are blessed to have a husband who supports your CT ambitions. I wish you well!

As I look back on my hiking over the past couple of years, I increasingly feel like the Colorado Trail was the best overall experience. It is a great trail and lightly used compared to many others! I feel like it is very underrated. It is a great choice for a 4-5 week thru hike with some great trail towns (I stopped at Breckenridge, Leadville, Twin Lakes (very briefly), Salida, Lake City, and Silverton. Frequent resupply keeps the pack weight reasonable. The Collegiate West is a spectacular alternate which I highly recommend. I started the CT one year ago yesterday and I kind of wish I was repeating the trip right now!

I would start here: http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

And then consider buying Yogi's Guide (which looks like it has been recently updated): http://www.yogisbooks.com/colorado-trail/

How long did it take you?
    30 days including two full zero days and two nero days.

When did you start?
    July 28, 2014

Is the trail marked well?

Yes, I felt that the trail was marked quite well overall. However, it is not like the AT with white blazes everywhere. There are no blazes but there are Colorado Trail "confidence markers" which are plastic CT signs nailed to trees or posts every so often and almost always at trail junctions. There were only a couple of times where I felt that there was any ambiguity over where I should go. In those cases, my maps were useful. I also had an android app "Colorado Trail Hiker" that could pinpoint my location relative to the trail using GPS. Nice to have.

How crowded or uncrowded is the trail?
    I would say that almost all of the trail is uncrowded. The exceptions include Waterton Canyon which is heavily used by Denver locals, the area near Breckenridge and Copper Mountain, parts of the trail near Mt. Massive and Mt. Elbert (short side trips - I went up Massive and recommend it), the area around Twin Lakes IF there is a race as there was when I passed through, the area just past Monarch Crest which is popular with mountain bikes, and when you get pretty close to Durango itself (locals on day hikes). In comparison to a trail like the JMT, the CT is very uncrowded. On the Collegiate West, I went close to a full day on one occasion without seeing another hiker.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

My experience was a lot like Coffee's, only the previous year.

32 days including 3 full zeros in Leadville, Salida, and Lake City - three trail towns that I loved.

When did you start?
    June 23, 2013

Very well marked. I only got a little confused outside of Breckenridge before the trail went over Ten Mile Ridge - there were lots of intersecting trails. Some people hike without maps, but I enjoy orienting myself in the landscape so much I find them essential.

I had heard how popular Colorado is for backpacking and expected crowds. I experienced tons of solitude on my hike. I hiked through the Collegiates on the 4th of July holiday weekend and saw one fisherman, one mountain biker, and two hikers. That's it. There was a bike race going on as I neared Durango so I saw a fair number of racers. The trailhead at Waterton was closed before and after I began due to fires, so maybe I was hiking in a bit of a window, but I am still surprised by how few people I saw.

The trail and the surrounding towns are fantastic. The only thing I worried about were the fairly frequent thunderstorms - but I am pretty leery of lightning. I actually had closer encounters with it when I thru-hiked the AT back in '91, but being above treeline is a whole different story. My advice is to get up at dawn and get miles in before early afternoon in case the weather turns.

I loved it so much I am hoping to do it with my boys sometime in the next couple of years.

Thank you guys! Is water fairly easy to come by on the trail?

Don't leave home without it!

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

As well as... http://www.coloradotrail.org/hike.html

You might enjoy... Shades of Gray, Splashes of Color http://www.cookerhiker.com/
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

It took us 35 days with 2 zeros. We started July 31st. We never had a single day that we didn't see at least 2 people, but ususally that was ab out all.

Get Eric the Blacks's guide. It's the best. Do the Collegiate west section- tough, but well worth it. There is one section in the begining and one near the end that water can be scarce

I'll second the recommendation for Cookerhiker's book.

I leave Monday for the CT, I have the Colorado Trail Databook and Eric the Black's Atlas but have not yet decided which to carry, the Databook is easier to read and has all the info needed but the Atlas has some of the trail town maps...and my hand written notes with phone numbers and addresses...I'll probably decide which one to take when I get of the plane in Denver.

Thanks everyone!! DryBones are you keeping a trail journal, or do you have a FB page? I would love to follow your progress

Here are some pictures from my hike last year if you're interested. Anyone should be able to view through these links:

Waterton Canyon to Monarch Pass
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=799253a52b

Monarch Pass to Durango
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=67fea9efd8

Thank you for sharing Coffee!

What packs do you all carry? I have a Kelty coyote women's 75 pack. It's great for section hikes, but I bought it used, off of eBay. I think I want to go and actually get fitted for a lighter pack.

I used a ULA Circuit and it was great. My base weight on the trip was 15 pounds and total weight at the start of a segment never got beyond the high 20s. I could have probably done well with the slightly lighter ULA Ohm 2.0 given the weight I was carrying.

My 52 Liter ZPacks Arc Blast weighs in at 16 ounces. Base weight is just under 12 pounds without food, water, or fuel. The pack size is perfect for what I carry. I do not scrimp on comfort - that weight includes a two person tent, 20 degree bag and 15.6 ounce pad.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom78 View Post
    Is water fairly easy to come by on the trail?
    Probably not as easy as the AT, but not bad. This was a wet year supposedly so lots of water when we were on the trail. There is a 21mi section from Taylor Lake to Straight Creek that has no reliable water source if I remember correctly.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    30 days including two full zero days and two nero days.

When did you start?
    July 28, 2014

Yes, I felt that the trail was marked quite well overall. However, it is not like the AT with white blazes everywhere. There are no blazes but there are Colorado Trail "confidence markers" which are plastic CT signs nailed to trees or posts every so often and almost always at trail junctions. There were only a couple of times where I felt that there was any ambiguity over where I should go. In those cases, my maps were useful. I also had an android app "Colorado Trail Hiker" that could pinpoint my location relative to the trail using GPS. Nice to have.

I would say that almost all of the trail is uncrowded. The exceptions include Waterton Canyon which is heavily used by Denver locals, the area near Breckenridge and Copper Mountain, parts of the trail near Mt. Massive and Mt. Elbert (short side trips - I went up Massive and recommend it), the area around Twin Lakes IF there is a race as there was when I passed through, the area just past Monarch Crest which is popular with mountain bikes, and when you get pretty close to Durango itself (locals on day hikes). In comparison to a trail like the JMT, the CT is very uncrowded. On the Collegiate West, I went close to a full day on one occasion without seeing another hiker.
    Thanks for the info on "The Colorado Trail Hiker" app, got it today, leave tomorrow, have not spent a lot of time with it yet but it looks like great info, it may eliminate a lot of miles for me....I've come to accept getting lost as part of the journey, hey, why see just the trail when there is so much more.

The CT is well defined, clearly marked, and easy to follow compared to many trails. If you get off, the app will guide you back.

I've been reading some trail journals from this year. Is the last week of June too early to start? Is there usually still too much snow, or is it clearing by then?

I know this trail is dog friendly. I will be hiking with my Jed. From what I understand dog's are not allowed in the first few segments right? How many miles will I miss?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++