Default Any younger Mom's out there

Hi there. I'm 37 and a mother to 3 beautiful children. Do any other Mom's out there go on extended backpacking trips without their little ones? I'm looking to connect with other hiking Moms out there. I'm planning a 2017 thru hike of the CT. I've always dreamed of thru hiking the AT, but there is no way I can leave my babies for 5 to 6 months.

I am a bit older (42) and am a hiker. I have always dreamed of thru hiking also but I don't foresee it ever happening....maybe section hiking someday.

Good luck with your search. I wish we lived a little closer we could meet on a trail somewhere.

naturalred.wordpress.com

Hi there, I am new on this forum, but I am also 37 and I have a 6 year old. So far I have only taken 2-3 day trips and I know it makes my kidlet sad that I go to places with no cell service so I cannot call her at night, but I hope I am being a good role model. I do plan on being out for a week in October so we will see how that goes. If all the stars align I would like to take 3 weeks next year to do the JMT. I definitely could never be away from her for 5-6 months.

I couldn't leave them for 5-6 months either! That's why I picked the Colorado trail. Plus I have family and friends in that area to support me. My daughter who is now 9, will be 11 when I do this hike says she wants to thru hike the AT with me when she graduates from highschool. I hope I can inspire them to chase their dreams.

Images

My Mom took me and 2 sisters with her when I was 11, we hiked all of PA on the AT back in 1969. I still love to hike today because she did!

I look forward to taking them on long distance hikes when they get older. I'm planning on getting the older 2 packs for Christmas so we can do weekend backpacking trips

Hello, I stumbled upon this post because I was looking for a lady that is headed into the Whites with two five year olds and an eleven year old. She is thru hiking the AT with them. She is a golden person to me. Her name is Mamma Bear { http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/bo....html?mode=jqm }, I wish you could connect with her as I think she would be the best to give you the confidence you need. We have a hostel in Lancaster NH and I was hoping to catch her before she does the White. We wanted to help he in what ever way we can.

I had the opportunity to hike up Mount Washington with my family and wonderful wife. She is no less than amazing. We have four little children, two boys and two girls. The two boys are 12 and 10, and the two girls are 6 and 4. I have to tell you that it was so amazing to hike with the little ones. We went up a trail called Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail { http://www.summitpost.org/ammonoosuc...e-trail/156270 } and it is know to be one of the harder trails to do. Regardless of that my six year old daughter was blazing the way and was ahead of the fourteen year old that came with us. Our little one did so well that she did not want to be carried at all.
    image.jpg

My suggestion to you is that you should take them and look over this site for wisdom. http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=kids If you have three beautiful children now you will only find that they will become more beautiful after they go on a extended hike. Children are amazing when it comes to hiking. They will learn that you as a mother have put much more into them about responsibility they they realize.

Other pointers is bring a small rope, one that wont way you down. Some terrain that they go through the rope will help them have that extra assurance that you are right there.

Let me know what else we can do to help. I may have my wife post some of her thoughts also. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Jacob Melnick
    Gingerbread Man

I'm 39, but not exactly a "young" mom. My baby is 18 now. So I'm really working on taking longer solo trips now. I guess that one perk of having a baby when you're really young. I have taken my son with me a couple times. I didn't get the backpacking bug until my son was in boyscouts. I started going on boyscout trips and loved it. Now that my son is older, I'm able to venture out more on my own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hi! I'm 30, and I hike about 3 days a month. I've been successively section hiking since April. I'm on the trail in NC at the moment. I have 2 very young little ones (2 and 3) and until I can take them out I've been hiking it with co-workers and family. It's great to get out for yourself a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely do a thru hike with them when they are a little older. The youngest is 3. I'm doing a thru hike of the Colorado Trail soon

I am 29 with a 2 year old planning my AT thru hike at the moment. I could never leave him for that duration at his age, but by the time I'm able to begin he will be 6 or 7. I plan to bring my phone with me so I can FaceTime with him and my husband often. They will also fly out for a weekend or two while I'm working my way north, and will summit Katahdin with me when that time comes.

++ New Posts ++