WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

TD55's analysis may be close to the mark. I don't have a lot of 'data points' to draw from, but I'd hiked the 100 Mile over 10 years ago, and accompanied my son on part of his thru-hike this year, and did another section as well. Both times were coincident with the NOBO bubble in Maine. My impression, however sketchy, is that there is more stress put on the trail now than, say, 10 years ago. It's more difficult to say for sure that there's more irresponsible behavior, but just an increase in the number of people might lead to that, as numbers increase. I can see how this generates concern.

So, indeed, Scott may have been chosen because of publicity as a kind of warning shot.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    If spilling fluids constitute "littering" they have been extremely biased in citing him as most people break that and other laws there at some time.
    Its more a pollution issue, but littering is the rule it falls under. That other people may or may not have been cited for spilling things is likely due to discretion of the Ranger(s) involved, though many have been cited. Similar to speeding tickets, sometimes you get one, sometimes you get the warning, sometimes you blow through the speed station and luck out because no one clocked you.

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    This current situation with Bissell The Clown is a prime example for why someday, a completely separate, stronger organization representing AT hikers as their primary mission should come into existance.

That organization doesn't exist today.

Datto
    Maybe you should get together with Francis over on the Trail Journal Forum. He proposed a similar sentiment earlier this year when the discussion was about voluntary registration. What would the primary mission be? Unlimited freedom for AT hikers?
    More walking, less talking.

On the trail, we are somewhere between guests and tolerated trespassers. The arrogance and idiocy being displayed by the entitled "I have a right" crowd is breathtaking. It is a burn it down mentality. Can you imagine the thoughts going through the minds of those that actually own or run the lands as they grapple with the growing problems? I just hope the stewards and the authorities and the owners can see through the verbal diarrhea and the ungrateful actions and see that many of us are thankful for the privilege to see the beauty of the trail that they graciously allow us to walk on. It is a reasonable reaction to ask ourselves what extra mile we can go to assuage their reasonable concerns. It is beyond ridiculous to argue that we need more power to force them to accept whatever we want to do wherever we want to do it. Those fools are the ones that need to be shouted down. There is no room for that attitude in this discussion or those actions on the trail. The entitled "I have a right crowd" is the problem, not some spokesman that can't form a coherent sentence.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    What would the primary mission be?
    That's a good question (as far as the challenge of delineating the specifics of what the group represenation for AT hikers would entail).

Datto

If the AT is kicked out of BSP then I won't blame Bissell, nor will I blame the multitude of AT hikers that have historically caused numerous incidents unbecoming of a stinky hiker

I'll blame all them self-righteous vegans

Dear vegans, stop being self-righteous

BirdBrain -

So, do you perceive that there's a rise in this kind of attitude on the trail, or just that there's some set fraction of people who exhibit it and the overall number of people is on the rise?

In other instances, I've seen a rise in the fraction of people who have this kind of attitude in other contexts, not just hiking. I'm not sure where it's coming from. Thoughts?

I see that you're from Brunswick - there is (was) a great bluegrass festival every year there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    ...There is no room for that attitude in this discussion or those actions on the trail. The entitled "I have a right crowd" is the problem, not some spokesman that can't form a coherent sentence.
    I would also say there is no room for the self righteous holier then thou folks and is also the problem.

Two unyielding sides unwilling to come together, my feet hurt and my pack is wet, what else is new.

This reminds me of the elected official from Oklahoma who emailed the world saying, "If I receive one more unwanted email I will have the FBI investigate and jail the sender." Of course the guy was mailbombed. When the guy finally came back on-line a week later he stated that he has directed the FBI to pursue the mailbombers and jail them. Of course the guy was mailbombed again and the miscreants took over his website. The guy was re-eleced in the next election. Probably still insisting he can close down that whole Internet thng so only the pure and rightous may participate.

Pretty soon the Stopengrubers will require a permit for sex in the woods, declaring sex to be littering of the worst kind. Then they'll be a permit required for talking in the woods. Then a permit required for listening in the woods.

it's the really poor judgment of the Baxter people that will eventually lead to some under-achieving attorney showing up with his "service dog" and Canada Dry to make a name for himself.

The show is "Champagne Police 04462". Bissell & Company wearing hot pants.

Datto

My suspicion is there may be a sizeable uptick in lawlessness after Redford and Nolte arrive on-scene in theaters (and ET and promo packages and Nightly News coverage). The usual miscreants from Society will be in full force -- nothing like what exists today. Baxter and SNP are in for a big unwanted surprise for a few years until the idea of one-with-nature dies down again and everyone returns to quiet desperation. AT hikers, as a group, are going to receive the brunt of the blame for the actions of a few miscreants simply because AT hikers are a weak group with very weak representation and an easy target for Bissell et al.

It's no different than the idea of all Italians are members of the mob, all Irishmen are heavy drinkers, all women are weak and just cry a lot.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHuth View Post
    BirdBrain -

So, do you perceive that there's a rise in this kind of attitude on the trail, or just that there's some set fraction of people who exhibit it and the overall number of people is on the rise?
    I defer to the findings US Geological Survey being commisioned by the NPS. Whiteblaze posted an article on that subject recently. If you can get by the Bissell quotes, the article is sobering. Personally, I think people are people. Most everyone I see on the trail are good people. I see the effects of the jerks. It is there. They hide on the trail. They speak up boldly on the net. I do not believe the entitled blowhards here are representive of the majority. Unfortunely the minority is loud and their damage on the trail is real.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

From my view, this issue is primarily about Bissell -- never should a person like Bissell ever be in a public-facing role. He should be forced to immediately retire, immediately resign or simply be removed from his post.

Bissell is the perfect example of someone being promoted well beyond their level of competence (The Peter Principle).

Datto

I don't think it will go to trial, if Jurek is found guilty the judge could impose the maximum sentence, in many cases that means jail time. His attorney would be foolish to not take a plea deal.

PS this is all for show.

...and is a huge waste of time.

Pay the damn fine and move on, that's what he'll have to do in the end anyway.

Fun thread.
    Next to the BSPA, Jensen's been the finest champion of Baxter Park since Buzz.

In response to the concerns Jensen brought to their attention, ATC has put forward a voluntary registration program for hikers starting in the south, promoted flip-flops, attended a meeting an Maine, and put some posters in lean-tos. And heavily promoted a movie they admit will increase stress on the AT.

If things move along as I believe they will, ATers will just have to use the same reservation system everyone else does.
    ATers should be thankful about that, because there is serious pressure on Jensen to just end Baxter's relationship with the AT.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

The Datto Principle: Idiots are in-charge and so can you !

I'm mounting a poster of Bissell on the wall in the basement -- there's a lever on the side that makes Bissell duck when a shoe is thrown.

Datto

I heard the 6.6 convention is being held at Baxter State Park this year.

"Dagnammit Daddy, are we gonna have to return all these cases of champagne to Amazon?"

biss.and.the.bandit.jpg

Datto

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    If things move along as I believe they will, ATers will just have to use the same reservation system everyone else does.
    The problem with this is that they would.

Some of the type "A" hikers might reserve thier spots before even reaching Springer.

For the sake of argument lets say just 1% of the total. That is 50 people reserving 50 sites at KSG designed to accommodate up to 300 people. Most of those reservations will be no show's of course.

Then let's say 10% of those reaching Harpers Ferry decide its time to make a reservation "just in case". That's 250 more sites -- designed to hold up to 1500 people -- taken out of inventory.

Most of those reservations will be "no shows" too, of course.

And so it would go -- the race for reservations would be on, but unlike the current competition many (most) of the sites would never see a hiker show up.

AT Hikers would do just fine, of course. Even if one didn't time ther own reservation right, remember that each of the sites at KSG hold 4 to 6 people. The ones with a well timed reservation would share, and the others would just write off the small cost of thier "no show".

The traditional users who would be forced to compete with thousands of tindividual thru hikers for a limited number of 4-6 man sites would suffer.

This would be fair, but it would be a disaster.

Which is why no responsible person who cares about the park would allow this to happen.
    Last edited by rickb; 09-02-2015 at 19:12.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++