WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Moonlight Hike on Monadnock

Has anyone done a night hike at Monadnock in Jaffrey, NH? I know technically the park is closed, but do they allow night hiking if you park on the other side of the mountain where the halfway house trail starts (not the main lot/visitor area) It is a full moon this weekend and it would be BEAUTIFUL!!

Hey monadnock, I'm right next door. Welcome to WB. I have other plans for the weekend but if you can manage it, I'll bet it would be fun! My last climb of monadnock was a couple months ago in some gnarly weather. Didn't linger!

a Little late but I'm pretty sure there is no overnight parking at that parking spot by the halfway house trail. The north side of the mountain where the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway treads through is open, I believe, all the time.

I've been on the mountain at all times of the day/night many times and never encountered a problem. They just like you to pay them their $3 parking fee..

Journal Entries
    Images

The only time I hiked it at night was about 10 years ago -- and we were tenting at the CG near the HQ so parking was not an issue. Not sure what the official rules were regarding the trail at night, but others were going up th same way we were. We didn't even think to think about it.

My wife hiked up one Halloween and said there were a great many people up there -- some in costume -- but again, that was years ago.

With regard to parking and the official rules and possible gating of parking lots, I think you would be well served to call the park. There are several access points, of course.

++ New Posts ++