WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Bluebird

Default ULA Circuit; Why shaped yellow dangles on shoulder straps?

Folks, I bought my Circuit second-hand. My question is not about the yellow dangles, because it appears that they are used to tie odds and ends on the shoulder straps. 1. Am I wrong? 2. Why the tear-drop shape? Special application?

Thanks,

Images

Used to hold water bottles mainly for me at least. They stretch.

Images

As stated above.

Some folks use two per bottle, one at top, the other around the bottom of the bottle. I find that just one around the neck of a Vitamin Water bottle is sufficient 99.5% of the time. I think in about 150 miles of hiking through the High Sierra, a water bottle fell off maybe 3 or 4 times. Using only one cord made removing and replacing the bottle much easier. Try it, you might like it. This method has replaced my much heavier water bladder.

Journal Entries

They are water bottle holsters, as said above.
    Some like them, some think its stupid.
    Mostly the people that arent limber enough to reach back and take a water bottle out of their side pocket like them.
    For those that are, they are just extra weight.
    The little black clip opens up, and you can remove them if you dont use them, although they add a nice color accent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Mostly the people that arent limber enough to reach back and take a water bottle out of their side pocket like them.
    Or if you want to use your side pockets for other things.

Water bottle on shoulder strap is VERY convenient. I thought they were silly for several years - until I tried them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Or if you want to use your side pockets for other things.

Water bottle on shoulder strap is VERY convenient. I thought they were silly for several years - until I tried them.
    True, sort of.
    In reality, the side pockets are designed and intended for water bottles.

All my stuff fits inside my pack, i dont know what, or why anyone would put anything else in a side water bottle pocket where it can fall out, But if it makes them content, good for them.

If i didnt use water bottles, i wouldnt get a pack with side bottle pockets personally. Its extra weight. . All the options got added not to alienate any potential customer.

I dont think its silly to use holsters, my son does. He cant get bottle out of side pockets. I dont understand it, i can reach back and grab it while walking, and put it back while walking too. With one hand. It doesnt get any easier if you are limber enough. Ive hiked with people with osprey type packs where all day i had to hand them their water because pack pockets werent designed for it, not eager to hike with them again. People should not expect others to hand them their water all day. If holsters prevents this, use them, please.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-30-2015 at 22:40.

At first I took them off, thinking that hanging a water bottle there was a dumb idea. Then, just for the heck of it, I reinstalled and I love them! I've added this feature to my other packages.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

When I first purchased my ULA Circuit, I used the water bottle loops on the shoulder straps quite a bit. Later on I added shoulder pouches from zPacks (which are great) and switched to carrying water in the side pockets. I have no trouble pulling a bottle out of the side pockets without taking off my pack. It helps to have a long and tall bottle like the smartwater bottles for easy access. I like using the side pockets better than the loops. It comes down to personal preference.

"The same article that one declares is most essential to his comfort, health, and happiness is the very first thing that another will throw into the trail. A man's outfit is a matter which seems as to touch his private honor. I have heard veterans sitting around a camp-fire proclaim the superiority of their kits with a jealousy, loyalty and enthusiasm they would not exhibit for the flesh of their flesh and the bone of their bone. On a campaign you may attack a man's courage, the flag he serves, the newspaper for which he works, his intelligence, or his camp manners, and he will ignore you; but if you criticize his patent water-bottle he will fall upon you with both fists."
    Richard Harding Davis

Use them to hold an umbrella.
    Took mine off and use the side pockets for my water bottles.

Journal Entries

Designed for water bottles, I use mine for my bandana.
    Cake

I put my Tent in one of my side pockets so that I do not have to open my pack up to get the tent out and I can set it up in the rain with the pack cover on my pack. I do have a tie down to hold things in my side pocket.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnette View Post
    Designed for water bottles, I use mine for my bandana.
    Cake
    Yeah, I use mine as a misc. attach point on one side, took the other side off. doesn't work for me for a water bottle, as other's have said, the side pockets hold quart-sized water bottle, two on one side if you want, with easy access.

My pack (elemental horizons kslais) is much like a ULA Circut but did not come with those straps so added some myself. I rather like water there. I find that having the weight up front counter balances the pack weight on the back. I also find that the water sloshes around less on the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    True, sort of.
    In reality, the side pockets are designed and intended for water bottles.

All my stuff fits inside my pack, i dont know what, or why anyone would put anything else in a side water bottle pocket where it can fall out, But if it makes them content, good for them.

If i didnt use water bottles, i wouldnt get a pack with side bottle pockets personally. Its extra weight. . All the options got added not to alienate any potential customer.

I dont think its silly to use holsters, my son does. He cant get bottle out of side pockets. I dont understand it, i can reach back and grab it while walking, and put it back while walking too. With one hand. It doesnt get any easier if you are limber enough. Ive hiked with people with osprey type packs where all day i had to hand them their water because pack pockets werent designed for it, not eager to hike with them again. People should not expect others to hand them their water all day. If holsters prevents this, use them, please.
    My ULA Catalyst is the only pack that I own that I can't reach a water bottle in the side pockets. Not only could I not reach the water bottle, the pocket was not designed to accept the water bottle very well. I noticed that some were repurposing a mouthwash bottle that was thin as water bottles with the ULA which would fit the pockets better, although I think ULA has redesigned the side pockets on the newer ones to better accept water bottles. Using one shoulder loop worked well as long as it wasn't raining. When wet the bottle would dislodge if I jarred it on down hills. I can't count the number of times I chased a water bottle, although I didn't loose any. This would have been avoided if I has used two loops per bottle. BTW, no problem reaching a water bottle in the side pocket of my Osprey Exos.

I have the Ohm 2.0 which is just a lighter Circuit, and I love the side pouches. ULA really did design them to actually hold a full size water bottle and be accessible... what a concept. I cut the yellow cords off the shoulder straps and put a pouch on there to hold my maps.

My Circuit's side pockets are so big that I can get a 2L platypus AND a 1L smart water bottle in the pocket. A very tight fit but nice to be able to do that on longer water carries.

I'm not sure the model year of my Catalyst, but I purchased it in Harpers Ferry in 2012 and carried it to Katahdin. The side pockets are very shallow.

In bear country, these are great for holding a can of bear spray.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++