WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Mahoosucs section conditions

Next week I am planning on doing the Mahoosuc section from Gorham to Grafton Notch. This will be my first time doing any of the AT in NH/ME. I usually hike 17-20mi days and know this is one of the hardest sections so figure 3 days should be sufficient for these 31 miles (though I'm flexible if it's it necessary to take longer). Any tips for this section? I'm guessing this is one of the best times of year for the section so hopefully weather/mud/water/bugs shouldn't be a major issue but any updates on the recent conditions that may require additional prep than usual?

Journal Entries

Haven't been there yet, but it's coming up in a year or two. From what others have said, we're budgeting 6 days for those same 31 miles - going from one lean-to to the next. Please come back and post how it went for you. We may adjust our plans.

4 days is advisable for many.

Day 1) Gorham to stealth at Dream Lake
    Day 2) Dream Lake to Carlo Col campsite
    Day 3) Carlo Col to stealth after Mahoosuc Notch
    Day 4) Mahoosuc Notch to Grafton Notch

Just my opinion. I did it that way in reverse. Be advised, if you do it in 3 days, the water at the shelter before the Mahoosuc Notch is the worst of the walk. Water at the 3 stops I described is good.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Great time of the year to hike it but expect company as its thru hiker season. Bird Brains itinerary is typical. Dream Lake gets a lot of use but far more head over to Gentian Pond. (Water in Gentian Pond is nasty, get water at the designated stream in the inlet). Its worth stopping at Gentian Pond Shelter as its one of those sites that folks dream of for a shelter location . Full Goose Shelter water is very iffy but afternoon thundershowers usually keep it running. There are multiple camping spots just after you leave the notch after the trail diverges away from the brook, once the trail goes level and uphill, it starts the climb up Mahoosuc Arm and there really aren't any good spots to camp on prior to Speck Pond unless you dry camp.

Images

I did that section August before last. Was happy to average 6 miles a day. Usually hiked 15 miles a day on other parts of the AT farther south.

Of course, I'm not 26. LOL
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Three days?

RT 2 to JGentian pond. A top 10 shelter for a view. 11.8 fairly difficult miles

Gentian to Full Goose shelter. 10.4 pretty hard miles. Bunch of 1 mph sections here.

Full Goose to Grafton Notch. 9.7 miles of totally insane, curse out loud miles. Up on over Old Speck at the end of the day is painful.

This is only possible if you have NO rain. Rain makes the trail treacherous which slows you way down. Mud should be moderate, with only a few bad spots. The top of south arm is typically a bad spot. If you do get caught in an all day soaker or an afternoon thunderstorm, or scattered showers, conditions can change quickly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I did that section August before last. Was happy to average 6 miles a day. Usually hiked 15 miles a day on other parts of the AT farther south.

Of course, I'm not 26. LOL
    Yeah I tend to hike pretty quick. I'm sure there's a ton of enjoyment in doing 6 miles/day in this section but especially when I'm hiking alone as I will be this time, I tend to keep myself moving pretty consistently and cover a good amount of ground. 10 miles a day already sounds low to me but I've come to understand that it will probably be reasonable for this section. Kinda looking forward to covering less ground/day

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Three days?

RT 2 to JGentian pond. A top 10 shelter for a view. 11.8 fairly difficult miles

Gentian to Full Goose shelter. 10.4 pretty hard miles. Bunch of 1 mph sections here.

Full Goose to Grafton Notch. 9.7 miles of totally insane, curse out loud miles. Up on over Old Speck at the end of the day is painful.

This is only possible if you have NO rain. Rain makes the trail treacherous which slows you way down. Mud should be moderate, with only a few bad spots. The top of south arm is typically a bad spot. If you do get caught in an all day soaker or an afternoon thunderstorm, or scattered showers, conditions can change quickly.
    This is about the daily breakup that I was expecting to do. Agreed that I figure poor weather will definitely slow it down much more than sections I'm used to and probably extend it a day. I have more time flexibility than usual for this hike so I'm excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramapo View Post
    This is about the daily breakup that I was expecting to do. Agreed that I figure poor weather will definitely slow it down much more than sections I'm used to and probably extend it a day. I have more time flexibility than usual for this hike so I'm excited about that.
    The 30 miles from RT 2 to Grafton notch is about the most difficult stretch on the AT. It is not to be underestimated. It is fun though because it is so challenging. My knees hurt just thinking about the couple of times I've stumbled through that section...

I just got back from the Mahoosucs. There was a big rainstorm when we descended from Mahoosuc Arm - very slippery and slow going. The notch was slow on account of the wet rocks. Most of the rest of the Mahoosucs have mini sections that resemble the arm - relatively steep exposed rock slabs that you have to pick around. In dry weather, not so bad - in wet weather more difficult.

I'd plan on 4 days in case of rain. For reference, I was doing 15-16 mile days with my son in North Carolina during his thru hike (just finished), but did about 7.5 here. Even the NOBO's were slowed down in the rain. I suspect a healthy NOBO in dry weather could do 15 mile days, but that's kind of the limit.

Images

I did 8-10 mile days through that section on my thru-hike. It's an obstacle course/puzzle. You hike a little bit, then you stand there and try to figure out how to get up/down/around what is next.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    I did 8-10 mile days through that section on my thru-hike. It's an obstacle course/puzzle. You hike a little bit, then you stand there and try to figure out how to get up/down/around what is next.
    This makes me really excited for the hike. Based off the forecasts for Gorham and Newry, the low temperatures appear to be around 60ish. Can I expect it to be much colder in the mountains or probably nothing to have to worry about extra clothing?

The Mahoosuc Notch is always a little cooler. The way the mountains are situated, it does not get as much sunlight as the surrounding area. Mahoosuc Mountain shields much of it in the afternoon. It gets dark early there. Even so, with the current weather pattern I would expect little problem hiking through with your normal clothing. The Notch is a workout. That will keep you warm.

Given that the Arm and the Notch are the biggest obstacles, I advocate doing that area SoBo. It is nice to go down the Arm in the afternoon when the sun is beating on it. It is easier to predict what those conditions will be when it is the first day of the trip.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-17-2015 at 21:43.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Bumping this because I am certain there are more qualified opinions than mine out there. I can't be the only voice. The Mahoosucs are memorable. Certainly someone else has some input as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Bumping this because I am certain there are more qualified opinions than mine out there. I can't be the only voice. The Mahoosucs are memorable. Certainly someone else has some input as well.
    ill actually agree with you about something without reservation for once- do it sobo.

i would say 3 days. going sobo once you're out of carlo col it gets much easier. not EASY but the super hard stuff that creates the reputation it has is mostly on the maine half.

and yes, weather here will really turn it into a nightmare. i made that mistake. i would say if theres any serious chance of rain do not find yourself between old speck and carlo col in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    ill actually agree with you about something without reservation for once- do it sobo.

i would say 3 days. going sobo once you're out of carlo col it gets much easier. not EASY but the super hard stuff that creates the reputation it has is mostly on the maine half.

and yes, weather here will really turn it into a nightmare. i made that mistake. i would say if theres any serious chance of rain do not find yourself between old speck and carlo col in it.
    As I started to read this, I thought you were going to say that you agreed that there were more qualified opinions. Can we agree about that too. Anyways guys... help the OP out. Let's have more input. The Mahoosucs are the best. This discussion should be 10 pages long at least.

It has been hazy hot and humid for the last week in the area and is expected to be so right through the weekend. It didn't drop much below 65 degrees last night at my house in Gorham which is at 1400 feet. The only cold spot is Mahoosuc notch. I normally throw on a long sleeve polypro and light liner gloves as it can be cold in there but it rapidly warms up on either end. In weather like this, there is usually a fog bank at the entrance and exit of the notch. I would carry a very light sleeping bag 40 F plus Recent weather patterns in the last ten years or so favor afternoon thunderstorm development over the Mahoosucs to a greeter extent than even Mt Washington. Don't know why but that ridge line over to Andover seems to get hammered every time there is a dark cloud in the area. Just keep an eye out and be aware of exposed terrain if you see something heading in. If you decide you aren't in a rush, the short trip to the crashed DC3 on Success is a short diversion. Always a bit sobering how they missed the top of the ridge by so little.

By the way, worth stopping by Sunday River Brewing in Bethel on the way back and the Barbeque Shack down the road is worth a stop.

Given the weather, I have scheduled a day hike to Mahoosuc Notch's nearby "little brother", Ice Gulch in Randolph NH this weekend. I use that as a qualification trip for folks who want me to take them for a day hike through the Notch, if the like the Gulch, they like the notch, if they don't like the gulch I don't waste my time taking them through the Notch. Its a bit more open than the notch but we usually find some ice.

Another spot not to be missed (missed by many) is the actual peak of Old Speck. It is a 0.3 mile blue blaze. If you climb the tower there and have good weather, you will have this view. The Notch is the caved in spot in the near left. The Goose Eyes are just behind it. To the immediate right is Mahoosuc Mountain. In the distance to the left is the Carter Moriah Range. In the center in the distance is Mount Washington with the flanking Presidentials to the right and left.

~
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-18-2015 at 12:25.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Another spot not to be missed (missed by many) is the actual peak of Old Speck. It is a 0.3 mile blue blaze. If you climb the tower there and have good weather, you will have this view. The Notch is the caved in spot in the near left. The Goose Eyes are just behind it. To the immediate right is Mahoosuc Mountain. In the distance to the left is the Carter Moriah Range. In the center in the distance is Mount Washington with the flanking Presidentials to the right and left.

~
    no i have to disagree with you ever so slightly- the view in that direction is just as good, if not better, from out on the top of the arm, round speck pond. if theres any worthy reason to go to and climb the firetower its the view the other direction towards grafton notch.

I don't think it matters much which way you go. SOBO you have a punishing climb up Old Spec right off the bat. It's kind of a toss up between going up or down the south arm. Either way is difficult. And I think I'd rather go up the rebrab ladders on Goose eye then down them.

Mahoosuc notch typically has ice under all those rocks pretty much year round. Not too sure of this year as it's been pretty hot. But it's always much cooler down in the notch. Icy Gulch here in Randolph always has ice under the boulders and is at least 10 degrees colder than outside of it. Its really refreshing on a hot and humid day like today. Icy Gulch is about a 1/2 mile of climbing over and around big rocks, but is nothing like Mahoosuc notch.

Don't know exactly when the OP plans to do this hike, but hope it's not Friday or Saturday as that is apparently when the thunderstorms hit us.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    no i have to disagree with you ever so slightly- the view in that direction is just as good, if not better, from out on the top of the arm, round speck pond. if theres any worthy reason to go to and climb the firetower its the view the other direction towards grafton notch.
    I have a bunch of those shots. It is all in the eye of the beholder. I took about 20 shots from the fire tower. The one I posted is my favorite. I do not recall any great views from the pond. The pond itself is beautiful. The view from the Goose Eyes are nice too.

~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++