WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    OK, I may have misremembered slightly, but I see on a topo that Abol Bridge is about 585 feet elevation, and Baxter Peak is 5266. So net elevation gain of 4680 or so, and add a few 50 foot PUDs here and there. It might be a little shy of 5000 feet, but not by more than a piddling amount. KSC is at 1070 or so, so Lone Wolf's figure is right on, and the Hunt Trail is pretty much straight climb.

I don't think that there's any disputing that the Hunt Trail is one of the more technical sections of the A-T. There's a comparable amount of ascent coming up onto the Presidentials, but it is considerably more gradual and has places to rest: Crawford Notch is about 1250, but after Webster and Jackson are passed comes Mizpah Spring at about 3800, and then again after Pierce and Eisenhower (and the A-T avoids the latter) there is Lakes of the Clouds at about 5010 before the final push to Mount Washington, so a weaker climber has places where it's possible to pull in and rest for a night.

The other spot that's infamous for sustained elevation gain is coming up out of NOC. The Wesser bridge is about 1800 feet elevation, and the trail ascends pretty steadily up to Cheoah Bald (how is that pronounced, anyway?) at 5050. But none of that is technical. It's just miles and miles of uphill, and you can pull off and pitch a tent just about anywhere.

Katahdin may be the most strenuous climb on the trail, but more important to the argument, it's by far the most strenuous that has no lawful place to pull over and spend a night. If The Birches, KSC, and Daicey Pond cannot accommodate, a hiker has to get in and out from Abol in a single day. There are many, even among the thru-hikers, who simply cannot manage that feat safely. Thirty miles and nearly ten thousand feet of elevation change - that must be accomplished in a single day to be lawful - is an overwhelming amount even for some fit and experienced hikers.

I suspect that the limit that has BSP bursting at the seams is indeed that The Birches and KSC cannot accommodate the number of A-T users who arrive nowadays. Given that expansion of these facilities, or construction of new ones, is a non-starter. Day users and those with campground reservations can be spread out better, because Chimney Pond, Roaring Brook, Davis Pond, and other sites are available to them. For this reason, the suggestion that someone else made that a shuttle service for a "mini flip flop" be instituted to allow hikers to ascend from Katahdin Stream and then walk out - or perhaps the section between Abol Bridge and Katahdin Stream could be made optional. That would convert thru-hikers into day users, and moreover, day users who would not be using a parking space. It leaves the same amount of traffic on the Hunt Trail, but it is conceivable that at least today's level of traffic could be handled if BSP didn't have to find places to put everyone up.

Of course, I could be wrong, and the real problem might be overcrowding at the Katahdin summit. I hope it isn't that one, because that one is fixable only by denying people the opportunity to climb. (That has a cascade effect. Those denied will likely try again, increasing the pressure to where some may spend a lifetime without getting permission. This is already the case for popular wilderness trips elsewhere. Someone entering the lottery for a Grand Canyon rafting trip, for instance, has only about a 10% chance of getting a launch opportunity in any given year.
    The locals pronounce it ch - o - a.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    So you're ready to wag the finger at Jurek on hearsay, but not to question Baxter on similar grounds. Double standard. Heads Baxter's right, tails Scott's wrong. Spares one the trouble of critical thought and review of factual evidence. Remind me to strike you if you're ever in my jury pool.

Scott posted a photo showing he was ticketed down among trees and cars, which proves Bissell was not telling the truth in saying Scott hiked down with the citations. Do you wonder whether Bissell's wrong about anything else?

There are two sides to this story, and you're deaf to one of them. Doesn't matter to you that Baxter's rangers very likely ok'd Scott's party size and Scott's friend bringing up the champagne. Even though, if it happened to you, you'd be furious. As would I. As would any reasonable person. Didn't happen to you, so no sweat off your nose. And you don't like Scott or his hike for some reason, so whatever he gets, he deserves. That' pretty rough justice, cowboy. Hope you don't get caught on the wrong end of such a situation. Tell you what, though, I'll take your side if you do.
    Your opinion doesn't trump anyones here. You claim Jurek was exhausted, not in his right mind, etc, and probably wasn't aware of the rules of the park. Surely you have encountered the "ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse" a time or two in life. Thats kind of my approach. Again, if you were privy to these conversations that happened, the I will defer to your direct knowledge, otherwise its opinion much as mine is.

Bottom line remains, infractions occurred, Jureck is high profile, it was an example that could be made using that political tool that would have impact far beyond the event. When you give someone the keys to a political vehicle that you didn't need to, you get what you get. Following the rules (presumption being whoever goes into the park is well aware of them) is fairly simple and doesn't result in any citations.

We have beaten this topic to death, frankly. Perhaps time to move on to things more worthwhile and move away from cabbage that has been chewed twice.

And here I was thinking WB was a always a fact based forum. You shattered my world tonight AT Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    So you're ready to wag the finger at Jurek on hearsay, but not to question Baxter on similar grounds. Double standard. Heads Baxter's right, tails Scott's wrong. Spares one the trouble of critical thought and review of factual evidence. Remind me to strike you if you're ever in my jury pool.

Scott posted a photo showing he was ticketed down among trees and cars, which proves Bissell was not telling the truth in saying Scott hiked down with the citations. Do you wonder whether Bissell's wrong about anything else?

There are two sides to this story, and you're deaf to one of them. Doesn't matter to you that Baxter's rangers very likely ok'd Scott's party size and Scott's friend bringing up the champagne. Even though, if it happened to you, you'd be furious. As would I. As would any reasonable person. Didn't happen to you, so no sweat off your nose. And you don't like Scott or his hike for some reason, so whatever he gets, he deserves. That' pretty rough justice, cowboy. Hope you don't get caught on the wrong end of such a situation. Tell you what, though, I'll take your side if you do.
    Wow! I had not noticed this. D8, I am surprised. You have posted so much great perspective. Bissell was obviously wrong about where Scott was ticketed. However, that does not prove he was not telling the truth. It only proves he was wrong. I can accept that he might be wrong about other things. It does not show intent to deceive. There are those that believe that Mount Washington is the highest peak on the AT. If they state that, they are being honest, but are wrong.Furthermore, just because Scott was told by someone else that someone told them that the alcohol was approved, that is not grounds to accept that as fact or to get furious over anything. The video shows Scott being handed a bottle and Scott accepting it without question. It is reasonable to assume Scott was exhausted and went with the moment. It is not reasonable to think Scott was aware of the hearsay approval of alcohol at that moment. Lastly, Scott stated that he signed in as part of a group of less than 12. How can he be approved as a group larger than 12 as well? Again, I am surprised. Your analysis has been very helpful... minus that post.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-04-2015 at 19:31.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Scott stated that he signed in as part of a group of less than 12. How can he be approved as a group larger than 12 as well?
    To what extent does he have a duty to get rid of well-wishers who attach themselves to his entourage? Ask them politely to leave? Scream at them to get away? Ask his support crew - the legitimate ones - to block their path? Abandon the climb if they keep following him?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    To what extent does he have a duty to get rid of well-wishers who attach themselves to his entourage? Ask them politely to leave? Scream at them to get away? Ask his support crew - the legitimate ones - to block their path? Abandon the climb if they keep following him?
    I fully agree with that point. If groupies are part of Baxter's calculations, that is insane. However, I believe the group Scott claims as less than 12 does not include his film crew. That is equally insane. I could be wrong about that. I am not trying to deceive though. My point is it seemed to me that D8 was implying that BSP approved a group larger than 12 when Scott states that he registered within the limit of 12. I am making no claim on group size. I am simply stating both cannot be true.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

a well known one leg hiker one year ran into trouble on the table lands, he called on his cell for help, against the rules, was picked up by a helicopter then taken to town for dinner by the park head honcho for dinner. the folks that run baxter are comical. much ado over nothin' with scott

Jurek is just another dumb nobo. Meant no harm, enjoyed the trail.
    Rangers did what they normally do, look the other way and patted a hiker on the back fer a job well done.
    Bissell is a well meaning fella who went way off the reservation to prove his point.
    If baxter was plowed over to grow cucumbers there would be more than enough vinegar from all the douchebaggery to pickle them all.

The park over the people.
    Forget the people. Good, bad, ugly- they are just people.

Worry about the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Jurek is just another dumb nobo. Meant no harm, enjoyed the trail.
    Rangers did what they normally do, look the other way and patted a hiker on the back fer a job well done.
    Bissell is a well meaning fella who went way off the reservation to prove his point.
    If baxter was plowed over to grow cucumbers there would be more than enough vinegar from all the douchebaggery to pickle them all.

The park over the people.
    Forget the people. Good, bad, ugly- they are just people.

Worry about the park.
    I get that. I see no point to debate. If I may add, worry about access to the park. The park will be fine. It don't need any of us. We can all scream and sulk and it will be fine. Worry about being able to go in. For those that don't worry about that, shut up and stay out. The sad part is many of us favored heirs are hoping for a miracle where people everywhere collectively ask themselves "how can I assure this treasure is accessible to people that pass this way after me?" The park is fine. The park is more than fine. Worry about access. Please don't misunderstand JB. I get your points. I do not disagree with them. They are valid. In the end if our care is cast on the park, access will be assured. If we care about our petty interests, access will eventually be denied.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-04-2015 at 22:07.

Another strong article in the Bangor Daily News: http://selfpropelledtravelsinmaine.b...d-on-katahdin/

Absolutely on target. The ego-driven lives of those who turn sublime experiences of most into their personal greed for "accomplishment". No naturalist philosopher of the last couple centuries of merit support this type of shameful egoism.

Spot on. However, it will not be long before someone bashes the author, not on merit, but because of heritage. Said critic will question his integrity because of location, thus revealing who is the bigot. I now await the pithy reply.

Another strong article in the Bangor Daily News: http://selfpropelledtravelsinmaine.b...d-on-katahdin/

Absolutely on target. The ego-driven lives of those who turn sublime experiences of most into their personal greed for "accomplishment". No naturalist philosopher of the last couple centuries of merit support this type of shameful egoism.

Just look at the comments supporting his article too. I don't see anyone supporting Jurek.

Spot on. However, it will not be long before someone bashes the author, not on merit, but because of heritage. Said critic will question his integrity because of location, thus revealing who is the bigot. I now await the pithy reply.
    you're so weak

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post

i'm sure these nature gurus wouldn't have approved of "normal" thru hikes either

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm sure these nature gurus wouldn't have approved of "normal" thru hikes either
    They most certainly would have been appalled by the likes of Theodore Roosevelt.

Journal Entries
    Images

He was a President, BTW.

Did some other things, too.

Oh, never mind.

"Leave it is it is. It cannot be improved upon." I don't have the quote in front of me. Hopefully I am close. I am confused. I thought we were the nature gurus. I am going to have to study the ATC site. I think I missed the memo. Should we attack John Muir and the Sierra Club next?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Your opinion doesn't trump anyones here. You claim Jurek was exhausted, not in his right mind, etc, and probably wasn't aware of the rules of the park. Surely you have encountered the "ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse" a time or two in life. Thats kind of my approach.
    Your approach is also to refuse to address Scott's statements, to admit that he might be telling the truth. By your lights, his telling the truth in this case is either impossible or irrelevant.

If you admit that he might be telling the truth, you have to admit that you don't care that the rangers OK'd the size his party and then the park cited him, per his story, for people up top waiting to applaud him who were unknown to him. You further must then admit that the if rangers OK'd Aron Ralston to bring champagne up, for which Scott was later cited, you don't care. Doesn't matter to you that, as Another Kevin ably explains, the rangers' granting the permission - "just keep it away from families and children" - constituted a waiver of the rule and that, as I've said, that's a bait and switch. Or maybe that really does bother you, but you don't want to admit that.

Setting aside the rights and wrongs of Scott's hike, of speed-hiking in general, AT T, if this in fact happened to you, if the rangers at Baxter or some other law enforcement authority gave you some leeway with the rules, only to turn on a dime and ticket you for the same thing, you'd be good and mad about it. You don't acknowledge that, maybe because you think it undermines your case and BSP's position.

That's not a matter of opinion, much as you try to distract from the point by saying it's only a matter of opinion. If police or rangers did substantially the same thing to you, you'd be furious. Your refusal to admit that, even to address the point, is a statement in its own right.

But I'll pose you the question directly so you can't say you weren't given the chance. Do you think it's possible Scott's account of his and his party's interaction with BSP personnel is true? Ball's in your court, Traveler.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Bissell was obviously wrong about where Scott was ticketed. However, that does not prove he was not telling the truth. It only proves he was wrong. I can accept that he might be wrong about other things. It does not show intent to deceive. There are those that believe that Mount Washington is the highest peak on the AT. If they state that, they are being honest, but are wrong.
    I stand by what I said there, BB, and how I said it, which I took care in phrasing. Your example proves my point.

It is not the truth that Mount Washington is the highest peak on the A.T. Someone who says that is not telling the truth. They may be doing so to the best of their knowledge, in good faith, but they are not telling the truth. Likewise with Bissell's statement about where Scott J was cited. He made a false statement. Whether he knew or should have known it was false is another kettle of fish - I don't know what his knowledge or state of mind was when he said it, nor have I claimed to.

As to someone being furious, as I said to Traveler, BB: if what Scott alleges, in fact, happened to you, you'd be very angry about it. I'm betting you'd admit that. We do not know, first hand, none of us here, what did happen. What we do know is there are two sides to the story, and Scott has already proved, to a reasonable approximation, that a key part of Bissell's story is false. To most unbiased observers, that would trigger concern that other parts of Bissell's story may be false - credibility, and all.

Raises a reasonable concern, though by no means a certainty, that Scott was mistreated, baited and switched here. There are some here who so dislike Scott or his hike or that are so afraid of or loyal to Baxter that they refuse to admit this. The only thing Scott did that he wasn't given a pass on was the "littering" by spraying the champagne, and I think most people not sharply partisan for Baxter here scoff of that citation as overreaching.

Finally, you mentioned the "camera crew." I believe Scott's party of 12 included the camera crew that came with him, but I could be wrong. There were two Runner's World journalists at the summit who hiked up separately and awaited him, recording his arrival, celebration and Q&A. They were not among the 12 and were not the camera crew ppl who filmed him now and then over the 2189 mile hike. On what basis do you assert that? I easily could've missed something - please advise if so.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++