WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I always wonder how those with multiple thousands of posts in a relatively short time manage to read, think about, and reply to so many threads, all while working full time.

That said, it's 4:30a.m. and time to go to work.

Depends on your work... how you define it. Since I'm on a computer at a home office everyday for work purposes reading, learning, and posting is an aside. I'm both self employed and employed by others. Plus, work is often in 45-120 day projects or piece work where, IF I WANT, can take time off at various times. When I do work it's often averaging 70 or more hrs weekly. I'm often paid based on my production or for the entire length of the project in installments NOT on/only on a salary or hourly based rate. I earn my time off. Also, I watch very little to no TV during long durations(haven't owned a TV for the past 6-7 yrs), and do little shopping choosing to lead a very simple frugal non consumer/materialism based lifestyle that frees up time, money, and other resources to do other things like independent self study and share. ALL THIS is by design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Depends on your work... how you define it. Since I'm on a computer at a home office everyday for work purposes reading, learning, and posting is an aside. I'm both self employed and employed by others. Plus, work is often in 45-120 day projects or piece work where, IF I WANT, can take time off at various times. When I do work it's often averaging 70 or more hrs weekly. I'm often paid based on my production or for the entire length of the project in installments NOT on/only on a salary or hourly based rate. I earn my time off. Also, I watch very little to no TV during long durations(haven't owned a TV for the past 6-7 yrs), and do little shopping choosing to lead a very simple frugal non consumer/materialism based lifestyle that frees up time, money, and other resources to do other things like independent self study and share. ALL THIS is by design.
    I wanted to be brave like you. I wanted to play along. However, I did not want to challenge his valid premise... or at least my assumption of what it is. Too many people play on their phones when they ought to be productive. It is a disease today. They even play on their phones when they ought to be driving. I chose to not state why I am able to post at all hours for fear of seeming to challenge something I agree with. I will simply say that I never rob my employer by stealing time to play on the phone. I strive to be an asset in all phases of my life. I do not believe I am failing. I am confident that those that provide an income for me would agree. Furthermore, as I stated earlier, I have been working since I was 9. There has never been a phase in my life that I was not employed since that age... and sometimes that meant 3 jobs at once. I am down to 40 hours a week now and I require very little sleep. However, I think I will go get a little now... after I purchase a few Christmas presents on eBay. Hopefully, that won't take until it is time to get up.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 09-24-2015 at 01:51.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Outstanding and impressive! Wish I could do the same, but it's 4:29a.m. and time to start the work day...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Which past attempts?

This record specifically-
    Ward- casually mentioned his record in an interview x? years after it happened. Never shared a trip report...
    Matt Kirk- no facebook, crappy camera phone- sent short video updates to a friend who delayed posting them on Matt's wiki site.
    Joey Camps- sporadic blogposts and facebook posts.

Scott Williamson- no updates, ever. (That I am aware of) Rare, and generally brief trip reports.

As a fella who is somewhat directly involved in cleaning up the fallout from Jurek's "full transparency" effort I'd think you'd appreciate a hike like Anish's.

While I can appreciate the argument that she has to involve her sponsors and any animosity towards that; I sure as hell would pay that price if it meant being able to hike full time. I admire those that find a way to do what they love.

It's really only the past 5 years or so that the technology (if you choose to adopt it) existed to make any meaningful updates possible.
    But look at someone like Karl Meltzer, who went full circus route and came to the realization it took something away from his hike and said never again.

It is certainly in my memory and hiking life that I recall developing film weeks later and once every week or two payphone calls...
    Or even before the internet when a blurb in a magazine, a book, or slideshow tour was how we learned of big adventures.

I'm not sure where the outdoors community as a whole has lost that perspective. Even if we have to artificially re-create it by limiting our electronic connection, isn't that one reason most of us go? Even if it's an illusion, there is still something powerful to me about simply being "out there".

Even an FKT- your only burden is to prove you did it. Pictures and an eventual spot track is plenty of technology for me.
    Hell, I'd rather wait for a trip report, magazine article, or book.

In the hangover of the Jurek hike, I think we should encourage more hikes like this; if nothing else because the lower profile is respectful of those who think the whole concept is disrespectful to the trail as a whole.

Succinct as I can.
    I've mentioned in the past that it is entirely possible that even Ward's record was not actually a "record" since records were not as big of a deal then and that it is entirely possible(although unlikely) that someone else was faster, just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I've mentioned in the past that it is entirely possible that even Ward's record was not actually a "record" since records were not as big of a deal then and that it is entirely possible(although unlikely) that someone else was faster, just sayin'.
    Yar, but it really doesn't matter. There are enough respectable folks out there, including Lone Wolf, who have backed up the validity of Ward's claim to call it a fact.
    Regardless of the details, Ward has the first one. As well as a host of other admirable accomplishments on the trail. It'd be nice to hear his story one day...

Just because better standards, reporting and guidelines emerged to form a modern FKT takes nothing away from Ward.
    There are always rumors of stealth or secret records, but if someone chooses not to claim them...

Just posted to Facebook.

The trail has a way of answering the questions you most need answered, even if you are afraid to ask.
    Those that have followed me for a while know that I have struggled with self-esteem my entire life. You would think setting the PCT speed record would change that.
    Yet it only gave the negative thoughts an even more insidious way to demoralize me, especially after I failed to set the JMT record last year.
    "The PCT was a fluke. You were only the benefactor of lucky circumstances. You aren't athletic. You aren't able. You're a charlatan."
    On and on the whispers go.
    I had to come here, to the AT, where my quest to find myself began 12 years ago and face those voices once and for all, alone.
    I was to afraid to ask, but the trail knew the question in my heart:
    "Was the PCT a fluke?"
    The AT answered with a resounding, "NO!"
    I wrestled not against the trail or external forces, but with them. If it were easy the whispers of inadequacy would continue. Instead I was challenged every single minute.
    In the dark hours when I was tired, lonely, and hungry, that is when the demons came, "Why didn't you stop with the PCT record? It will be your greatest achievement in life. You won't ever do anything else. Now you're out here and you're in over your head. You will fail. You can't do this. And everyone is going to know that you are nothing."
    But, every footstep I took was a choice. A choice to face my own perceived inadequacies. Every footstep was a commitment. A commitment to deny that there was any truth to the words of the internal foes.
    As the miles dwindled into the double digits I became aware that I was crushing more than miles. I was crushing a lifetime of self defeating beliefs.
    So now, I walk off of Springer Mountain, alone just as I came. My pack, my feet, and my heart are light, unburdened at last.
    And, I am aware that the end of every journey is simply the beginning of the next and that, far from being behind me, the greatest achievements of my life lie ahead.

New Appalachian Trail self-supported speed record: 54:7:48
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Awesome! Congrats, Anish!

Congratulations to Anish!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

So who plans to misuse this information around their spouse? "But look dear, I can go thru hike next year and be back by the end of spring, see it takes less than two months."

Oh yeah and CONGRATULATIONS ANISH!!!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Cool beans! When does the book come out?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Congratulations! Way to go. A new bar has been set with class.

Wow, very impressive. Congratulations

WoW!! A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Anish!!

​HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!
    u.w.

Journal Entries

My best to the Remarkable Lady /You did it & bested the record by 4 days. YEAH WAY TO GO Anish!!!

Images

Wow, this lady has a way with words.

Congratulations Anish, well done. I am glad that it appears she finished her hike the way she wanted, just her and the trail.

Amazing! What an accomplishment! Doing it all self supported in such a short time is remarkable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Amazing! What an accomplishment! Doing it all self supported in such a short time is remarkable.
    Agree completely!

Nice job Anish! Looks like she averaged about 40mpd and knocked off a few days. I still think 42-43mpd is within the realm of possibility going SOBO. Not by me of course!

Ryan

Images

54:7:48
    Nice Job Anish!

"One of the greatest lessons I learned out there was acceptance; because the kaleidoscope of human emotions doesn't cease just because you're in the woods. I had to learn to accept(deal with) fear, pain, and loneliness, and happiness, and joy, and bugs , and cold, beauty, and heat , and frustration, and anything else that came my way. And, it was in the process of acceptance that the negatives lost their power over me, and the positives became my motivators."

"This is what I want to share with you. That, the success here is about the lessons learned along the journey."...I had achieved my goal of hiking the trail faster than anyone else ever had. But the real success were those lessons...the acceptance, the mindfulness, the learning to be present in the moment. And, I can guarantee you that it is not easy nor painless to take control of your own destiny. But, having the courage to write your own fairytale each and every day is what defines success to me. And, that is what I find makes life worth living."

That says so much more about Heather than the AT unsupported FKT.

Congrats to Heather for having the courage to find and LIVE a LIFE exceptionally extraordinary.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++