WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleep set up for late Feb/early Mar, COLD sleeper

It looks like a likely start for me is late February or early March due to schedule. Currently I use a thin (1 cm?) CC foam pad with foil on one side, and a 15 F top quilt from Wilderness Logics. I get cold with this though around 40 F, even with many clothes on (including my down coat). Have taken it down to maybe 25 but was COLD. I do make sure I change to dry, wool clothes at end of day.

Any suggestions to help my setup? Would prefer not to shell out for new bag though open if I have to, I'd guess I can get something decent moneywise for my quilt. I am 5'8" and also a woman which I'm guessing is part of the reason I need to bundle up.

unfortunately, I don't know how to help your current setup but I will try. I sometimes sleep in a hammock. I have some top quilts but if it's really cold...I have to use a sleeping bag. A quilt just doesn't "hug" me enough to provide the insulation that the mummy bag will. I suspect that there are too many "lose pockets" of air. Kind of the theory that a coat that is way too big won't keep you warm because cold air gets trapped between the body and the coat. For insulation to work at full efficiency, there is a fine line between "too big or loose" and "too tight". of course, I am really not an expert.

I will say this...I used to think I was a cold sleeper until I finally spent some money and got a top quality bag (Marmot) for me. I wish I would have done it a long, long time ago. My 15* bag is actually comfortable to about 0*, whereas before, my large sporting goods store bags, if "rated" to 32* for instance, you could count of being cold at a number 10* higher or so. The high end companies tend to be conservative. If you have a WL quilt, that is a good piece of gear..but you may want to try a sleeping bag for the above reasons. hope this helps a little. Others may have better ideas.

Garlic
    Images

I love my 30F quilt in the summer, but I think I would struggle with a lower-rated quilt in colder weather, as 4shot says. So I would also look at a top-quality bag (Marmots are up there and often go on sale, and I loved my Helium 15 on the AT).

Also be sure the down is distributed correctly in your quilt. My quilt has baffles that let me shift down in all directions, to deal with cold feet or torso, for instance. The baffling is pretty loose and the down tends to gravitate to the lower edges during the night. I like the flexibility, but it takes a little fussing, sometimes even during the middle of the night.

The pad may be an issue especially if you plan on sleeping on plank shelter floors. One cheap, light, and flexible way to supplement your pad is use a piece of Reflectix duct insulation (available in 24" x 25' rolls at Home Depot, and a good deal if you can use the rest on home projects). I once bought a Ridgerest pad with mylar foil on one side and the foil didn't last a month of use, so I wouldn't put too much faith in that.

There are also good tips elsewhere on sleeping warm, including going to bed well hydrated and fed, and bring a hot water bottle with you.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Look's like you thru attempt will be cold and short.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Fortunately, you'll have a whole winter to practice with your colder-weather sleeping gear!

Your pad is nowhere near enough. At a minimum, I'd suggest a second blue CCF pad from Wally World. Stack your pads for more insulation from the ground. Some people like the CCF on the bottom, my personal experience is that I'm a little warmer with the CCF on top of my inflatable.

Consider down pants or at least down booties and a down beanie. Head and feet toasty goes a long way. Of course, buying this gear adds up and it might make more sense to just upgrade to a winter bag and keep the quilt for late spring through early fall.

Seriously, get as much experience as you can with your gear before hitting the trail. It's much better to find out your system won't be enough on your porch or in your backyard than after you're already out there.

Exped Downmat will likely solve all issues.

Images

IMHO, you will need a much better pad. you will doing winter camping and should target R-5 or higher. A pad such as a Neoair xtherm would do the job but it is also expensive as will any lightweight pad with high R value. you may be best off getting a second lightweight quilt and carrying both until it warms up a bit then switch off to a single quilt. If it were me I would also use a vapor barrier suit which is highly effective at pushing a three season sleep system into the winter but I would only use this if you thoroughly test it prior to your hike. (Some people love VP, others can't stand it.) want a very simple mini VBL, put grocery bags over thin liner socks with insulating sock over the bags. may make a huge difference in keeping your feet warm.

As Garlic indicated, technique is also critical. Eating a high fat meal before bed, sleeping with a warm water bottle, increasing insulation through the night vs. Bundling up when going to bed, site selection etc. Your comfort could greatly increase by learning and testing these techniques before your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Exped Downmat will likely solve all issues.

The Exped sleeping pads imo are the top of the line in terms of both insulation AND comfort, I carried an Exped synmat 7 on my thru hike (synthetic vs. down insulation of the down mat). It is a heavier pad relative to most that you see on the AT due ti its size and construction but sleeping comfort is one area that I will not compromise - sleeping well each night is far more important (to me) than a few extra ounces in my pack.

Images

I looked at the specs on your top quilt, 13 oz 900 fill. . My Western Mountaineering Alpinlite has 21 oz (overfill +2 oz) and is now rated to 15d. Your bag may be rated to 15d, but you might consider another.. . I am a very cold sleeper and used a. WM Kodiak 0d bag in early March in GA. . I use my Alpinlite thru April-May.

In Feb. you will be in your tent 12-14 hours a day trying to keep warm (longer if snowed in for a day or two)...money spent on quality pad/bag is money well spent
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

asking this question shows you've never used a modern sleeping pad. Go to REI. rent one...try it out...you'll never go back. You can find tons of them that weigh about a pound. Not only will they keep you warm, but they are comfortable!!! REI is especially good for thru-hiking gear...cause they stand behind their products...ie they will replace it if tears, gets a bad leak etc...

Feb/March in GA and NC mountains...is winter....get a sleeping bag...wait...get a mummy sleeping bag...wear a beanie.
    Down pants can greatly extend the range of your bag. They are also nice at the end of the day when you are finished hiking.
    (ps sometimes snows at Grayson highlands....in May..)

If cold temps force you to layover at a motel or hostel...any savings you are counting on by not buying a good bag...will be completely lost.

I see you live in NJ....this winter...before you start your hike...borrow/rent some stuff and sleep in your backyard on some really cold nights.
    On extended hikes...you really need to have a bulletproof sleeping system...or you will be miserable. Your sleeping bag/pad needs to be your refugee against the cold. It's hard enough to be outside hiking all day. This winter I'd try some different temp bags. A 15 degree bag is a reasonable one to try. (I'd also try a zero degree one). If you get a "warmer" bag 15 or 20 degree, then you can extend it with down pants/booties or liner. And then when it starts to get warmer (north of mt. Rogers)...you could send some stuff home, and still use your 15 or 20 degree bag...(until it gets hot...maybe in PA).

Don't think of the mountains in GA/NC/TN as being in the "South". In the winter they can be really cold. Much of the AT follows ridgelines, which means you are high up, exposed to the wind. And you know the shelters...are three sided..

I don't know how you can deal w/ the potential cold temps in late Feb/early Mar w/ the set-up you have. A sleeping pad of around an R-value of 5 is needed for sure. If you are a cold sleeper as you indicated, you might consider a 0 Deg sleeping bag (& not a quilt).

Or, see if you can get your schedule to allow for a later start (mid April or so).

Note: On one night (in late Mar) on my thru-hike, it got down to 15 deg or colder. My 15 deg bag was pegged at its limit even though I had every stitch of clothing on (& I'm a warm sleeper). I shared a shelter w/ three other guys that had 30 deg bags. They shivered all night & were only able to cat nap off & on. They were miserable. And one of them was a retired Marine who taught cold-weather warfare while he was active duty. He told me that it wasn't the most miserable night he'd ever spent in his life. But, it was really high on the list.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I'm new to long range hiking. Your gear are the tools that are going to get you through those difficult times. A mechanic doesnt use Chinese tools, they want quality tools

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and you are lying yours. Upgrade that sleeping mat to something that has a value of R5 to R7. Right now, you may have an R1. My winter sleep system is a 30 degree down bag and a 30 degree synthetic quilt on top of a CCF foam pad and insulated air mattress. I sleep cold, too, but I'm warm in this set up down to 0 or so. Also make sure you eat something fatty and high calorie before bed. You are depending on the furnace of your body to keep you warm. Keep the furnace fed with fuel.

Good news - you don't need a new bag . You should be toasty warm with a 15 degree quilt and a down coat.

What you really need is a MUCH warmer pad (down filled pad = warmest by a significant margin, but a synthetic filled pad is still very good).

Add a 48" ridgerest to use as a sit pad at breaks, and around camp --- and put it under your torso when you are sleeping.

Also, if your down coat doesn't have a hood, then make sure you have an extra warm balaclava for sleeping. In either case you'll need a fleece hat for camp wear and when hiking on really cold days. When sleeping, wear both.

Also, bring a pair of insulated pants to wear in camp and sleeping. Synthetic puffy pants are warmest and lightest. If you run cold, you'll probably need something at least as warm as polar tech sweat pants. Folks who run warmer can get by with base layer bottoms.

If it gets really cold, put on your rain jacket and rain pants too. It's noticeably clammy - but significantly warmer too

You need to try whatever you decide...I would never use a non-mummy bag in the winter...let alone a quilt...
    So when it gets cold...try different things outside to find out what works for you.

But I think everybody would tell you...you need good insulation...ie sleeping pad for the bottom.

I have a double layer hammock. I intend to start in February. Not sure if this set up will work as I have only had it down to 30, maybe a little less. I use a back country bed which I love. It has a mat sleeve and I put in one that reflects heat. I have put a survival blanket between the layers on the hammock. I wear a good pear of long underwear. On my coldest night I used a bottle full of hot water between my legs and I was comfortable.

Hey...resurrecting the thread. There's a good price drop on the neoair xlite, I decided to go for it. Got the women's version which is 3.9 R. I figured at only $20 and 4 oz extra compared to the small was worth it. I had Amazon credit so bought through there, with befrugal cashback it's about $110 for the women's and around $90 for the small. Probably could save more with cashback and coupons at backcountry directly, but I had the Amazon credit.

Hopefully will be the main fix for this. Also I think my start date will be more like mid end March now which will be a huge help (my brother postponed his wedding one month).

Also unfortunately I won't go back to the us until a week or so before hiking so won't get to test much before starting. I've used pads before, kinda meh on the blow up ones, really the weight savings using my foam one was no trade off at all for me, I love it. But this xlite seems like good gear. Probably will hold onto the foam pad, maybe use in summer.

I used the Xlite pad (size regular - 72" X 20") successfully down to about 15 deg (w/ a 15-deg bag). Worked for me. You might consider using the NeoAir Pump Sack to inflate your pad to prevent moisture build-up to your pad. It inflates your pad rapidly. You'll have an added bonus of not having to get light-headed while inflating it.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

++ New Posts ++