Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pee Rag?!

Journal Entries

I'm just tickled to death that there is finally an option for girls to pee standing up!!!! Yay!!! I may get one just to use at my son's football practice to avoid the heinous portapotty.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I would say rinse the pee rag regularly. I never used a p-style but learned to pee standing up with pack on without one. I basically got tired of taking off my pack. I drank a lot of water and peed a lot. Maple leaves are good too for same purpose as pee rag, as long as you know your leaf id. I come from serious leave no trace education, so I never leave anything behind - pack out any and all tp (unless putting in privy.)
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

I am male, but just want to pass along my daughters approach.

She got a pee funnel as a gag gift from one of her brothers. But she gave it a try but was less than impressed. As she still needed to pull down her underwear and pants, exposing herself to wind and other peoples sight. So although she liked the idea of not squatting, she thought it was inferior to her method of squatting while wearing a ponch which offered complete modesty.

She did like it for portapottis and outhouses where touching gross surfaces not modesty was the issue.

Then one of her brothers suggested she needed a fly and on a lark, she tried using it while wearing boys underwear and putting the end thru the fly.

That works great for her. She can pee standing and even if you are standing in front of her all you will see is her underwear, but none of her privates. Also it means that there is no wind or snow ever blowing up her butt.

It use to be in the winter when were out she would drink as little as possible to avoid the cold of dropping her pants, now she drinks as much as possible, because her new favorite winter activity is writing her name in the snow.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

A male here, but......

My wife and I just completed a 28 mile section hike this weekend and it was her first hike with her pstyle. She is sold on her pstyle and will never carry a pee rag again!

Pstyle. Never go back to squatting again....ever

Images

I use a pee rag - never had a problem with odor, I rinse it in any or every stream I pass, if it's raining, and it's wet - then you are just washing yourself - better hygiene. If you are pre-menopausal, use a red bandana - it won't show blood.

If rinsing in a stream, get it wet, then scrub and wring it out over dirt - not back into the water.

I thought this was a female only forum, I do not want to discuss these very personal things with men if that is okay please?
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Journal Entries

I have had no issues with a pee bandana. Rinse and wring like poster number 26 said.

I hike in a skirt over compression pants. Pull down pants under skirt and modesty is solved. No need to remove pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Sorry just realized some of you said you remove pack to save your knees. I'm pretty young and haven't had an issue but I could see that getting tiring eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was wondering how it works in tents? Obviously I would need a bottle to send the urine to, one that has a sealing lid, but wonder has anyone tried it? I hate climbing out of the tent in the middle of the night, especially in serious rainstorms.

I'm not comfortable with rinsing a pee rag in streams (for the sake of others, not myself). I'm interested in why people think this is an acceptable practice. I'm not challenging, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Was wondering how it works in tents? Obviously I would need a bottle to send the urine to, one that has a sealing lid, but wonder has anyone tried it? I hate climbing out of the tent in the middle of the night, especially in serious rainstorms.
    My daughter has used her funnel to pee into a bottle in our tent during rainstorms. She has also used it in the back seat of the minivan during a traffic jam. Her attempt to use it while in a canoe was unsuccessful, however.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Just carried the thing 70 miles and used it twice. Way too much trouble to dig it out, unzip and carefully get clothing out of the way, and pee carefully so that it doesn't overflow and get my fingers wet. And after all that, I can't get my bladder completely empty standing up. So much easier just to squat. A waste of $12.99. If I thought anyone would actually want a used one, I'd give it away.
    "Are we there yet?"

Oh hell, i never realized anyone did that.....I am with you, no rinsing one for me in the stream. Trying to get the image of how many streams I drank out of out of my head....

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I'm not comfortable with rinsing a pee rag in streams (for the sake of others, not myself). I'm interested in why people think this is an acceptable practice. I'm not challenging, just curious.

Think I might try the tent thing this week in the living room. Thanks for the feedback, i am impressed she tried the canoe!

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    My daughter has used her funnel to pee into a bottle in our tent during rainstorms. She has also used it in the back seat of the minivan during a traffic jam. Her attempt to use it while in a canoe was unsuccessful, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Think I might try the tent thing this week in the living room. Thanks for the feedback, i am impressed she tried the canoe!
    I wasn't. But hey she is a kid and for her it was a new toy. Method my son used, jump into lake pee while swimming. My daughter on the other hand, 5 mins after getting in canoe from a swim, decides to pee in bottle under a poncho, getting very little in the bottle but poluting the puddle in the canoe and then jumping back in the lake to rinse off all the pee she got onto her bathing suit bottom.

Images

To pee in a tent at night - use a ziplock bag, set it outside the door - or just dump it outside the door.

As for rinsing a pee rag in a stream - you tramp through the stream in dirty boots - have you never rinsed your shirt in a stream? rinsed another bandana (not pee rag?) where is the difference? I don't wash it out in the stream, I don't use soap in the spring, I don't wash dishes in the creek - I get things wet and wash/ wring over dry land.

Well I usually try not to stomp in the stream, as when I do I fall everytime, broke my foot once, not fun. Nope never rinsed anything in a sream, i have a collapsible container that weighs nothing, i fill it up everytime for any kind of washing and rinsing. Assumed others did too.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    To pee in a tent at night - use a ziplock bag, set it outside the door - or just dump it outside the door.

As for rinsing a pee rag in a stream - you tramp through the stream in dirty boots - have you never rinsed your shirt in a stream? rinsed another bandana (not pee rag?) where is the difference? I don't wash it out in the stream, I don't use soap in the spring, I don't wash dishes in the creek - I get things wet and wash/ wring over dry land.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post

Because of the possibility of fecal matter on the pee rag. Maybe I'm too sensitive about it because I've seen and smelled some very unpleasant things in my profession as an OB/GYN nurse. That's why I asked your rationale. I know you're an NP and thought you might give me some research-based evidence that would change my mind. Thank you for your response. (I LOVE my Lightheart tent).

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I am male, but just want to pass along my daughters approach.

She got a pee funnel as a gag gift from one of her brothers. But she gave it a try but was less than impressed. As she still needed to pull down her underwear and pants, exposing herself to wind and other peoples sight. So although she liked the idea of not squatting, she thought it was inferior to her method of squatting while wearing a ponch which offered complete modesty.

She did like it for portapottis and outhouses where touching gross surfaces not modesty was the issue.

Then one of her brothers suggested she needed a fly and on a lark, she tried using it while wearing boys underwear and putting the end thru the fly.

That works great for her. She can pee standing and even if you are standing in front of her all you will see is her underwear, but none of her privates. Also it means that there is no wind or snow ever blowing up her butt.

It use to be in the winter when were out she would drink as little as possible to avoid the cold of dropping her pants, now she drinks as much as possible, because her new favorite winter activity is writing her name in the snow.

That's exactly the reason I put a zipper in the crotch of my hiking pants. . .nor where a men's fly would be, but lower down. I can unzip it and use my style with ease, keeping my behind covered.

I have walked hundreds of miles with my "crotch zipper" and done three section hikes and never once had the slightest irritation from the zipper. I did use an invisible zipper because the zipper teeth are smaller and smoother, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++