WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Yes. I want you to yell at the bear.

A black bear won't attack if you don't act like prey, and they're afraid of humans. Yelling at the bear is making human noises. And throwing rocks is showing that you'll stand your ground.

I've seen bears a bunch of times. Once they're aware of me, all that I see is a rapidly disappearing bear arse as the bear skedaddles out of there.

And if you're hiking in California, the only bears you'll see are black bears. The brown bear is extinct there. There are about 1500 grizzlies left in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, maybe a few dozen in Washington, and possibly some left in Colorado.
    Let's not forget that somewhat detached state, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Wiley has it locked down pretty tightly, I'm afraid, but your local library can probably turn it up for you: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...mg.72/abstract is the abstract. Steve also has a book out on the subject of managing human-bear conflict: http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-C.../dp/158574557X . Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your time and response. Greatly appreciated.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    What are you? A man or a mouse? You want to eat, you fight for your food. Black bears get hunted and know that humans are dangerous. They will run, unless you teach the bear that you are a prey animal to not be feared. By the way, Black bears in California are more of a golden brown color.
    In New England they get hunted, so you only see the ass end as it runs away. In other parts of the AT corridor, they can be more habituated to people.

I think you guys are probably right. Haven't read the article yet, but I intend to. But were y'all in the same situation the first time you yelled and threw rocks at a bear? In other words, the bear was paying attention to something else -- say, your food canister -- and you were at a safe distance, when you decided to approach the bear, start yelling and throwing rocks -- thereby, knowingly, diverting his attention from the food and focusing his attention on you? Weren't you a little nervous about doing that the first time you did it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++