WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hike Planning: Springer to Damascas versus Harpers Ferry to Damascas (Spring 2016)

Fellow hikers: I am planning a section hike in 2016 and (probably this is not a novel idea) I thought it would be fun to time my hike to end in Damascas for Trail Days 2016. I basically have April and May as my timeframe to play with due to my work schedule. My options are to start at the southern terminus and hike northbound (about 35 days plus zero days) or to start at Harpers Ferry and hike southbound (about 41 hiking days.) From Tampa my logistics into Atlanta, Baltimore, and Tri-cities airports are all about the same (cost, logistics, etc.) I was hoping some more experienced folks could help me with some of the factors to compare the two routes. For example, Starting NOBO from Springer in the first week of April could be crowded at camp sites, partying (good and bad.) I don't know the hiking difficulty differences between Virginia southbound or Georgia/TN/NC northbound. Here are the things I'd appreciate your input on: Hiking terrain difficulty, weather (big difference in snow, ice, rain?,) mosquitoes, traffic from other hikers, any other factors to consider? In upcoming years I will have the flexibility to travel in summer or fall. Is one of these sections better to do during different months? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

NOBO will involve somewhat tougher terrain, but two months is plenty of time. Likely won't see any snow (but could happen especially in the SMokies and the ROan. If you do go NOBO push a few days past Damascus so you can enjoy Grayson Highlands, its the best part of the trail south of NH IMO. FLipside SOBO from HF will be a little less crowded at least at first, but you will still be crossing the herd sooner or later. Should not be all that buggy that early in the season. If it was me I would do Springer North if only to save VA for the fall, I really like VA in the fall. Have fun, and good luck.

Images

Southbound from HF will be tougher, I think. You're looking at six weeks to hike 500+ miles, so a late March start, right? It'll be winter still, no matter which way you go, so be prepared for cold nights and some occasional bad weather. I don't think anything will be open in Shenandoah yet, and there won't be many trail services open in northern VA when you start. It will be a lot less crowded for the first month.

Starting at Springer will be more crowded, but logistically easier. Resupply right on the trail after 4 days, then easy hitches into town as you walk with the other northbounders. All the hostels will be open (easy showers and overnights when desired).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hike north from Springer.

That'll probably be one of the best experiences of your life. You'll meet many exceptional people who are going through all the challenges you too will be going through. Beautiful countryside, wonderful experience, terrific people.

Then if you decide to later continue northword from Damascus in a later ear you can start at Trail Days and head north to Katahdin with a new group of exceptional people.

Datto

Datto

++ New Posts ++