WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

So a girl in her late 20s has already demonstrated the will to complete college, seminary and ordination. She is used to tackling big challenges and seeing them through to completion. I believe she can do it and as her uncle, I hope you will catch some of her determination and
    believe she can do this.

She isn't planning on thru-hiking 2016, she has said that in a few years, she wants to take a sabbatical and do this. She already has the soft skills and determination to get this done. If you want to help her, don't try to make it hard on her, start introducing her to the technical details of sleep, shelter and cooking.

Be the good uncle. Don't rock the apple cart, show her the apple cart that people who love the outdoors use.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    If possible, here's the script: "That's wonderful. I'd love to do some preliminary hikes with you. I'll see to rounding up gear and help you pick up the personal things like clothes. How about this fall to start? Maybe a long weekend at (insert a place near where she lives)"

Then follow through.
    I agree here. You have thru hiked so you obviously know what is needed to prepare. Start offering what you can, unless you do not want her to thru-hike for some reason. Not sure what the question is?

Images

My 2 cents….. rather than trying to "break her romantic dream" of hiking the trail, you should encourage her to go on some 2 or 3 day hiking trips. Maybe even offer to hike with her. Since you are an experienced thru-hiker you can show her the ropes and offer advice what gear to get (and not to get). These trips will help her know what the reality of hiking and living in the woods is like. She will either fall in love with it or decide that its not for her. Either way, it comes with encouragement from you, rather than discouragement. Encouragement and positive support is always the best way!

"Shouldn't one do some backpacking before attempting a six month thru hike"

Yes, and one should loose weight and get into shape before attempting the toughest physical experience of their life.

Physical condition is big part, determination is bigger. If she can focus on completing a goal, then it is only a couple of mountains through the woods.

Inspire, do not discouraged.

It's Not easy, but it's worth the trek.
    Life's for those who live it.

The Wokman.

thanks everyone. I personally am a big believer in hiking smart over hiking strong.. in other words the mental challenge is harder than the physical for the physical can be overcome. One question I think I should and will ask her is.. if it rains hard for three days straight... do you have the determination to get through that and appreciate the bounty of sunshine and beauty that comes after? From my experience nothing can ruin a hike like lots and lots of rain! It will certainly be an interesting discussion.. one that we will likely have a week from this Sat on 8/22.

At this point I'm still a weekend warrior, but I've seen poor fitness derail even weekend backpacker's plans. It takes the wind out of your sails. As a rule people generally don't pursue things that suck for them, unless there is some big net gain. Like grad school, professional school, etc.

So I absolutely agree with the others that at least a moderate level of fitness is necessary so the first weeks of her hike don't completely suck. "Maintain a steady strain". You don't go from the couch to pounding your feet, ankles, knees, and back every day without getting a potentially hike-ending overuse injury.

Other than that, get her out for a weekend. Tell her the good, the bad, and the ugly of a long hike, don't sugar coat it. It's an easy thing to romanticize.

Quote Originally Posted by AtWokman View Post
    Physical condition is big part, determination is bigger. If she can focus on completing a goal, then it is only a couple of mountains through the woods.

Inspire, do not discouraged.

It's Not easy, but it's worth the trek.
    Life's for those who live it.

The Wokman.
    Yes to this. On my section hike last summer I met a couple who were hiking from Springer north until they ran out of time. The wife had said she has lost a lot of weight. Don't recall the exact amount but I saw her FB pics from Springer and compared to what I saw in central VA it was substantial. They made it to PA before they got off. With a spouse and a dog she had good support and they were hiking on their own terms. All the hikers I have met were very supportive.

well I had the sit down with my neice (and she treated me to lunch at Friendly's :-). She's still determined to attempt a thru hike. She's shooting for 2017 and taking six months out of her life to do the trip. She is in better shape now and is at least getting some exercise with regularity --not an athlete but at last visiting gym and doing some jogging. She says she'll maybe get in a couple weekend backpacks in the next couple years.. but that is max.

she is a little concerned (and I would be too) about the potential publicity of the walk in the woods movie and the extra crowds that may bring. But she is at least in part going for the social aspect of the trip. I personally think it really helps to be a woman.. men outnumber them so much they ar almost guaranteed to find friends.. but I digress. She may well find someone.. who knows. she'll have to buy all the gear (I mean she has NO backpacking gear at ALL). She'll have to save up the cash for the trip. At least she is doing some proper planning. I asked her why she wants to do this. Answer: the big challenge, the social aspect. I don't get the impression that she really wants or is even ready for the extreme solitude she will face at times. Not much point in discouraging her.. she is set on doing this and has been reading books about the AT since she was 10.. if not earlier. So there we have it.

I realize she has no gear yet but why only a couple of trips before the thru hike? Is she that busy that work will not allow or is she not interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has a part time job at a small church (assistant minister as she is a recently ordained episcopal priest) and now also has part time admin job.
    Plus it's just kind of her personality to be constantly busy. You know the stereotype of the very talkative and fast talking women who barely lets one get a word in edge wise? She fits that to a T. Drives me batty.. but I am her uncle so I am kind to her always.

Images

This is low probability adventure, inexperienced and out of shape. Many have dreams, few but the effort in to make them happen. Sorry to be harsh and/or blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    she oughta shoot for a CDT thru walk. much less crowded. real navigating. the AT these days is so cliche'.
    Oh, not for a newbie.
    600 miles of desert to start.
    Then switch to 80% snowcover where ice ax and self arrest techniques are necessary.
    Not to mention the navigation problems.
    Couple all of that with carrying a lot of water, and longer distances between food supplies...............
    Nah, bad idea.
    Start out on the CO trail if looking for alternatives.
    Much less problems to contend with for a newbie.

But, my thought here is: First ask her how she likes ****ting in the woods and going without a shower for a week at a time.
    Most people who start the AT are newbies.
    Some make it, most don't.
    I don't know that it comes down to whether they've hiked a few weekend trips or not.
    More like the passion someone's mentioned and how much they like living in the outdoors.
    If she's overweight, she should probably have a little time on steps or step machine or walking up and down some mountains beforehand.
    Injuries can stop overweight people easier than fit people. IMO.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    She says she'll maybe get in a couple weekend backpacks in the next couple years.. but that is max.
    I find that troubling...if typical of many AT romanticists.

How does she know if she'll even enjoy backpacking?

We can talking about the mental attitude, the conditioning, the right gear and proper planning..but if someone does not know if they'll actually enjoy the activity they plan on doing for 5-6 months..well, kinda of a head scratcher.

Most "professional" Americans get at least two weeks vacation (10 PTO days typically). (Your niece, working part time may even have more flexibility)

Spend 5 days of that. Leave on a Friday evening after work, take the PTO a week before a three day weekend, and you can spend Saturday through the Sunday next backpacking or NINE days. Use Monday to get home. (It is what I am doing next week. )

Nine days is enough time to dial in a gear a little bit, do a resupply, possibly be out in the rain and/or cold weather, and see if someone actually enjoys backpacking.

Set a modest, but realistic goal, of 80-90 miles and see if walking all day is for them.

If I was to dedicate so much of my time, energy and money on a goal..I'd want to make darn sure I'd actually enjoy what the goal is about. No matter how busy I am..... A week or so backpacking vs this big of an investment of resources is nothing.
    Last edited by Mags; 08-24-2015 at 00:09.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I am assuming that Lone Wolf was being tongue and cheek in suggesting a CTD thru hike. That ain't gonna happen.. no way no now. It takes a very special type of person to be that far out in the wilds for that long. My niece isn't that type of person, nor are most people. Even the PCT I think is out of her league and I am not even sure about the AT. All I know for sure is she has read about it for decades and been thinking about it for ever. She likes the social aspect but not sure about the solitude. There are hours and hours and days and days of alone time. There were for me. Isn't that inevitable for everyone?

David, are you sure it's her dream and not yours?

There were a few times when my nephew made noises about a thru-hike. I tried to goad him on but he chose to get married and start a family instead.

if it's her dream and not yours tell her to do some weekend hikes to get her pack weight down.
    but it sounds to me that you are trying to live your dream through her.

no it's her dream not mine. I have already thru hiked the Appalachian Trail (and The Long Trail, and the Northville Placid Trailand hiked the 67 4000 footers in New England). i have not egged her on at all. I will say that it has been a dream/thought of her Dad over many years though he is a runner but definitely not a hiker and is busy working etc. i have suggested some shake down hikes but not sure that has sunken in yet. I plan to mail her my copy of the DVD TREK which I think gives a pretty good indication of what hiking the trail is like.

Met a WB'er last fall up at Lincoln Woods in NH. We climbed Mt. Flume via Osseo Trail together. He was determined to start a thru-hike in the spring (that would have been spring this year.) Weird thing is, while he was a very fit young man, he had almost no backpacking experience at all. I haven't stayed in touch. I wonder if he started, or finished.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

As others have said she just needs to get out on some hikes whether it's just an over night or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    One question I think I should and will ask her is.. if it rains hard for three days straight... do you have the determination to get through that and appreciate the bounty of sunshine and beauty that comes after? From my experience nothing can ruin a hike like lots and lots of rain!
    The only way to see how you will react in this situation is to hike in it...once she gets out on a couple of hikes (in presumably nice weather) tell her to purposely go out when the weather sucks. In my personal experience several days of rain is physically not a big deal, but psychologically difficult to deal with. Some people like that kind of stuff...I don't care for it myself...been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++