WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Missing Hiker Jenny Bennett autopsy report

(i couldn't find the original thread so i made a new one).....

Since there was some interest in this-----the Park sent out this today on the findings of Jenny Bennett who went missing earlier this summer........

Final Autopsy Report Complete for Hiker Jenny Bennett

Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials received the final autopsy report from the Sevier County Medical Examiner’s Office for Susan J. Bennett, known as Jenny, of Sylva, NC. Bennett was reported missing and discovered off trail by rangers in the Greenbrier area of the park above backcountry campsite 31 on June 8. The report concludes that Bennett died of environmental hypothermia due to cold exposure from partial submersion in Porter’s Creek.

Bennett was found in a sitting position in the creek with her head resting on rocks. According to the final autopsy report, she had bruises on her right hip and elbow consistent with a fall. However, she did not have any internal or musculoskeletal trauma. Bennett did have a toxic level of diphenhydramine concentration in her blood which is considered a significant contributing factor in her death and points towards an intentional overdose.

Bennett, age 62, was an avid hiker in the Smoky Mountains and maintained a blog about her trips. She was a member of the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club and often liked to hike off trail in the park.

I suspected as much at the first report, figured it was better to wait until final medical report.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I don't get it. She deliberately went off trail, took an overdose of Benadryl, and sat down in a creek waiting to die?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I suspected as much at the first report, figured it was better to wait until final medical report.

yeah....

i was also waiting on this news to come down...

when i was in the Park that day--i stopped by headquarters to ask the PIO's what they thought and at the time they didnt want to answer (this was about 2 hours after body was found)...........

i specifically asked if they thought it was a suicide.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't get it. She deliberately went off trail, took an overdose of Benadryl, and sat down in a creek waiting to die?

or, she went off trail, got stung by a bunch of yellow jackets, took way too many pills to help with the stings, and fell and wound up in the creek...........

one can never know..........

without a note or some other form of communication that leans towards suicide---one can never really truely know......

and im not sure if a note or anything was left behind.........i have never heard that part of the story and dont really think it's been asked to the officials...........

now, with that being said----one could pickup some clues in some of the last blogs postings that she wrote........i havent read them in a while, but in one, she was referring to being sad due to the upcoming move..........

but, again, this is all speculation...........

Sorry to hear the results. When I knew her up north she had some "demons" in the background. She was extremely intelligent and came from a very intelligent family, her father was an academic and her mother at some point decided to take up astrophysics during retirement. She had a sister that had been institutionalized for many years and she had been planning to move up north to be closer to her. I lost touch for many years but would guess that both parents were out of the picture and I didn't know she had a brother. Unfortunately depression tends to parallel intelligence and sometimes the depression wins out.

Journal Entries

Default uire

Quite a few people go to places they love to do themself in. Its not that uncommon. Probably beats doing it in the backyard in some way I guess.

Images

Never try to understand this kind of thing. Their mind is in a different mode than yours or mine.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Quite a few people go to places they love to do themself in. Its not that uncommon. Probably beats doing it in the backyard in some way I guess.

yes..........

and in a typical year---there are a few suicides in the Park..............

Journal Entries

Yosemite has 70 known deaths from suicide, and a few more possibles. Making it the 5th leading cause of death there. Car accidents, drowning, hiking/scrambling, big wall climbing, suicide
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-31-2015 at 22:53.

Journal Entries
    Images

She died in a place she loved. If that was an intentional decision I respect her wishes. If not, just a risk she choose.
    Deepest condolences to those who she loved.

I am always saddened by a suicide if not for something like a terminal illness. I hope this is not the reason for her death. There was a suicide in my family years ago over some difficulties at the time. It was a permanent decision based on temporary circumstances and so very unnecessary. The guilt left behind for those who didn't see it coming and were not able to give the support needed, is at times suffocating. All have my prayers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    She died in a place she loved. If that was an intentional decision I respect her wishes. If not, just a risk she choose.
    Deepest condolences to those who she loved.
    The thing about suicide is that it may be "intentional" but tomorrow you might have not though that way. Mental illness is what it is. Not everyone is Socrates.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Good point.

Would have liked to meet her. You may never understand how your actions can/do influence someone else's life for the better.

I had the good fortune of meeting her several years ago on a backpacking trip going South on the BMT whereby she hiked past near Tate Gap and the old homestead. We exchanged blog info and I got on her blog website and discovered she (is and was) an avid dayhiker.

Plus, anyone who has not dealt with issues of suicide can in no way understand or relate to people who have.

Isn't it possible that she took Benadryl of an allergy and sat in the brook to cool off and it was an accidental death?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Isn't it possible that she took Benadryl of an allergy and sat in the brook to cool off and it was an accidental death?

yes.......

we will never know......

see post #5........

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yes.......

we will never know...... I'm

see post #5........
    Tablets are 25 mg or 50 mg

Lethal dose is reported 2800 mg

You have to take......50-60 ish

Its not likely to be accidental unfortunately

Even 1000 mg produces hallucinations
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-08-2015 at 23:15.

I hope that I'm not out of line by saying that her brother added a post to her Smokies blog about a group of her friends who met to hike to one of her favorite spots to scatter her cremains.

https://streamsandforests.wordpress.com/

I didn't know Ms. Bennett but I've read every post in both of her blogs, so I feel that I've come to know her a bit. She was an incredible person -- a gifted intellectual, a remarkably talented writer, a knowledgeable woodsman, and true lover of nature. If you want to read a fantastic blog about bushwacking, the Smokies, nature, and life itself, you should definitely read her stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++