WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hammock camping in the smokies

I'm planning a hike In the Smokies in October. I know that you are suppose to reserve a place for the shelter you are planning to stay at, is it legal or illegal to hammock camp in the Smokies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have looked into this because my upcoming AT hike will be done in a hammock. This is an unqualified answer but I believe there is no rule against hanging in the Smokies but a few things have to be met first. You are to stay in a shelter, that is a rule, but there is an exception for thru hikers in that if the shelter is full, they may set up camp next to, but not attached to, the shelter structure. I am not certain if this is extended to section hikers. I am sure that others will answer up on this and if their information differs from what I am posting then their answer is probably more accurate. I would only add that the rules change all the time so you may want to check to make sure. I have heard that some areas are requiring 2" tree straps.

Don't by any means want to sound like a know it all but as I just did all of the smokies, I have asked Trail side rangers, called the back country office, and read a lot online. Here is the answer: NO. Tried typing it all out but this damn forum key stroke is messed up.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I just think that it is ridiculous that you are required to stay in a shelter, I despise shelters and I despise sleeping pads equally!

I didn't agree either but then I got a first hand explanation in person, on the trail and now I understand why. After u hike it and see the beauty of the trail, it is easy to see how much of an impact we are saving by being required to stay in certain locations. Bring earplugs.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

There are 2 types of overnight sites within the park. Shelters and reservable backcountry. Hammock camping is permitted on any non-shelter site. Refer to park regulations regarding shelter use. As others have stated you can only tent or hammock camp at shelters if they are full.

I don't get it, it's a National Park, they have a website. Go there. They post the rules and regulations. So you just have to read their regulations and follow along.
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The GSMNP is the main place I camp, and I've been doing for 20 years. I have read the rules and regulations... and not just those on the back of the trail map or the "plan your visit" website. I've read the entire compendium of rules and regulations (basically, the "local" rules above and beyond what the "regular" rules are for national parks). So relative to most people on this site, I am a bit of a "know it all" when it comes to the rules and regulations of GSMNP.

For those with a "General Backcountry Permit", the rules simply break down like this:
    1. You can only camp at designated camp sites and shelters.
    2. You must have a reservation for each camp site and shelter.
    3. The rules specifically state that Hammocks are treated like tents.
    4. Tents are not allowed at Shelters.

The rules are different for those with an "AT Thru-Hiker Permit".
    1. To obtain a Thru hiker permit, you must start and end your trip 50 miles beyond the GSMNP boundaries.
    2. Once you enter the park, you have 8 days to leave.
    4. Reservations are NOT required.
    3. You may only camp at the shelters (and the one campsite) along the AT.
    (i.e. you are not permitted to hike down a side trail and stay at one of the back country campsites off the AT)
    5. When shelters are not full, you are required to stay in the shelter.
    6. If the shelter is full, you are allowed to setup a tent (or hammock) in the general vicinity of the shelter.
    7. Hammocks may not be attached to any part of a shelter.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-03-2015 at 14:34.

Thanks for all of the info, looks like I will need to take my pad and bag along with me and leave the hammock at the house.

What about the non-AT trails?
    Any chance the shelters might be full and need to carry a shelter?

Section Hiker

I believe you can hang at a non-shelter campsite, provided you have a permit/reservation to camp there.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

How often do you encounter Rangers in the GSMNP?

Quote Originally Posted by ctjkelley View Post
    How often do you encounter Rangers in the GSMNP
    That question does not deserve an answer. If your not going to play by the rules, stay home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That question does not deserve an answer. If your not going to play by the rules, stay home.
    Actually valid as they are there to help and serve us and we should know that answer. They are out there but also rare to see on trail. On my thru no rangers but have seen them on occasion since.

Images

I agree with Slo.....

yes they there to serve us but in this thread, sounds like OP is just trying to find out how easy it is to break the rules.....

either abide by rules or stay home....

What is the practical feasibility of arranging a hike through the smokies where one travels to a legal backcountry camping site via side trails each night to avoid sleeping in the shelters? Obviously a reservation would be required for each site and the AT thru hiker permit won't work. But assuming that there is availability and a willingness to go through the hassle of making reservations, has anyone mapped out the best way to accomplish the objective of not having to use shelters within the park by diverting to legal campsites instead? At some point I'm going to research this in detail since that's the way I would (ideally) like to hike the AT through the park.

I'm not here to break any rules, matter of fact I would gladly abide by all rules regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them! I was simply asking how often you come across a ranger, there are many benefits of knowing that answer, how often they are there enforcing reservation rules as it's not my responsibility to do so, safety, etc. With that being said, to lay your questions to rest I do know how to follow and abide by rules.

Section Hiker

You could take the BMT all the way through the Smokies instead of the AT and accomplish that (camping at only backcountry sites). Supposed to be a pretty, but different, hike. If you're an AT purist this won't work for you, but it's something I've considered and probably has to be a personal choice as to whether or not it supports your personal goals.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    You could take the BMT all the way through the Smokies instead of the AT and accomplish that (camping at only backcountry sites). Supposed to be a pretty, but different, hike. If you're an AT purist this won't work for you, but it's something I've considered and probably has to be a personal choice as to whether or not it supports your personal goals.
    That is an alternate that I've read about but I believe that the BMT sticks to the lower elevations and this would result in missing some well known spectacular parts of the AT. It does sound like it could be part of a nice loop.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What about the non-AT trails?
    Any chance the shelters might be full and need to carry a shelter?
    If you have a reservation at a shelter, in theory, you should have a spot in the shelter.

Along the AT, a certain number of spots are set aside for those with AT thru-hiker permits. Because AT thru-hikers do not have to get specific reservations at shelters, if a shelter is beyond capacity, the thru-hikers are required to relinquish their spot in the shelter to those with general permit who do have reservations for the shelter.

For shelters off the AT, everone should have a reservation for the shelter, and the NPS doesn't over-book.

But this assumes that everyone plays by the rules, and that plans never change for those with general backcountry permits.

The reality is that not everyone plays by the rules, and sometimes things happen in the backcountry that prevents a general backcountry permit holder from staying on schedule. So it is considered wise to be prepared to have some form of shelter... not only in case you get to a shelter and the shelter if beyond full, but just because things can happen to you on the trail that can prevent you from making it to your planned shelter.

That being said, I so far have never stayed in even a "full" shelter, even when the online reservation system shows the shelter is full. But then I've NOT stayed at shelters along the AT during the thru-hiker bubble (I've heard of stories where scores of tents have been seen at shelters like Ice Water Springs during the thru-hiker bubble).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++