WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: boot help

Images

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Cleaner,

Thank you for the clarification. A carbon fiber plate as you described sounds interesting. I read your post, and you mentioned that it was prescribed to you. That is pretty interesting. it would shave off some weight on the feet. I may look down this avenue as well. You said you got it from a local orthotic and prosthetic supplier. Wow. I will have to remember this.

Thanks,
    Floyd
    I had a prescription for it from my foot Doc.My health insurance may pay for it.Something you might want to see about.I used it several hours last Saturday and it did help.I wear those black cop boots which are not very stiff in the front.I need a high top boot to keep chain saw chips from ruining my socks.Good luck.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Misterfloyd,

I'm a physical therapist and have specialized in foot problems. As I read the thread, I didn't get a good sense of what was "wrong" with your feet. You said they were flat and also wide. You said they weren't arthritic. When you stand barefoot, do your feet look "flat", that is to say no arch on the inside of the foot. With your feet non weight bearing--sitting in a chair--does it look like your feet have an arch. Your foot structure will determine with you need a well made orthotic, stiff boot, or something different.

Without being a doctor or knowing of your specific foot problems..

I can tell you that my feet are wide and I've had very good luck with Asolo boots if you can get them in a wide width...I'm on my third pair over an eight year period...

Granted, I don't hike a ton of miles but I have 1) ankle issues and a 2) a wide foot and 3) very hot feet and I've had excellent luck with all of my Asolos.

Best of luck to you.

After going to several podiatrist and and Ortho doc. I have been told I have post tibular tendinitis. I have heard many diagnoses, and not one has taken an MRI, which to me means they are guessing.

Sitting or standing, my feet are flat.

In speaking with these doctors, I have not gotten a consistent diagnoses. The ortho doc, wants to put me in an ankle brace for 6 months, others want to cut.

I have delt with tendinitis before. It has been 4 months of rest. It's not cutting it. There are other treatments that I will be seeking.

I do appreciate all of the input from you all. I have found that the hard orthopedics that were prescribed to me, has exacerbated the problem. I have since taken them out, and they do feel much better.

Sometimes doctors do more harm than good. I'm afraid that the doctor years ago that prescribed the hard ortho inserts did just that. You cannot create an arch in flat feet. It just doesn't happen.

I remain hopeful and look forward to getting back outside.

Keep the input and your thoughts coming. I learn through you!

Thank you,
    Floyd

Posterior tibial tendonitis is a result of a flat foot or a foot that over pronates. You said your feet were flat weight bearing or non weight bearing. Even though your foot looks flat it is important to determine if the forefoot ( the part of the foot at the toes) is slanted up. This is called a forefoot varus. This is a major cause of flat feet and can be corrected with orthotics.

Sorry to be so technical but depending on the type of flat foot makes a big difference on how you treat it. The surgery you mentioned was probably to rebuild the fallen arch. It is a big deal surgery. Perhaps we can Skype to look at your foot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

perrypt2
    I appreciate the help, PM sent.

I don't like boots very much for the trail mostly and use trail runners, but when I do they have to be super stiff on the bottom. The uppers should be light, flexible, rugged, and breath decent. Unfortunately though most boots I would consider boots come only in waterproof, which makes them a little bit warmer.
    I used Asolo Drifters form the Whites to Katahdin thinking it was going to be colder, bit it was still hot outside almost to the end. They did well in the heat, but it's important to take off the socks and boots during breaks.
    I would get Asolo Fugitive GTX boots next time as I believe they will be a little stiffer and last a bit longer.
    Hope that helps a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++