Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Awesome Coffee. Sorry to hear about the change in plans for this year, but here's hoping with you that you get to do the Thruhike you're wanting to do next year!(wow runon sentence)

Here's to the hopeful Class of '16.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Images

I'm doing the thru-hike. I will be setting my date as soon as the kickoff date is set. I'm planning to start as far away from that time as possible.

kameyosekmoon - that was just what I was going to ask. Is it that special to take part at the kickoff? I think I don't want to start together with 300ish people ... what do you think - guys who did the PCT before?

In theory, only 50 people per day are permitted to start from the southern terminus on any given day, and that includes the period surrounding kick-off. In practice, it is likely that more than 50 people will be starting around that time because people will not adhere exactly to their start date. FWIW, on my thru attempt this year I started on April 12 (my permit was for April 13 but logistics dictated that I start a day early and PCTA OKed it). This was almost exactly in the middle of the "bubble" if defined by the number of days where the 50 person/day quota was entirely taken. I don't think anywhere near 50 people started on my first day, there were nowhere near 50 people camping at Lake Morena on my first night, and probably the only place where I ever saw more than 50 hikers congregating at the same location within the first 700 miles was at the Warner Springs Community Center (KM had a ton of hikers as well, way over 50). I guess my point is that fear of overcrowding really shouldn't be a factor in terms of start date IMO. Enough people seem to not start at all or start on the wrong dates to make the trail *seem* uncrowded most of the time relative to what one would expect based on internet chatter and seeing the quota spots fill up.

IMHO PCTA needs to charge some type of reservation fee to reduce the number of spots people just reserve and forget about. For example, if they charge $50 (a TINY percentage of the cost of a thru hike), they could include $35 PCTA membership. If a hiker no longer wants that permit date, they would be eligible for a $15 refund if they notify PCTA. That's enough of an incentive, I think, and not a real burden to anyone embarking on a thru hike. FWIW.

Images

First - Hi There Garlic ...
    Haven't seen you since that evening at Overmountian Shelter (AT) in 2008 when you gave me some excellent tips on ultra-light backpacking.
    Thank You. I plan to be about as ultra-light as one can get for the PCT.

Regarding The Kickoff.
    The PTCA is not going to start issuing Long Distance Permits until early February, so none of us knows for sure what our "Start Date" from Campo will be yet. As Coffee said- They are limiting Permits to up to 50 hikers/equestrians per day to spread the herd out. By Kickoff Weekend a lot of thuhikers will already be spread out up the trail and catching rides to and from the KO, so I would not worry about starting out at Campo with a very large number of other people. Even so, its somewhat amazing how quickly hikers thin out on long distance trails.
    This is going to be a 5-6 month (2600+ mile) adventure. No matter what my start date is, I plan to take the time to find my way to the KO.

Shiloh
    If I can't carry it in my heart or on my back, I really don't need it.

hmmm ... so that 50-a-day might be a problem for me then ... I was just about to book my flight to San Diego for the beginning of may .... I'm from Germany :/

Images

I would contact the PTCA directly and get guidance from them regarding the timing with your visa. This probably a routine thing for them.

Also as I said earlier, we are all embarking on 5-6 month long thruhikes. Starting a few days one way or the other really is not going to matter much in the long run.
    Your average miles per day, number of Zero days, amount of time taken for side trips for resupply/water, potential trail closing walk arounds, and you mental attitude will play a much larger role in determining when you reach Canada.
    Shiloh
    If I can't carry it in my heart or on my back, I really don't need it.

I plan on starting the first week of May to try and avoid the crowds. Also, I started the AT close to the start and found myself doing stupid high mileage to pass the few SoBo's that were ahead of me. I think I burned myself out, so starting later should humble me a bit and allow me to slow down and enjoy this more than the AT.

i have the same in mind - first week of May. and hopefully finish before the snow in Canada.

Images

told my boss my plans and surprisingly enough I can get a leave of absence! See everyone out there, planning on starting mid-late April (permits permitting)
    I've seen more spine in jellyfish

I'll be starting right around the kickoff. Did a flip flop thru hike of the AT last year and saw very few thru hikers, so I'm kind of looking forward to hiking in the bubble for at least a little while this time.

Planning begins now! Everything seems to be falling into place. Can't wait to get out there and experience the West. If it's half as great as I've heard, there may be some life changes.

Start in less than 6 months, so excited!

Will be out doing another section next year starting around the 22nd of June. Echo Lake to Ashland is my goal. Might have resupply plans for OR just in case I want to hike a bit further.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Hey all- I'm planning on a thru hike in 2016- hopefully starting in early may. Still have to get some lighter weight gear, but there'll be plenty of time for that. I look forward to seeing you all out there!

Journal Entries

I'm in. I hope to start late April early May. Really pumped up to see some old friends out there and see the prettiest trail in the world . I'm hoping to hike it in 4-5 months a little bit faster than I did AT. Good luck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I'm looking to start mid April. I've already booked my flights to San Diego and car rental to El Cajon. All I need now is my permit

I will be heading NOBO mid-late April. I'm super excited!

Images

I'm also a female solo, but you are heading out before I am planning to start.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm hoping to hike it nobo, but have I'm just now researching. I've hiked 1300 on the AT & hiked the JMT in 13' & 14'. I really have no idea when to start? Sounds like mid April to late May? But more importantly what small guide book to carry. I don't normally carry maps while long distance hiking, so I'm hoping to find a book like the AT guide that I can carry that has water distances and towns/resupply options. Any suggestions? I love "Eric the Blacks" JMT pocket atlas & would love to carry something like that for the PCT if one is available? What is everyone planning on carrying for your guide book?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++