WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana World's Lightest Toothbrush (Carbon Fiber!)

This full-sized toothbrush weighs at least one gram less than the lightest toothbrush I've ever seen (this one at ZPacks), and it cost me $0!

How, you ask?!

Simple! I made it myself from materials I already had around the house! And now, you can too!

[/infomercial-voice]

Alright everyone, here's how I made a carbon fiber toothbrush that weighs 6g:

Required Materials and Tools:

Instructions:

Any questions? Hope this helps you drop a few grams
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Apologies, meant to link this toothbrush at ZPacks in the OP. Brush and Handle together weighs 7g, according to their website.

[http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/toothbrush.shtml]
    - Thomas Jefferson

Mama warned me there'd be hikers like you...

Just kidding! That's certainly an interesting project. But more importantly, it got my wheels turning on some other ideas. I'm hoping to get my base weight down with reasonable methods and means for a 2016 hike, and after going through the instructions above I instantly started doing a mental inventory of my items and possible modifications. I don't think I'll modify my toothbrush beyond cutting the handle down, but there are some other things...

I wasn't exactly born with the neurotic suspicion of the average UL enthusiast, so I often lack the motivation or creativity to find weight savings. But now I'm thinking a little more along those lines. Thanks for sharing!

Images

A lot of work to save a few grams.Just do like many hikers and jettison all trash and unneeded gear,dirty or wet clothing at the nearest shelter or well used campsite. Some 70 year old trail volunteer will pack it out for you.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I have used Colgate Wisps. They are much lighter. However, they are pretty much useless after a few days and need to be replaced often. They also make the job difficult. Your suggestion is creative and has me thinking.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Definitely got me thinking of what one can do with Carbon Fiber arrows.

Reminds me of the time I was out on a long trip and snapped my regular store-bought toothbrush in half so I melted the head onto the handle---and it served me the rest of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by misprof View Post
    Definitely got me thinking of what one can do with Carbon Fiber arrows.
    Some might say it's a brush with death

Journal Entries

Seriously? My (wet) full size Oral B is 15 grams. I'd rather spend the time on a practice hike to build up my stamina to be able to carry that extra 9 grams than waste time doing this - even for laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    Apologies, meant to link this toothbrush at ZPacks in the OP. Brush and Handle together weighs 7g, according to their website.

[http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/toothbrush.shtml]
    You should be apologizing for putting this in the wrong forum, it belongs in this forum http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/119-Hiking-Humor

Mr. Liberty. Embrace the teasing. Some of us love to shave grams. When I went into the 100 Mile Wilderness, my pack weighed over 40lbs. When I got to Monson, I was a convert. It was too late in many respects. The best way to save weight is in the big 4. For many of us, we either did not prioritize enough on those items or we don't want to budget the money for the super lightweight big 4 items. That has us looking at everything else. Any honest hiker that has any concern for weight considers such things. Some of us sick people consider all things. As I have gone down this road, I have been teased. I have heard it all. "what are you going to do? Carry 2 more M&M's with that weight savings?" Fixing my big 4 would be a much quicker path. However, I am happy with being under 20lbs with all my tinkering. Besides the tinkering is fun. Now I am off to see if I can shave 2 grams off your suggestions.

Thank you Mr. Liberty. Allow me to share in the ridicule. I fully intend to always carry the lightest functional necessity I can afford. Any suggestion that saves me 1 gram is enough to capture my interest.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

1.8 grams but it doesn't have that homemade chic
    http://gossamergear.com/backpacking-toothbrush.html

bb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    1.8 grams but it doesn't have that homemade chic http://gossamergear.com/backpacking-toothbrush.htmlbb.jpg
    Well there goes all the fun. Do you have any experience with this brush? Does it hold up?

I stumbled across it online a couple of weeks ago. Haven't actually used it, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    1.8 grams but it doesn't have that homemade chic
    http://gossamergear.com/backpacking-toothbrush.html

bb.jpg
    That's only 4 inches long, that's cheating! :P
    - Thomas Jefferson

Screw it!! If ur a true gram weenie you could pull out ur teeth...not only save a few more oz and not need a tooth brush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

wonder how much the short version weighs and will it suffice cleaning teeth :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice optimization of weight. I like that you'r thinking up ways to get lighter without losing functionality.

I'll probably never imitate it because it's almost always easier to shave a quart of water and say 'So there we are.'

Makes me wonder if carbon fiber spoon is possible...I mean probable...err non-problematic.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++