WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Drug party near Kent AT

I set up my tent yesterday after dark near the A/T in Kent along the Housatonic River, the grass field on the dirt road that goes north from town and dead ends where the trail passes over. High end cars, lots of noise and definitely hard core drugs. I will be meeting with the state police this morning.

If you camp next to a road you just might be at the local party place.

How do you know there were "hard core drugs"? What are hard core drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    How do you know there were "hard core drugs"? What are hard core drugs?
    Anything beyond marijuana. High end vehicles, weird noises all night, dealers talking about 400/oz stuff....Just do the math.

You subjected yourself to that situation by camping next to a road. As far as the drugs, were you in danger or harmed at any point? Let it go and hike on. Just some locals out having a good time. Learn from this and don't camp next to roads or other easily accessible spots where known city dwellers show up to party. This is understood on the entire AT from GA to ME.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    I set up my tent yesterday after dark near the A/T in Kent along the Housatonic River, the grass field on the dirt road that goes north from town and dead ends where the trail passes over. High end cars, lots of noise and definitely hard core drugs. I will be meeting with the state police this morning.
    and what do you think the police are gonna do after the fact?

If its a local party spot, the police already know. And if it was more than users, is this really something you want to get involved with and put yourself in danger over? Hike on...

You were probably illegally camped. Isn't CT a "designated site only" state?

$400/oz sounds like the going price for good weed in a rich town like Kent. Mind your own business.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    Anything beyond marijuana. High end vehicles, weird noises all night, dealers talking about 400/oz stuff....Just do the math.
    Lets see, rich town with several very exclusive private schools in and around it, a quiet and private cul de sac near on a river at the end of that road would explain the high end vehicles. Of course high end vehicles is a subjective thing, for one person that may mean Corvettes and Jags, to another it may mean Suburbans and new Jeeps, for another it could mean 8 year old Impalas. Cars do not define the nature of the people using them in Kent anymore than they do in rural Virginia or the streets of Des Moines.

How do you know these are drug dealers? Were you approached? Did anyone quote you goods/prices? Did you see works being used to heat the drugs and inject them? Do you presume when you see some pick up trucks parked around a dead end road area and people talking about moonshine that they are rum runners?

Thats a lot of speculation. State police along with local school security people have known of the cul de sac at the end of River Road for years. There are all kind of things going on at that location from rafts/canoes/kayaks being put into/removed from the river there and/or fishermen congregating around with some beer, to kids using the place as an impromptu meet up point to make some noise. Its mostly private land through that section of the AT so land owners may provide tacit approval of the cul de sac for these purposes and have the police run in periodically to be sure they are not terrorizing someone walking along the AT or illegally camped next to the parking area.

I presume to make these accusations you have some recorded information to pass on to LE, recordings of conversations, photos of drug bundles and money being exchanged, maybe some photos of the license plates. If you have that, then I have to side with your observation. If you don't, its speculation if not flight of fancy.

As an aside, most of CT is a designated camping area only on the AT and no open campfires are allowed. It may be best to observe those rules and avoid scurrilous drug dealers, pirates, and other scurvy dogs that go bump in the night. Argh.

The cops are there to differentiate between those who are breaking the major laws dealing drugs, using meth., heroin, cocaine, crack and indulging in destructive "recreational" activities that undermines the spirit and letter of the Appalachian Trail, I guess they figured the full moon and a Saturday night was the time for this. When I realized it was a serious hard core drug party, I could have called 911 immediately and if a trooper was available at that time, he could have confronted them and interdicted illegal drugs and the pushers who are the lowest of the low. I have zero tolerance for hard core drug use, have never seen it before having hiked well over 3000 miles. Let the authorities do their jobs especially with all the hikers living on shoe string budgets, good sincere honest people while these low lifes are spending huge amounts of money damaging their bodies. "High Watch" is not far away in Kent with recovering drug addicts and alcoholics having to spend $100s a day in rehab., and this is personal as I have seen too many people ruined with illegal drugs and alcohol. I hope the troopers do more oversight leaving alone harmless campers and hikers.

Here is a report form if people have evidence of serious drug activity or dealing: http://www.dea.gov/ops/submit.php

wanna be hiker trash

I am sure the Feds will get right on that. Sounds like the prep school kids had some awesome Kush.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

No wonder hikers have become so unpopular and even disliked along the AT. Strangers come into town and stick their noses into local business and try to cause trouble. What ever happened to "mind your own business and pass on through"? Calling the cops on locals for partying in the woods at a place the hiker probably shouldn't have even been camping sucks.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    No wonder hikers have become so unpopular and even disliked along the AT. Strangers come into town and stick their noses into local business and try to cause trouble. What ever happened to "mind your own business and pass on through"? Calling the cops on locals for partying in the woods at a place the hiker probably shouldn't have even been camping sucks.
    Yeah, I'm sure the local townspeople hate it when visitors call the police to report drug dealers.

I can all but assure you that those kids weren't locals either, that area is a popular tourist destination for people that live in Connecticut and Southeastern New York, at best they might have been attending one of the high end boarding schools in the area.
    Most of the people that live in that county are there because they just want to left alone, unfortunately the valley around the Housatonic river is too beautiful to not be visited. If someone helped to kick out 30 or so stoned teenagers from their woods they'd be fine with it.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-30-2015 at 14:23.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

puff puff give....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You were probably illegally camped. Isn't CT a "designated site only" state?

$400/oz sounds like the going price for good weed in a rich town like Kent. Mind your own business.
    ...could have been talkin' "Cuban fiber" at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...could have been talkin' "Cuban fiber" at that price.
    gram weenies no doubt.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    gram weenies no doubt.
    Alright, now that there was funny!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    If you camp next to a road you just might be at the local party place.
    Ive been miserable a couple times sleeping within half mile of roads. <br>
    Its amazing the people out all night driving rural backroads, parking at trailheads, drinking, argueing loud walking up trail to do things.

I like to stay a mile from roads if possible.

And then you still have the car campers that walk in to shelters.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-30-2015 at 21:42.

Oops. By the title of the thread I thought it was an invite. my bad.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++