WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default looking to become more lightweight

Hello to all,

On my last trip from Damascus to Buena Vista. I tried to lighten my pack up further. In doing so I made several critical mistakes.

1) There were days that I would do 20 or more miles, and I always planned if it was 50 miles to the next resupply I would bring 5 days worth of food. planning on the 10 miles a day which I know at the bare least minimum I can do. Example of packing my fears

2) with my big three, my SM trekker is the lightest followed by my 40 degrees sleeping bag 2.5lbs, which believe it or not I was glad to have a few nights, but otherwise to much, and I know will be as I go throught the mid atlantic states in the summer.

3) Of my big 3 my backpack is the heaviest. It's an opsrey 65l Atmos. Which I really love. With all the food I brought on this long section. I was glad to have it. My pack weight was around 30lbs. I really would like to reduce my pack weight.

I want to hike with a lighter weight on my back. I just have a nagging fear of not having enough food. Don't know why.

Can anyone make any recommendations for a lighter pack, bag, or quilt. Regarding food I will have some time to experiment with this as well.

Any help regarding anything I mentioned would be greatly appreciated and very welcome.

Floyd

Journal Entries

I always have too much food. Because I usually average higher mpd than I planned. I dont worry about not having enough .
    Existing on half food per day wouldnt be a big deal for a few days, but Ive never had to do it.

A 40F quilt, can weigh as little as 12oz, I have a 20F that weighs 17.2. You can save big weight there with high end down.

Multiple packs in the 2-3 lb range that are good for up to 30 lbs. Circuit, mariposa, kalais, etc.

Garlic
    Images

Food is a biggie for most. The way I found to get over the food phobia was going hungry. Hiking the Sierra Nevada on the PCT, it's hard to carry enough food and most hikers are hungry and emaciated after that 200 mile stretch, piled on the 700 desert miles before that. The great lesson I learned on that trip was what it was like to go to bed hungry, something I realized I'd never once done before in my then-nearly fifty years of pampered North American life. And it's something much of the world lives with daily.

Somewhere along the way I started planning food based on miles, rather than days. I plan about one pound of food for every 10 or 12 miles, depending on terrain. That way if I hike big miles, I eat more. If I hike less, I eat less per day. And now I know I won't blow up if I miss a meal.

For instance, on my AT hike, I entered the 100 mile wilderness with eight pounds of food and left it having eaten my last cashew a few hours earlier, a very successful resupply. I didn't even plan for meals or days, just overall quantity.

On gear, I tried a quilt a few years ago and it's one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. I'm very happy with single-wall Tarptent shelters in most thru-hiking conditions, and when the base load gets under fifteen pounds look at sub-one pound frameless packs like those at Gossamer Gear and others.

Good observations, and good luck in your journey.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

You can easily find a lighter pack at the weight you're carrying. Tons of options will help you save 2 or 3 pounds.

I bought a Jacks r better 40 degree quilt with treated down for $170 on sale and it's about one pound. Enlightened equipment has some great bang for the buck offerings too. If you go quilt, however, I highly recommend having an insulated pad if you're pushing below 50 degrees which adds some weight. The klymit insulated static V lite is a good value and not that heavy.

To add to the suggestion above...think about the calorie and nutritional density of your food so that you are getting more out of each oz of food you're carrying. I'm a huge fan of powdered sports drink or even tang which helps me get some calories and avoid fatigue while I'm moving. Nido, powdered greens, olive oil and dried fruits can be low weight supplements that round out an otherwise simplified diet.

Also try to simplify your hydration system and cook kit to maximize weight savings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Images

I have a number of extensive spreadsheets with gear wt/cost (lt. wt, u/l, 3-season), and food lists, if interested send pm with email and I will forward.

On this last trip. I tried to pack light on the food.

I planned my food around the three main times I normally eat such as Breakfast, lunch and Dinner.

Breakfast was a rotation of Grits reconstituted in cold water. Granola, and oatmeal. I ate the grits, but I had to choke down, the granola and oatmeal. I wanted to eat food that required no cooking, so I could get up pack, and get moving.

Lunch, was flatbread and either peanut butter in the separate small containers, or precooked bacon, which is surprisingly light. I tried to get Salami in precut slices but none of the stores in my area carried this.

Dinner was the easiest knorr sides with dehydrated beans that I did myself, coucous, and other lightweight items with olive oil. I freezer bag cook so all I do is boil water with my cat alky stove. Pretty light.

Snacks were peanut M&M's fritos, jerky that I made, pringles, and of course snicker bars. I planned one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I also packed gateraid. After last year in not doing this, and knowing that where I was going was to be hotter I thought I better do it.

I may try a slow drip method of eating small meals during the day.

I'm about 205lbs and at 5'10ish. Last year ( Fontana -Erwin) I did not pack enough and I felt bonked out plus I was in bad shape. I worked out all of last year to prepare me for this trip and it helped.

I am looking at quilts and may look further into Ray Jardines do it yourself. For a 40 degree quilt paying a substantial amount of money seems like a path I don't want to take, rather save for a good 0 bag. I have looked at E. equipment, Jacks are better. If you have any information about selling a used one let me know.

The osprey atmos, well, great pack but heavy. I'm beginning to find there is two types of hiking long distance, and short. What works for one doesn't really mean it will work for the other. I have known that for years but it has been really pointed out by the trail and what I learned this longer hike.

I apologize for the long post. I just wanted to share what I did and what my thought process is at the moment.
    All of your comments are welcome and greatly appreciated !!!!!
    Best,
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    On this last trip. I tried to pack light on the food.

I planned my food around the three main times I normally eat such as Breakfast, lunch and Dinner.

Breakfast was a rotation of Grits reconstituted in cold water. Granola, and oatmeal. I ate the grits, but I had to choke down, the granola and oatmeal. I wanted to eat food that required no cooking, so I could get up pack, and get moving.

Lunch, was flatbread and either peanut butter in the separate small containers, or precooked bacon, which is surprisingly light. I tried to get Salami in precut slices but none of the stores in my area carried this.

Dinner was the easiest knorr sides with dehydrated beans that I did myself, coucous, and other lightweight items with olive oil. I freezer bag cook so all I do is boil water with my cat alky stove. Pretty light.

Snacks were peanut M&M's fritos, jerky that I made, pringles, and of course snicker bars. I planned one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I also packed gateraid. After last year in not doing this, and knowing that where I was going was to be hotter I thought I better do it.

I may try a slow drip method of eating small meals during the day.

I'm about 205lbs and at 5'10ish. Last year ( Fontana -Erwin) I did not pack enough and I felt bonked out plus I was in bad shape. I worked out all of last year to prepare me for this trip and it helped.

I am looking at quilts and may look further into Ray Jardines do it yourself. For a 40 degree quilt paying a substantial amount of money seems like a path I don't want to take, rather save for a good 0 bag. I have looked at E. equipment, Jacks are better. If you have any information about selling a used one let me know.

The osprey atmos, well, great pack but heavy. I'm beginning to find there is two types of hiking long distance, and short. What works for one doesn't really mean it will work for the other. I have known that for years but it has been really pointed out by the trail and what I learned this longer hike.

I apologize for the long post. I just wanted to share what I did and what my thought process is at the moment.
    All of your comments are welcome and greatly appreciated !!!!!
    Best,
    Floyd
    Regarding a slow drip of calories: My new favorite pre- breakfast is whole milk powder, whey protein powder, cocoa powder and instant coffee powder. I prepare the night before by putting the dry ingredients in a screw top plastic container and put it in my bear bag. First thing in the morning I add water, shake and drink. It's amazingly delicious and quick. I follow that by reloading the screw top container with granola, walnuts and while milk powder. I carry this for my first hour or so of hiking then stop in a scenic spot and add water and eat. Then it's on to a constant stream of jerky, trail mix, chocolate, cheese and crackers, etc until dinner; Usually a boil water add to bag meal. I never bonk and always feel full with this plan. My motto is no boring food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I follow Garlics calories per mile food carry. in my case it is 100 calories per mile with a final meal at days end. I carry primarily carbs and eat them about once an hour. So it really wouldn't matter if I hike longer or shorter, I have the food and little more. (If you go to Scott Jureks Facebook he describes almost an identical fueling strategy.) Once you get the food pared down, do the same with water. people carry way too much water, again out of fear. you wouldn't die if you go without water for an hour or two. As far as gear, that is not evolution.

I made a top quilt to replace my sleeping bag for summer trips. It's 2.5oz/yard climashield apex, with a 40-50 temp rating and weighs in at 14 Oz. I Love it

Hey guys thanks for all of the great ideas.

I do appreciate them all. I guess I hike and then try to find out what to do better and what backfired.

I would love to read Scott Jurecks Facebook page. I'm gonna have to log in on my wife's account. I must be the only person left that doesn't have an account.

CP4056 was it Ray's design our your own?
    Floyd

My own, took some measurements, I went a bit on the small side because it's a summer quilt and wasn't too concerned about complete coverage.

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...56aab00cc8.jpg

Ugh, I just realized that my Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 is a full pound heavier than the Osprey being called a heavyweight here. I have been convincing myself that the heavier weight brings greater comfort and durability. It *is* a comfortable pack for me, but maybe I need to seriously consider changing this out before embarking on a thru hike...

Regarding food, I usually carry too much (vs. not enough). Usually I'm running on adrenaline the first day or two and appetite is suppressed. Section hikers aren't subject to the long-term hiker hunger dynamic, at least not the first few days.

You can certainly do better than 2.5 lbs. for a 40 degree bag but it'll cost you. You could save a pound or more of pack weight as well, if you really wanted to.

I'd say if you've got your pack down to 30 lbs. or less with food and water, you're almost home. Less is better. I'm an old phart and carried about 25 lbs. (all-up) for my hikes this summer. It'll be closer to 30 lbs. when I go hiking in Maine later this month.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    ... I'm gonna have to log in on my wife's account. I must be the only person left that doesn't have an account.
    Floyd
    You're behind me in the "I don't do Facebook" line.

Look for Boone Barrs in North Carolina. I get mine from Earth Fare whenever we are in Boone. Calorie dense. Waterproof packaging. Good tasting. Not too sweet. A meal in itself.

http://www.happymountainfoods.com/

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You're behind me in the "I don't do Facebook" line.
    I'm in that line too :-)
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    I'm in that line too :-)
    +1 🏼

Cool

Maybe we should start a club.
    However,
    " I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER " Groucho Marx

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks guys for all the help.

I can do better than 2.5 pounds for a bag and a lighter backpack. So many needs $$$$ right now. I just got to lighten up, and find the sweet spot for food. The hiker boxes in Va. definitely benefited. I sent some home when I got to Pearisburg as well. shesh!

......and here I thought I was the only one not interested in Facebook!

Floyd

I Love my super comfy & bomber Osprey 65l Atmos, and I will keep it! I purchased the Zpacks 52l Arc Zip and shaved some serious lbs and still have a very comfy pack; I will warn you that cuben is addictive... Folks at Zpacks have been amazing- top notch customer service and backpackers themselves!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++