WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Appalachian Trail record-setter says Baxter State Park officials 'vilifying' him - Pr

Press Herald

Appalachian Trail record-setter says Baxter State Park officials 'vilifying' him
    Press Herald
    On July 12, Jurek broke the previous world record by completing the entire Appalachian Trail – which stretches 2,185 miles from Georgia to Maine – in 46 days, eight hours and eight minutes. The feat garnered international media attention for Jurek, ...
    It's a long, long trail ...Waterbury Republican American
    Climbing Maine's Katahdin is not for sissiesThe Japan Times

all 4 news articles »

More...

Can we get a Jurek filter on the news feed? Now he's whining the 12 man film crew he brought with him wasn't "with him".
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 08-02-2015 at 16:18.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Can we get a Jurek filter on the news feed? Now he's whining the 12 man film crew he brought with him wasn't "with him".
    I've been biting my tongue and trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the more he blames others, the less neutral I feel towards this professional athlete.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

my respect for Jennifer Phar Davis has only grown since I've read more about the way the Jurek expedition conducted itself in Baxter State Park.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I've been biting my tongue and trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the more he blames others, the less neutral I feel towards this professional athlete.
    Well said.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Scott has done more damage to the AT with his misbehavior and arrogance than any other individual in history. Certainly more damage to the relationship with BSP than any other person ever. Not the way any professional acts. We need to strip him of his claim as record holder.
    A plea to Scott. Please stay off our trails you have done enough damage already.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Scott has done more damage to the AT with his misbehavior and arrogance than any other individual in history. Certainly more damage to the relationship with BSP than any other person ever.
    absolute bullcrap. they singled him out for sure

Journal Entries
    Images

Jurek is 100% correct about selective enforcement.

Not only with regard to the others in his party-- but also with regard to him as an individual.

How can I say this with any authority?

Simple.

I have read recent BSP annual reports where they list every such infraction. There are precious few. There are precious few tickets for infractions of any kind.

I find Bissell's comment that the decision to write the summons at the base of Katahdin was the call of law enforcement ranger on duty at the base of Katahdin to lack credibility, though I have no direct evidence that it was at the direction of Bissel himself.

If it was not at his direction, I suggest that he should be more aware of what is going on in his park-- and if it it was at his direction, well ...
    Last edited by rickb; 08-02-2015 at 17:25.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    What we REALLY need is a self-righteous, holier-than-thou filter.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yes, that would be nice.

All one has to do at BSP is follow the rules. If you can't, just don't go into the park. That simple. If you get caught not following them, don't whine about the ticket. Rules are clear, enforcement actions can be the result. Deal with it straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post

All one has to do at BSP is follow the rules. If you can't, just don't go into the park. That simple.
    all BSP officials have to do is enforce rules with ZERO tolerance, equally across the board, and not pick and choose who to mess with. that simple

Rick b, lone wolf, and others
    The selective enforcement is obvious, Baxter authorities should behave better than they have, but they do have decision making powers, we do not.
    but that is not what we are talking about, we are talking about Scott's, his crew, and sponsors' behavior. Scott is supposed to be a professional, always handle himself in a professional manner, the same expectations hold for his crew and sponsors. They were notified of what was expected of them. They chose to ignore the rules fully knowing the consequences to themselves and to the AT as well. The authorities told them what behaviors they expected. Through his selfishness he willfully did a tremendous amount of damage to the AT. That is probably unable to be repaired.
    If we lose Katadin as part of the AT, I put that lose at Scott's feet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, that would be nice.

All one has to do at BSP is follow the rules. If you can't, just don't go into the park. That simple. If you get caught not following them, don't whine about the ticket. Rules are clear, enforcement actions can be the result. Deal with it straight up.
    Juerek was not only cited for infractions, he was publicly shamed by the park director himself.

One way he was shamed was by the public accusation of littering.

That the Park Director elected not to share that this charge was based on Champagne Spray at the time the headlines were written is telling.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    But no one would have the benefit and extreme privilege of reading my posts. . .

Rules are rules. If he broke them, then he should pay the fine. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. That being said, the idea that Jurek hasn't been specially targeted doesn't get much traction to me. In the last year, has he been the only one to break the rules? I am sure others who are nameless also have broken the rules. Why do I know about him? The reason is because it served a purpose, and I am not sure that bringing additional awareness to the rules was that purpose.

I've seen the "partying" type of thru hikers who have done more damage in a single day then Scott did during his entire journey.

Just my self-righteous, holier-than-thou 2 cents. . . .

Lone wolf
    When my son was 3 years old he complained a whole lot about "that's not fair" at age 20 HE has learned to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Through his selfishness he willfully did a tremendous amount of damage to the AT. That is probably unable to be repaired.
    If we lose Katadin as part of the AT, I put that lose at Scott's feet.
    absolute garbage once again

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    all BSP officials have to do is enforce rules with ZERO tolerance, equally across the board, and not pick and choose who to mess with. that simple
    I see. So break the rules then whine when you get caught because others didn't get caught is your position. Fair enough. Though a commercial event is a lot different than solitary hikers. I respect your position, though its not one I would embrace.

Images

If sounds to me that the Baxter park people think they are holier than thou - I'm on Jurek's side on this one, What a joke this has become.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    That being said, the idea that Jurek hasn't been specially targeted doesn't get much traction to me. In the last year, has he been the only one to break the rules? I am sure others who are nameless also have broken the rules. Why do I know about him?
    Facts might help inform your opinion on this issue.

Attached below are the most recent records (published last fall for 2013) for both warnings and citations:

Attachment 31567

image.jpg

I see. So break the rules then whine when you get caught because others didn't get caught is your position.
    nope. not my position. for years BSP has done a lousy job enforcing anything. they chumped out on this Jurek thing. zero tolerance across the board. though i bet if Jurek was born and raised in Millinocket he'd of gotten a free pass for sure

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++