Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Concealed weapons for single female hikers

I am going to section hike next year Springer to Grayson Highlands. Lets just say my boyfriend is not thrilled with the idea of me being by myself. I have no problem with hiking my own hike so to say. Now i do have a concealed permit and a stun gun. I have already looked into the states that I am allowed to carry my weapons. Just wondering if any of you ladies have carried in the past, or is there really a need to go to extremes.. I will be hiking in July, have no idea as to the traffic flow that time of year.

To answer your question.....YES I CARRY CONCEALED, legally.

The question was directed specifically to the ladies. Nearly all of you gentleman who answered should know better to stay out of the thread. Do yourselves a favor gents and put the thread on ignore.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I'm a single female hiker, and I've never, ever felt uncomfortable on the trail. If you take a weapon, it's just extra weight and if it is "concealed," you couldn't get it if you needed it in a hurry. Better to rely on your wits.

Images

Hi there, since you are asking this question of women who backpack alone, and I qualify, my answer is: no. If I got to the point where I thought I needed to take a weapon I'd stop hiking, the fun would be totally out of it for me at that point.

I hope you come to some peace about your decision. I find that it is better not to listen too carefully to worried people beforehand, just go and come back and tell them what an awesome time you had!

Jane in CT

I started out as a solo female hiker, on the AT and elsewhere. I never felt the slightest need for a gun.

I'm a woman who has hiked solo for nine years, and a gun is about the last thing I'd consider bringing. Ever.

Images

I have never carried on the AT, never felt the need to. I know a couple of guys that started out carrying. The weapons were IN their packs, which would seem to be rather pointless anyway. One of them had his wife come and get his. A gun could give a false sense of security and cause you to not listen to your instincts. If a situation does not feel right, then a gun would not make you safer, but distance would.
    And also, even though you can carry in a lot of the states the AT passes through, there are some places, such as Nat Parks, State Parks, etc that it is not legal. And if you happen to enter a Federal building, such as the post office, visitor center, campground office, etc, you would be violating federal law. Yes, you probably won't get caught, but if you do, you could be charged with a felony. Carry a knife on your pack strap or bear spray (but check regs on the bear spray too). Just stay alert when in towns and road crossing; that would be your best defense.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Journal Entries
    Images

If you want to carry, are willing to hoof the extra weight (mine is 11.5 oz ), can do so LEGALLY (open carry or concealed), and it makes you feel better, go for it. If not, carry bear spray. It has a pretty decent range, and will most likely deter any threat long enough for you to bug out to safety. I will say that you probably won't need to carry, and if you have it buried in your pack, it's really no use to you 70% of the time (you'll be hiking). Plus, you have to worry about rust, losing it, keeping it on you when you fetch water, answer nature's call, etc. Also, if you carry, (which I'm not opposed to by the way), expect some people to approach you out of the blue with their personal opinions about the 2nd Amendment and why guns are bad, spooky, and scary blah blah blah. If having a giany shiny samurai sword makes you feel safer, take it, lol.

But seriously, I feel safer on the AT than I do going to a gas station in many places after dark, or some places in broad daylight, but fear isn't going to keep me from living and doing what I want to do.

Aside from the legal implications and such, hike your own hike. Just make sure you follow all applicable state and federal regulations. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hiking the AT this year. No gun on me and haven't felt a need to have one and I have a CWP but to each their own
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Solo thru-hiker. No weapon. No bear spray. Never had any need whatsoever.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

I have hiked for years, all sorts of hikes in all sorts of places, including remote wilderness places and also have a concealed carry permit. I do not take my gun on my hikes, I do have pepper spray and a stun gun that I also do not use on my hikes but for other things, however I do carry a knife that I am pretty proficient at using if needed but to be perfectly honest the need has never arisen from any dangers, two legged, four legged or otherwise with the exception of a very aggressive dog in which case my hiking sticks did the trick with a quick whack on the nose. But the knife has come handy for other things. In reality this girl hiker feels safer in the woods and on the trails than any where else. Something to remember, having a concealed carry permit in a state does not mean you can legally carry a firearm on a national trail. National is federal, not state and if you have to use it you will be charged for carrying it on federal property regardless of the reason. Of course having said that I would rather be alive and charged than dead and not charged...lol But the chances of you needing it versus the chances of you getting caught carrying...well more than once I have had to empty my pack to show I am not packing. I guess it boils down to how scared YOU are not how scared your boyfriend is since you are the one actually going on the trail and not him. Good luck in your decision.

Smoky, are you saying you were stopped by law enforcement and asked to prove you were not carrying? Can you give the circumstances in which you were put in this situation(s)?

Read here: http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/manage...nd-answers.htm
    Firearms Q and A

Questions & Answers
    Q. Why do people have firearms in national parks – they never did before?
    A. In most national parks, only authorized law enforcement officials have been allowed to carry firearms, but a 2009 federal law made national parks – and national wildlife refuges – generally subject to applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. When did this happen?
    A. The law was enacted on May 22, 2009, and became effective February 22, 2010.

Q. Were there parks where I could bring a firearm before February 22?
    A. Yes, in most Alaska national parks and in a limited number of other national parks that allow hunting (when the firearm was brought for the purpose of hunting). The law does not change existing state and federal laws regarding hunting or the conditions for hunting in national parks. Also, people who drove with firearms could have an unloaded firearm that was rendered inoperable and packed, cased, or stowed when their travels took them through a national park.

Q. Can I have a firearm in every park after February 22, 2010?
    A. If you can legally possess a firearm outside of a national park, you can possess it in that park on and after February 22, 2010. It is up to visitors to understand the requirements of federal law and the laws of the states/localities they live in or are travelling to (or through). Park websites have been updated to offer basic information about the applicable state law(s) and will generally include a link to a state website with more information.

Q. How do I know where I can take a firearm?
    A. It is the responsibility of each individual to know and understand applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I openly carry my firearm in a national park?
    A. If it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I carry a concealed firearm in a national park?
    A. If it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I have a firearm in my hotel room if it is inside a national park?
    A. Unless the hotel has a policy on firearms, if it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws
    .........................................and the answers go on and on.

Images

Neck knife is a 2.5" blade to rake face or ribs and it will do the job, it's always with you hanging close to your heart, always ready and less than 2ozs and no license required.
    Knife

Yes. I have more than been "politely asked" as the ranger put it to empty my pack to show it was not carrying a gun and also to show it had a bear vault. This has happened in several states and yes once was on the AT. It seems the further back in the back country you are the more they think you are apt to be packing. Now there is a lot of info on here saying you can and cannot carry if you have a concealed carry permit, therefore I spoke with three federal rangers and all three stated that carrying a gun on federal parks in national parks is illegal regardless of the fact you possess a concealed carry permit for that state. That is what I was told, yesteday. But maybe others are told something else or believe differently. To each their own, just remember, if YOU carry and get caught then YOU suffer the consequences not the person who told you it was o,ay. That was how it was put to me anyway. My suggestion....research it for yourself and speak with the Amicalola State Park rangers....good luck and godspeed either way. Happy trails ladies may we all be safe in any situation.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

have hiked all over the mid-atlantic, new england, out west. . .am almost finished section hiking the AT. . .i enjoy hiking solo and have never needed any type of weapon. would not wish to have one due to weight and the fact that i'm not experienced in using a weapon to attack another person/animal. i just don't see the need.

.com

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

I am not sure if this would be considered a concealed weapon, but I do carry a small pocket knife with me on backpacking trips. The knife is not only a weapon, but it is a useful item at cutting into packaging, editing rope, etc etc. You may not use it everyday on the trail, but you will wish you had it when you do need it.

Also. Self-Defense Classes. I took them in college. You could do you tube videos and practice with your partner. No weight included. :-P

As far as the people who say they will never carry anything on the trail for defense....I am always reminded of the people who were killed at the one shelter, and Inchworm who went missing under unknown pretense. I would rather be prepared, taking into thought weight/usefulness of the weapon, than to find myself in a position that you can't defend yourself. You may never find yourself in a situation that requires defense, I hope to god you don't, but it could be a life changer if you do carry something with you.

My little town in VA was shocked last year with a incident that no one saw coming. It was right in front of my old work, there is this cheap hotel you could stay at for a while if you are in a hard situation. Well, over night, a woman was murdered right in the parking lot over her purse. Apparently no one heard her and she was stabbed multiple times while trying to crawl away. This kinda of incident in a town that never see's so much as a bar fight made me rethink the safety of the woods, etc.

Like I said before. I would just do a few lessons on self defense, and take a small pocket knife. Carry it in a pocket, or at your waist. It comes in handy on the trail for general things, while also aiding you if something were too happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Yes. I have more than been "politely asked" as the ranger put it to empty my pack to show it was not carrying a gun and also to show it had a bear vault. This has happened in several states and yes once was on the AT. It seems the further back in the back country you are the more they think you are apt to be packing. Now there is a lot of info on here saying you can and cannot carry if you have a concealed carry permit, therefore I spoke with three federal rangers and all three stated that carrying a gun on federal parks in national parks is illegal regardless of the fact you possess a concealed carry permit for that state. That is what I was told, yesteday. But maybe others are told something else or believe differently. To each their own, just remember, if YOU carry and get caught then YOU suffer the consequences not the person who told you it was o,ay. That was how it was put to me anyway. My suggestion....research it for yourself and speak with the Amicalola State Park rangers....good luck and godspeed either way. Happy trails ladies may we all be safe in any situation.
    You were either given bad information, or you were in a federal building. Otherwise, National Parks follow state laws...or have, since 2010.

No was on my way to park and head out to my trailhead. Since I was literally looking at the building the rangers were in when we were speaking I am pretty sure I was at the park. One thing i forgot to tell was that the ranger on the AT informed me that because the AT itself was a national trail the second I stepped foot on it made it so federal law was applicable. Honestly I was VERY surprised because as you have said I always understood it to be state laws to follow. Anyway, that was in 2013 when that ranger told me, and as I said earlier the other conversation with the three rangers were yesterday. My spouse was there and heard it too. I do know federal law trumps state law everytime. Like I said before, it basically comes down to each person researching for themselves because in the end they are the one taking the chance to get caught with a weapon on federal land and suffering a possible federal charge or possibly risking not having a gun when they might need it to save their life. I think it is a very personal decision and one that educating yourself on is worth the time to do it. As for me on the AT since it is highly populated at the time I will be going I am not taking a gun, but understand if others choose to do so. My hope is that we all have a safe and amazing journey on our trail travels. God bless.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++