Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I cut the end off my toothbrush to save weight. I can't imagine carrying a gun! But then, I'm inclined to believe that guns present a false sense of security. I also sincerely believe that guns increase risk, rather than reduce risk, unless you really put in the time and effort for proper, professional training. And I don't have that commitment.

I'm a woman, and I backpack solo. I don't camp near roads, and I use my sense. If a situation doesn't feel right, I leave (and am okay packing up and night-hiking if needed).

I have a conceal permit here in GA and I carry it always to the point I forget I have it. However, on the AT (lone female hiker) I do not carry. I have never felt the need and even though my weapon is light weight, I feel my wits weigh better. You would have to haul it out, and clean it at least every few weeks from moisture and dirt. If I walked into a shelter and someone was cleaning theirs I would walk right out.

I carry a canister of mace hooked onto my dog's leash when walking him alone at night -- I'll probably put it on one of those retracting wires that hospital employees often use for their badges. I've never had to use it and hopefully I never will, but Murphy's law says that as soon as I get rid of it I'll end up needing it.

You might need the heavier duty key chain version.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++