WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Ray-Way Backpack Kit

Anyone have any experience or opinions on The Ray-Way Backpack Kit?

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Ba...-Kit/index.htm

At only 9.5 ounces, $70 seems like a heck of a deal. It's DIY, but my wife and her mother sew like machines (with machines) so the construction part is the least of my concerns.

Images

I've made 2, and love them when I carry under 20 lbs. Over that, they will hurt you.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

What type of material is the pack made from? Unless I am missing something I can't find the materials.

I made one of his quilts and the materials are top notch. But like was mentioned, his stuff is designed for lightweight gear.

I can't comment on the Ray Way bag, but I made one of the G4 kits from QuestOutfitters earlier this year. $50 for the complete kit and ended up weighing in at 13oz.

Rocket,

How easy was it to sew one of his quilt kits? Been eyeballing this for sometime.
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    How easy was it to sew one of his quilt kits? Been eyeballing this for sometime.
    Floyd
    It's not difficult, he has very detailed instructions, but it does take quite a bit of time. The materials are silnylon shell, and a heavier material back/bottom, I want to guess about 200 denier. Of course there's also straps, and cords, and buckles, etc. Everything except the thread comes with the kit. As mentioned, if you keep it under low 20's it's manageable.

Rocket,

Floyd
    I made one of his quilts too. It was quite easy.

Hardest part for me was in the customization. It's been a while, but I seem to remember something in the instructions saying to lie on your side on the floor, and measure from the floor in front of you up over your shoulder and then to the floor behind you. With someone to help with the measuring, that would be a piece of cake. By myself, it was a bit of a challenge or at least interesting to say the least.

-FA

P.S. Oh and just a suggestion from my hindsight - if you add the shoulder baffle, make sure you have a generous seam allowance and/or pink the edges and/or hem the edges before you put them together. I didn't, and I've ended up having to hand sew those seams when they've pulled apart in the wash.

Rocket,

Floyd
    I cheated. My daughter is a professional seamstress. It was easy enough to do, and I suspect it was more a speed thing with her help. We finished it in a single day.

About the measuring, I was worried that I'd made it too wide even though I'm a side sleeper. A while back I bought an Enlightened Equipment quilt and it wound up being the same width.

I really like the "draft stoppers" all down the sides of the Ray Way quilt. They work great.

I have made virtually all of the ray way kits. They are all straight forward with very well explained instructions. It really is quite the deal to get ultralight gear for the price. Roughly $300 for the quilt, pack and tarp/tent. I loaded my ray way pack with 34 lbs total including 9 days food. I really felt it. The pack was fine but it was too much on my shoulders. I think it is best with a 6-8 lb base weight and a total weight of 20-22lbs. There is a hip belt option with the pack kits but I m not sure how much load transfer to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've built a pack, tarp, net-tent, and quilt from Ray-Way. The pack was the first thing I ever sewed in my life. Took a few dedicated days, but it came out great. I've used it on several dozen trips in the last 3 or 4 years without issue. I did install the straps backwards, but it hasn't bothered me

Other hikers question it's durability at first glance, but I just smile, knowing I've saved a few pounds without compromise.

Like others have said, if you keep your total weight to ~20 lbs. it's perfect.

Images

I started with Ray-Way kits but found the stuff bulky and the pack didn't work for me at all. I took what I learned and built new packs with a frame and sitpad from gossamer gear, hybrid cuben from Z-packs. Now I have a couple different size packs that fit me and carry like a dream. Then I bought a couple down quilt kits from Thru-hiker and built those for 40 degrees and 20 degrees. I played around for a couple of years building tarps and bugnets that worked, but Z-packs Solplex is a work of art. I now carry one of those in Camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I started with Ray-Way kits but found the stuff bulky and the pack didn't work for me at all. I took what I learned and built new packs with a frame and sitpad from gossamer gear, hybrid cuben from Z-packs. Now I have a couple different size packs that fit me and carry like a dream. Then I bought a couple down quilt kits from Thru-hiker and built those for 40 degrees and 20 degrees. I played around for a couple of years building tarps and bugnets that worked, but Z-packs Solplex is a work of art. I now carry one of those in Camo.
    Any photos to share of your packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I made the ray-way pack. I love it as long as your weight is low. I will be thru hiking with it this year and my plan is never to get above 24 lbs. It carries well at that weight but 18 or less feels like nothing. So a day or two after resupply It should be below that. My base weight is right at 10lbs. I also added a rolltop because I didn't like the draw string top.

I had never sewn before doing it. His instructions are top notch. He has many sizes that don't match up with normal backpacks. Its based on shoulder girth, so make sure to measure yourself correctly before ordering.

Journal Entries
    Images

+1`on that.
    I have this pack and unless you just want to MYOG then this is A great pack for the price.
    I actually ordered another one just because im A gear junkie like that.
    I would like to think this pack has one of the best suspension systems out there especially in the 2 lb range.
    I found it has plenty of room for my three season set up and even A little to spare.
    My pack weight is right at 24lbs total load out weight for three season and that is with two liters of water and I Must say this pack rides like A dream and is so comfortable.
    So something to consider.

++ New Posts ++