WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trust the shuttlers with my keys?

I have contacted the Nolinchucky River Campground in Erwin, TN. who said they could provide a shuttle with my car. They would drive me in my car to the trailhead and then drive back with my car & keys to park it at the campground to await my arrival back at the campground a few days later. I'm a bit nervous about this arrangement. Are there some safeguards to put in place to avoid someone running off with my car? Or should I try to contact another shuttler? I chose this campground since it runs right by the AT & is so convenient.
    Mama Llama

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pkinnetz View Post
    I have contacted the Nolinchucky River Campground in Erwin, TN. who said they could provide a shuttle with my car. They would drive me in my car to the trailhead and then drive back with my car & keys to park it at the campground to await my arrival back at the campground a few days later. I'm a bit nervous about this arrangement. Are there some safeguards to put in place to avoid someone running off with my car? Or should I try to contact another shuttler? I chose this campground since it runs right by the AT & is so convenient.
    the whole business isnt going to pack up and leave town while youre hiking just so they can make off with your car.

is this proposition really more risky than getting in the car of someone you dont know and letting them drive you to somewhere in the middle of the woods?

Images

Just the car key, no house keys, of course. I'd be okay with it -- more okay that parking my car at a remote trailhead in the woods for a week, which I do all the time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

We've done this a couple of times, with people who were a lot less respectable than this business. It was a little nerve-wracking, wondering if all had gone as planned, but we had no problems in the end. As tdoczi said, the business isn't going to move while you're hiking, and it is much safer to have your car waiting at a campground than at a trailhead.

Okay, I'm feeling a bit better about this. Yes, they are respectable and have been around for awhile. I was worried more about somebody slipping in and grabbing the keys who may not be of their establishment. But life always has risks, huh? thank guys. And I certainly do prefer to have my car parked in their lot than parked off in nowheresville.
    Mama Llama

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pkinnetz View Post
    Okay, I'm feeling a bit better about this. Yes, they are respectable and have been around for awhile. I was worried more about somebody slipping in and grabbing the keys who may not be of their establishment. But life always has risks, huh? thank guys. And I certainly do prefer to have my car parked in their lot than parked off in nowheresville.
    Not sure If I fully understand the concern.

Is part of the concern that the shuttler will be leaving your keys in the car?

That's easy to address. Just have them lock the key in the car trunk (or some not too obvious spot) and carry an extra set.

I do this with my mechanic for after hours pickups.

Journal Entries

You will be fine.

But....

If you are gong to worry about something, whether logical or not, it can disrupt your trip. Arrange things so you dont have to worry, whatever that takes.

Or, simply accept that sometimes bad things happen, with best of prevention, and decide not to let concern over risks ruin your time.

This applies to many risks, not just vehicle.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-02-2015 at 08:20.

Images

I've arranged vehicle shuttling lots of time, both with "businesses" and "individuals/strangers" and have never had a problem. Life's too short to worry about such little things.

That said, I also take an extra key and recommend all my group hikers who drive their own vehicles have/share an extra key when on a trip. That has come in handy several times. For instance, when we need to send someone ahead to retrieve vehicles or we need to split the group.

I have found (or been in a group that found) keys along the trail, at campsites, etc. A spare key would have solved a big problem for whoever lost them, I bet. That's a much more real problem than shuttlers stealing vehicles (something I have never heard of).
    Last edited by Rain Man; 08-02-2015 at 16:44. Reason: clarify
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

So true, MuddyWaters-- anything that takes the worry out of a trip makes for a better trip. Just having this discussion took the worry away from me (or rather put the fear into manageable perspective). This was out of the usual for me--in my 19 years of backpacking w a shuttler, all of the trips had been them driving me, with the exception of one time. That time the shuttler gave me the keys to her car and asked us to drive ourselves to the trailhead, & park our car at the end. I think she had morning sickness then, and still wanted to help us by offering her car rather than cancelling. I believe in the goodness of the trail community, but the jury is out still for the outsiders-- it's those outsiders who I worry about.
    Mama Llama

Keep in mind that this is their business. It's how they get money to pay their bills.

It's geographically sensitive, they need to be located pretty much where they are.

It's part of a community, and people do talk. They aren't going to poison their own well, so to speak.

While I've never had them shuttle anything I wouldn't sweat it. Not for a moment.

Don't leave valuables out in the open to tempt someone but don't worry about them losing or stealing your car either.

Its a two way street...I've met people along the trail that I knew for 5 minutes before they tossed me the keys to their car to go into town for resupply or a pizza. One thing I've found is that many people are very bad about locking doors on cars, so I wouldn't leave anything in the vehicle that could be stolen...I can't tell you how many times I've taken a vehicle to a mechanic and when I go to pick it up its sitting in their parking lot unlocked with all of my valuables inside...now I pack up the car before I leave it in the care of someone else. Most people are absent minded and stupid, so even if they have no ill intentions and you remind them to lock the doors there will still be a good percentage of people who don't bother. And when your stuff does get stolen they will blame it on you. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are handing your keys over to someone who looks like a drug addict. You might also let them do the driving on the way to the trailhead so you can see how they will drive your car.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

the campground called me this week asking if i needed a decent car for $500. i told them sounds great and i would come pick it up while you were away. the plan was to report it as stolen. i own a body shop so can have it repainted for free, and switch the VIN with the same model junker I have out back.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    the campground called me this week asking if i needed a decent car for $500. i told them sounds great and i would come pick it up while you were away. the plan was to report it as stolen. i own a body shop so can have it repainted for free, and switch the VIN with the same model junker I have out back.
    youre probably kidding, but for the heck of it lets say you arent- a business isnt going to take on that hassle for $500. i would think the hit on their insurance for reporting something they voluntarily took into their care as stolen would negate the gain.

now, maybe if you were leaving your brand new ferarri....

Some time back, I left my car at Shaw's in Monson and arranged to have it driven up to Baxter when we were done with the HMW. The guy who came to pick us up also insisted on driving back to Monson, which was fine. It was a harrowing ride as he drove at high speeds, bouncing down the rough logging roads while I was praying we wouldn't hit a moose or that nothing too important would fall off my old and somewhat fragile car - like the exhaust or a wheel! Thankfully, the car made it and the ride probably only took 2 years off it's life - and mine...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Lone Wolf runs a chop shop over on the far east side of Damascus.
    He's been known to give hikers a ball jar of moonshine, insist they drink it. He sends the car to the chop shop after you black out and dumps you in the park.

If you come by the next day he just shakes his head an mumbles about folks who can't handle their liquor probably shouldn't be trusted with a car in the first place.

Other than LW and the damascus mafia no other problems have been reported.

I heard a guy called "Just Bill" woke up somewhere in China after quaffing that home-brew..... Something tells me he should've taken the about-town car instead of the Bentley. Must've been a chore to get back.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Ha.
    The car will be in mexico before anyone notices its missing.

++ New Posts ++