Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Default Alternative PCT Thru Hike

Are there any rational alternative thru-hike itineraries for the PCT?

My 2014 AT Thru was alternative due to overcrowding and my (personal preference) abstinence from getting wasted. I'm saving up for a PCT thru in 2017 or 2018 and am wondering if anyone has ever cut the trail up to stay out of the herds.

Thanks!
    Fusion

SOBO? Flip-Flop, middle NOBO / middle SOBO. Just guessing really.
    Dogwood will know.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I hear predictions of a high snow year coming up.
    So, early starts could be out.
    Your immediate problems are Mt Laguna, Jacinto, Baden Powell, (possibly Big Bear), and then the (long between resupplies) Sierras.
    So, If you start late, it's all going to be weather related as far as when and where you start.
    To do a SOBO, you really have to watch the snow levels up north.
    I've had too much snow in late July, early August back in 2002. in WA state.

Personally, I think you'd be better off doing the AZ trail, or Hayduke, or something less popular.

Crazy numbers on the big 2 trails this year (and probably next)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Personally, I think you'd be better off doing the AZ trail, or Hayduke, or something less popular.
    Crazy numbers on the big 2 trails this year (and probably next)
    I have not ruled that out. Having swept through Colorado on my migration west, I hung out around the CT for a few days and really liked the terrain & views. Working in the San Jose area I plan on doing some weekend warrior / section hiking on the PCT, that may be enough for a while.

Images

In 2008 one of my nephews had a wedding on Memoril day weekend and another on July 4th weekend. In order to make the weddings I started out April 4 sobo from Walker pass down to Cajon Pass where the McDonald's is. From Cajon I hooked up with the andersons for a ride to the AZTPCTKO. After the kickoff I hiked North bck to Cajon Pass where I connected with a poster on PCT-L from LA for a ride to the end of the light rail line in LA. That got me to Uniin Station and a shuttle to the airport for the 1st wedding. On my return to LAX, shuttle to Union station, taxi to Greyhound bus to Bakersfield, then Kern County Trnsit bus to Lake Isabella and on to Onyx followed by a hitch got me back to Wlker Pass. Got rides from trail Angels from Pooh Corner (near I-80) and fellow AT 2006 thruhiker touchdown nd from Reno airport, respectively to continue nobo.

I expect there could be many other alternative itineraries.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

If you are trying to minimize the "human interactions" AND you can throw down some big miles at the start then a late start, say May 20th may be an option. this could be especially appealing if there is a high snow year. I started May 21st in 2011 and saw very few hikers until Aqua Dulce, there was about 40 hikers there. Because of the snow Hikers were metered into the Sierra. the second half of the hiker I only met maybe a dozen hikers total. But I also ended up hiking with others most of the second half.

The beauty of this plan is that the numbers will have thinned out before you step foot on the trail. While I did 30+ mile days from the start you wouldn't have to be that aggressive. If you hit KM on June 20th that would put you at about 25 mpd. then you just need to keep a consistent pace up north. But that is easier to do slightly later as snow will be less due to the later date.

I would target being done with Wa by Oct 1st at the latest. As you plan it out you always have the option to flip from Ashland or Cascade locks if you are lagging the Oct 1st finish.

Bottom line, I think you will find the hoards are only an issue down south. The Sierra both thins and spreads the crowds (especially if there's an above average snow year) and while there will be some large groups 10-12 it won't be 100 of your closest hiking friends camping at barrel Springs for the night.

The numbers going SOBO are insignificant compared to NOBO with you overlapping the NOBOs for only a couple of weeks in NorCal/S.Oregon.

SoCAL is the only place you can reliably hike before late May/June due to snow levels (with the exception of unusually low snow years). So if you want to start anywhere else, you'll have to start late (more of a typical SOBO start date of late June). In many years, if there is high snow in the southern half of the trail, the northern half didn't get as much (and vice versa) so flipping north at Kennedy Meadows (gateway to the High Sierra) to Canada and hiking south or to flipping to the beginning of Oregon or Wash. and hiking north to border and then flipping again, aren't that uncommon. The problem is some years snow covers the whole trail and there is no place to flip to that is any better; the northern part may even be worse. For those that are trying to extend the hiking season after the snow starts flying in the Pacific Northwest and the Sierra Nevada in fall, they leave NorCAL (north of Lake Tahoe) for last since it doesn't typically get burried like the rest of the trail until a little later in the Season.

If we are dealing with a very low snow year like the last 3 have been, starting early (March/early April) works out and you are ahead of the crowds for the entire trip. But that doesn't work in a more normal or high snow year. SoCAL has some very high mountains with several going over 10,000ft. The PCT itself only goes up a little over 9,000 ft in 2 places passing near but not going over the tallest peaks. But these areas have ski-resorts for a reason. Going to early may mean facing some significant snow or hiking around an area on a paved road.

You can flip around as much as you want, but the logistics isn't as easy as the AT since many towns the trail passes by are small and in the middle of nowhere with no public transportation. So the choices of places that you can flip to/from are much more limited.

What makes the most sense is doing the first 650 miles NOBO in early April. Then go home till July. Then either SOBO or NOBO the rest, depending on weather, snow, etc.

As of right now SoCal is set for a more normal snow year. Washington is set for a repeat of last year, which means very little snow.

NOAA 3 month forecasts have never done me wrong.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Do two long sections over two years if feasible.

Cherry pick your route so you line up with the weather windows. I bet SoCal in October is rather lovely (for example; if with no caches...)

With fires a yearly occurrence...who knows what is now of course.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

There are some really great ideas in here. Thanks, everyone!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    As of right now SoCal is set for a more normal snow year. Washington is set for a repeat of last year, which means very little snow.

NOAA 3 month forecasts have never done me wrong.
    If the El Nino forecasts hold up and the Cascades snowpack is low while the Sierras have a ton, you'd be in good shape to do a SOBO thru. Of course, those are big ifs. Keep an eye on the snowpack levels over the next few months: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/snotelanom/basinswe.html (It's way too early to read much into those maps now. But by January you might have a better idea)

You can Blue Blaze onto the Sierra High Route. Then when you get to north Washington, hang a left and hike the Pacific Northwest Trail to the ocean...or go right and hit the CDT.

Not saying it's the PCT, but I was on the North Country Trail on Wednesday. Totally different vibe.

http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tra...thruhiker-faq/

http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tra...vs-southbound/

http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/

For several reasons, the NOBO PCT herd tends to thin out more than the NOBO AT herd not the least of the PCT Thru-hiker permit/quota which the AT does not have in exactly the same form. Without getting deeply into various trail politics the PCTA is IMHO wisely seeking to avoid some of the herding issues especially magnitude than have been experienced on the AT BEFORE they magnify to the point the AT NOBO issues have...according to some. HOWEVER, there are some noted PCT NOBO choke pts too! ie: immediately going NOBO after the Lake Morena Kick Off, Saufleys, Andersons, Kennedy Meadows, etc. After that the herd thins out considerably IMO.

For PCT and CDT thru-hikes it's sometimes necessary and sometimes by choice to bounce around due to fire closures, serious snow situations, alternates, etc. This in itself can break up bunching. IF AT thru-hikes were recognized as the AT was originally intended - as a SYSTEM of coordinated trails - there would be less herding too. For example, in 2008 on my PCT NOBO it seemed Cali was on FIRE! The PCT was closed in several places. Alternatives were acceptable-YIPPEE! Some did LONG 100 mile or more road walks. Some skipped these closures all together and comeback to them to hike the PCT. If fires along the PCT continue it will happen more.

Really though, it's easy enough on any of the TC trails to avoid the bubble or party scene and been discussed extensively for AT NOBOers. Some of the same AT strategies to do so carry over to PCT and CDT

Alternative PCT Thru Hike:
    CDT. Think about it.
    Don't tell anyone.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++