WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Boot problem

Images

Default Boot problem

I bought a pair of boots from REI and they walk great. Yesterday I did The Maryland Heights trail with my mom so she could see Harpers Ferry from above and damn if my shoes felt like they were crap.
    I got one size larger since my feet swell, by climbing uphill and then back down my smaller toes were rubbing against my toe box something fierce! Overall the boots feel great to wear, but if I'm swelling this bad, should I return these for another half size up?:/

Return them for something with a wider toe box. What socks are you wearing? Darn Tough Micro Crew Light cushion socks don't take up a lot of space.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Ink View Post
    I bought a pair of boots from REI and they walk great. Yesterday I did The Maryland Heights trail with my mom so she could see Harpers Ferry from above and damn if my shoes felt like they were crap.
    I got one size larger since my feet swell, by climbing uphill and then back down my smaller toes were rubbing against my toe box something fierce! Overall the boots feel great to wear, but if I'm swelling this bad, should I return these for another half size up?:/
    A lot may be going on here. A full size larger is pretty big, do you know as fact your feet increase a full size during a hike? A full size larger gives your feet the opportunity to drift around in the shoe so your smaller toes won't easily clear the entry to the toe box and may chafe if the taper into the toe box is angled. If you look at Keen boots, they have a more squared toe box than other boots or shoes for example.

Socks can be another issue, if the toe box is not well matched to your feet, heavy socks or sock layers can force chafe points especially on the smaller toes trying to clear the toe box entry, lighter socks may lead to the foot drifting in the boot that can generate blisters or hot spots under the ball of the foot, inside of the forefoot (just below the big toe), and potentially the heel.

How you tie the boot can also be at issue. Boots and shoes use different lacing techniques for different issues like holding the heel in place or stopping the entire foot from sliding forward in the boot that jams toes. It sounds like you have some foot drift in the boot by your description, but thats just a guess. A half size larger may be better for you unless you are at the size 12 mens area, which most makers do not have half sizes as they increase the boot size to 13 and up.

REI has an excellent return policy so these can go back, but before you take them back, you should know specifically where the boots are ill fitting so you can make a better assessment on the replacement pair.

Images

Thanks for the replies! I am going back to REI this week to talk to the staff for a better fitting!

Images

Thanks everyone...I got new boots with a wider toe box and was shown how to tie my boots differently for better support.

++ New Posts ++