WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ragweed season?

Default Ragweed season?

I have terrible ragweed allergies...in general it seems to be worse in late summer/early fall (ie. August/Sept) where I live, but I'm not on the east coast, so I don't know how that timing might differ along the AT. Can someone comment on ragweed season in the north vs. south along the AT? If I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible, would it help to be in any particular place during those months, or is it likely to be bad everywhere in August/Sept for me?

I'm no help. I suffer from it and here in Texas, it is always around. On doctors advice, I found a allergy med that works real well for me and just stay on it year round. I used to try and "time it", see the allergy report and then start the meds. I'd get sick anyway. Doc pointed out how cheap the med is and since I suffer from several allergies thru the year, just quit trying to "time things" and stay on it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Ragweed tends to be in bloom from mid August - September through most of the Northeast. In VA it may start as early as the end of July, but it seems to like the same two months where ever it is from VA north.

Darn, it sounds like on a NOBO thru hike I likely wouldn't be able to avoid it then, unless I hiked really fast...which given my general lack of athletic ability, I doubt I would!

You might try hiking in Arizona. There might be other problems but I don't think there is any ragweed. Half my yard is ragweed. I've never seen any around Chandler, AZ where my son lives.

++ New Posts ++