WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am a GG mariposa guy myself. it says 2lbs on the site but the version I got weighs 24oz WITH the aluminum stay and a few modifications (taking things off and putting some on). I am constantly doing small things to modify the pack in my own methods so the weight may change over time but you get the idea. The only major thing i dont like about this pack is the sweaty back it gives me. Otherwise the pack setup, weight, and looks, are PERFECT for my conditions thus far and I only modify small things only a custom built pack specifically for me would have.

I also have a marmot plasma 15. I like the bag a great deal but if i had to do it over again I would look at some of the top quilts a little harder and make my decision from that research. Since I have the plasma, its not worth me changing out for a few more years (I have had it for two already with no signs of wear). I do like the mummy feel though. If I have to wrap up you can feel the heat get exponentially hotter fully zipped up and all setup.

I hammock camp so a mini review there wont help you so I will keep it to myself.

Like most have said here, if you focus on your big three and spend most of your money there, the small stuff will fall into place.

I am still guilty of over packing water and food. Something I need to work on as well and also "packing my fears" (I especially worry about water too much).

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello to all,

On my last trip from Damascus to Buena Vista. I tried to lighten my pack up further. In doing so I made several critical mistakes.

1) There were days that I would do 20 or more miles, and I always planned if it was 50 miles to the next resupply I would bring 5 days worth of food. planning on the 10 miles a day which I know at the bare least minimum I can do. Example of packing my fears

2) with my big three, my SM trekker is the lightest followed by my 40 degrees sleeping bag 2.5lbs, which believe it or not I was glad to have a few nights, but otherwise to much, and I know will be as I go throught the mid atlantic states in the summer.

3) Of my big 3 my backpack is the heaviest. It's an opsrey 65l Atmos. Which I really love. With all the food I brought on this long section. I was glad to have it. My pack weight was around 30lbs. I really would like to reduce my pack weight.

I want to hike with a lighter weight on my back. I just have a nagging fear of not having enough food. Don't know why.

Can anyone make any recommendations for a lighter pack, bag, or quilt. Regarding food I will have some time to experiment with this as well.

Any help regarding anything I mentioned would be greatly appreciated and very welcome.

Floyd
    Just changing the big 3 you could drop half of the weight.
    Try carrying less food, the more you carry the less likely you are to hike farther.
    The best gear for lightweight is found on the Internet and made in the USA, pricey but good.
    I've got a 40° quilt that weighs under 17 Ozs for example and actually prefer people to the new Exos series if they aren't going to carry alot and don't have as much to spend on a pack. Six Moons makes a really nice tent at 24oz the Lunar Solo is hard to beat considering the weight, room , durability and cost. I've got over 3,000 on mine and was going to bring it to the PCT for a attempt to thru it, and think it would have had a good shot at it. I ended up with a good deal on a Zpacks Solo Plus though so it will be on standby just in case.

Another thought to make the hike easier is to lose weight. Everyone is talking about spending $700 or more to cut a few pounds out of your pack. Cut out sugar and bread and carbs and you can easily and cheaply drop 20 or 30 pounds off your body. Look for any of the paleo type sites for guides. Marks Daily Apple is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    Another thought to make the hike easier is to lose weight. Everyone is talking about spending $700 or more to cut a few pounds out of your pack. Cut out sugar and bread and carbs and you can easily and cheaply drop 20 or 30 pounds off your body. Look for any of the paleo type sites for guides. Marks Daily Apple is a good start.

Unless you're at a healthy weight already. I'd classify the paleo diet as a silly fad diet. Carbs are not the enemy. A balanced nutritious diet with portion control isn't hard to achieve, and a lot also depends on one's mental state, fitness level, general health and age.

I'm going to +1 on the SM Lunar Solo for a great tent at a reasonable cost. I use it when I take my dogs due the the durability of Silnylon over Cuben. I did just order a ZPacks Duplex for my PCT thru-hike as I'd rather have the waterproof Cuben despite the cost, but my dogs won't be with me. SMD and Tarptent are great for those on more of a budget.

I'm also going to +1 on the ZPacks Arc backpacks. Another post has the Blast, I have the Haul and love it. It takes some adjusting and getting used to, but it was worth every penny in my opinion. Unfortunately ZPacks gear isn't cheap and my second choice would have been a ULA Circuit if I couldn't have scrounged up the money for the Haul.

I can also vouch for the weight and quality of the EE quilts/bags. I love mine. The service was excellent, even when I changed my mind on the specs of the order half a dozen times.

I have my Big 3 (including a 19oz luxury sleeping pad that I will not give up) weighing in at 6.4lbs. Not quite SUL, which I have no desire to be, but comfortable and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Unless you're at a healthy weight already. I'd classify the paleo diet as a silly fad diet. Carbs are not the enemy. A balanced nutritious diet with portion control isn't hard to achieve, and a lot also depends on one's mental state, fitness level, general health and age.
    You can call it what ever you want. It works and you feel great following it. It is eating a healthy balanced diet, and grains and sugar are the enemy.

Anyway... The point holds true, losing weight around the belly is more beneficial than losing it in your pack. However you choose to do that is up to you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    You can call it what ever you want. It works and you feel great following it. It is eating a healthy balanced diet, and grains and sugar are the enemy.

Anyway... The point holds true, losing weight around the belly is more beneficial than losing it in your pack. However you choose to do that is up to you.
    FWIW: whenever I want to shed a few pounds, I go Paleo for a couple/few weeks, never fails. I'm also convinced carbs/sugars/grains are the real dietary enemy, not meats/fats, assuming a good balanced overall diet.

Regarding body vs. pack pounds: Certainly, if one is overweight, losing body pounds is vitally important, but assuming one actually hikes a long way on his/her hike, he/she will certainly lose pounds without trying.

Also: I find pounds in a pack, hanging off your back, are more uncomfortable overall than pounds distributed nice and evenly all over you body. Both extra weights put pretty much the same stresses on you feet legs, obviously. But a well equipped but UL pack is a joy to carry. Or I should say unnoticeable to carry, which is a true joy. Nothing like it. Whatever you weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    FWIW: whenever I want to shed a few pounds, I go Paleo for a couple/few weeks, never fails. I'm also convinced carbs/sugars/grains are the real dietary enemy, not meats/fats, assuming a good balanced overall diet.
    Could have fooled me - I eat a very high-carb (but low fat and vegetarian (mostly vegan actually)) diet and am in great health and don't have any excess weight. I eat a ton of sugar too, but in the naturally-occuring form (I eat more fruit than anything else), nothing refined. I don't eat a lot of grains but do include some (I just frankly don't like them very much), and don't go out of my way to avoid fats either although I would imagine I have a relatively low amount overall. The only thing I do strictly avoid is meat and while I'll have dairy on occasion, it isn't a daily thing.

I've tried LOTS of different diets including paleo in the past, and stuck with what actually works and I feel content with. There is a reason that paleo will lead to weight loss, but there's also a probably a reason you don't stick with it consistently. Food for thought (pun intended). There are certainly lessons to be learned from it, but my main objection is that it's called "paleo" when in fact it's based on speculation (and to a degree, modern science rather than actual fact and many of the things that are advertised as "paleo" foods are so far removed from what paleolithic man would have had available it's ridiculous. Of course I also find things like veggie burgers and fake meats and the plethora of refined soy products on the market ridiculous as well.

Anyways not trying to argue just pointing out that I don't think we can point at one or two specific aspects as "the enemy", and lifestyle makes a great deal of impact as well. I reckon the most important thing dietarily is to eat real wholesome foods, and not worry too much about the details of "fats", "carbs", "sugars", etc. (each of which encompasses a rather broad range of things).

Also: I find pounds in a pack, hanging off your back, are more uncomfortable overall than pounds distributed nice and evenly all over you body.
    Indeed! The entire digestive tract in particular is perfectly balanced over your hips better than any backpack.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 02-17-2016 at 17:40.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Could have fooled me - I eat a very high-carb (but low fat and vegetarian (mostly vegan actually)) diet and am in great health and don't have any excess weight. I eat a ton of sugar too, but in the naturally-occuring form (I eat more fruit than anything else), nothing refined. I don't eat a lot of grains but do include some (I just frankly don't like them very much), and don't go out of my way to avoid fats either although I would imagine I have a relatively low amount overall. The only thing I do strictly avoid is meat and while I'll have dairy on occasion, it isn't a daily thing.

I've tried LOTS of different diets including paleo in the past, and stuck with what actually works and I feel content with. There is a reason that paleo will lead to weight loss, but there's also a probably a reason you don't stick with it consistently. Food for thought (pun intended). There are certainly lessons to be learned from it, but my main objection is that it's called "paleo" when in fact it's based on speculation (and to a degree, modern rather than actual fact and many of the things that are advertised as "paleo" foods are so far removed from what paleolithic man would have had available it's ridiculous. Of course I also find things like veggie burgers and fake meats and the plethora of refined soy products on the market ridiculous as well.

Anyways not trying to argue just pointing out that I don't think we can point at one or two specific aspects as "the enemy", and lifestyle makes a great deal of impact as well. I reckon the most important thing dietarily is to eat real wholesome foods, and not worry too much about the details of "fats", "carbs", "sugars", etc. (each of which encompasses a rather broad range of things).

Indeed! The entire digestive tract in particular is perfectly balanced over your hips better than any backpack.
    Whatever works! I eat meat, decent quantities of it every day and I'm in fine health and have virtually no excess weight. But over the holidays... out come the Christmas cookies!!! And Cheesecake. And this, and that... on go 5 pounds! So I back off on the carbs, voila, back down 5 in a flash. I only refer to "Paleo" because what I've heard of it is what I east the most of, I don't have any beliefs in the details of the diet.

I should have been more specific about "carbs" being "the enemy", not vegetables nor most fruits, and "the enemy" I was referring to was weight gain, not general overall health.

I crave meat. I love meat. Meat makes me feel great. Beef. Chicken. Pork. Venison. Yummy! So far, it has never affected me in any noticeably negative way. Low BP. Low Cholesterol. Goin' strong at 60. Well, there are aches and pains....

Please, let's not delve into meat ethics. whole 'nether discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Please, let's not delve into meat ethics. whole 'nether discussion.
    Wasn't trying to, just illustrating a manner in which one can eat a huge volume of carbs with no weight gain. Therefore, it's not a simple as "carbs cause weight gain". Science wishes things were so simple, but reality doesn't always work that way.

Paleo diet is a silly fad diet? Nonsense. It is biologically based and has 2.5 million years of experience behind it. Some fad....

The high carb diet pushed on us in 1977 by the McGovern Committee is the 40-year fad diet. Read the Big Fat Surprise by Teicholtz or Death by Food Pyramid for all the sordid details. There never was good science behind the recommendations to cut fat (and pump up sugar and carbs in processed food). There are reasons why countries like Sweden have reversed their dietary recommendations and now promote a high fat low carb diet.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Paleo diet is a silly fad diet? Nonsense. It is biologically based and has 2.5 million years of experience behind it. Some fad....
    I wouldn't call it a fad diet - I called some of the products marketed as "paleo" ridiculous. Like, for instance, curry-flavored "tortillas" made out of coconut flour, or mayonnaise made with avocado oil. It is ludicrous to claim that ancient peoples would make such products, and whatever they did make, they would make themselves, not buy ready-made. The ingredients may in their unrefined form be things that paleolithic folks would have eaten, but no paleo person would have access to all of the ingredients in one of these products in the same place at the same time, let alone the interest or ability in refining them to such a degree. As for "experience", there are no records of paleolithic dietary details, there is only speculation. Many of the things recommended by a paleo diet, even many of these products, may well be healthy, but to assume they have any similarity to what paleolithic mankind ate isn't something that can be proven or even reasonably assumed. What it does have is basis in a lot of modern evidence that can be directly observed, and there's nothing wrong with that. However even present-day knowledge is incomplete (and full of disagreements).

Note - I typed all the above before realizing you were repling to Puddlefish, not me. Oops, but I'll leave what I wrote... Still, his point about mental state, fitness level, general health and age being important factors is very true, and thinking that any diet change alone without taking the other lifestyle factors into consideration isn't going to work very well. I'll tell you one thing - I eat a lot differently and more when out hiking every day than when sitting at my desk job!

There never was good science behind the recommendations to cut fat (and pump up sugar and carbs in processed food).
    With that I agree completely. I have met people so afraid of fat that they limit their daily diet plan will include "1/4 of an avocado" or "2 brazil nuts", and nothing else with any fat at all. But as with carbs, not all fats are the same, at all. A spoonful of coconut oil, or even lard, is a heck of a lot healthier than the same measurement of Crisco. I've also met people so afraid of sugar or carbs that they won't dare touch a piece of fruit... Such extremes are never good, but they occur surprisingly often.

I highly recommend cutting off all hair before your trip. At least you can burn off excess body fat as fuel for hiking. But hair and nails? What a waste..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow my post took a turn for the worse. I was simply offering a suggestion that I know works to cut weight. I've done it and everyone I know that does it has success. My point behind it was we search for lighter gear and ignore us. The OP at 205 and 5'10" could probably lose 20-30lbs without much effort and feel great. Maybe he's a body builder, I don't know.

In my mind I have a picture of "ultralight" hikers I've seen who wear the 4oz wind shirt to cut weight but have a 50 pound beer belly sticking out.

I'm the fat lightweight hiker.. 5'10" 225 but I feel great, have good stamina and I often laugh at myself when I "weenie' over grams then consider that the most cost effective alternative to fancy new gear is a little self discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I highly recommend cutting off all hair before your trip. At least you can burn off excess body fat as fuel for hiking. But hair and nails? What a waste..
    Also, have a good, hard think about just how many fingers and toes you really need, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Also, have a good, hard think about just how many fingers and toes you really need, anyways.
    For that answer, just one finger
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Count me among the people who have backpacked with a variety of pack weights and body weights. (I'm running heavier in the body than I'd like right now, because I can't hike very much with a foot problem.) At one point I dropped about 40 pounds over a period of about three years, just because I had more time to hike. I also upgraded some equipment and lost maybe 10 or 15 pounds of pack weight. I noticed the drop in pack weight more.

(From Skin In weight is important, don't get me wrong, but I do agree with those who feel the pack weight more.)

My recipe for weight loss? Go hiking, and eat whatever I durned well please.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

As to Brewguy's comments about carbs/sugar/grain being the enemy..... you are aware what your "brew" is made from, right? ;-)

One of the biggest problems we have in our standard american diet is empty calories. I'm with Casey & Gina on sugar.... try to get it from fruit. And the more you eat, the better for your health. But the refined sugar and corn syrup that is added to almost every processed food and beverage that you can buy at your local grocery (or health food store for that matter) is just adding empty calories to your food to make you think it is better. Also, avoid the carbonated liquid candy.

Grains and carbs are good for you. You need them for proper brain function. They are a great source of fiber and nutrients. The problem comes when we refine grain into white flour (which removes the nutritious germ to improve shelf life), mix it with sugar, throw it on a supermarket shelf, and then tell everybody they need 6-11 servings of it per day. Don't shy away from your oatmeal, but look suspiciously at anything marketed as 100% whole grain, but ingredient #2 on the list is corn syrup. And 6-11 servings is ridiculous. Try 3 servings or so of whole grains.

Nutrition is such a touchy subject. Too many studies come out contradicting each other. For me, I have a history of heart disease and diabetes in my family, so I am trying to follow a diet that reduces my weight (cause I am too heavy) and minimizes my risk of hardening arteries. I eat mostly vegetarian, leaning towards vegan. But I still eat meat and fish about once a week. But the problem with going vegetarian is that many become carb-a-tarians, which I am trying to avoid.

For a great (sobering) read, pick up "How Not to Die" by Dr. Michael Greger (or check out his youtube channel "Nutrition Facts"). While I know you can make studies say what you want them to say, this is a great resource for those who are considering or have gone vegetarian.

Caveat #1: I'm overweight and out of shape. I'm trying to learn a healthier way of life.
    Caveat #2: I identify with cp4056. I buy the ultralight gear and then laugh at how ridiculous it is that I am saving ounces, but neglecting the pounds in my body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++