WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite Trail Recipes

Looking to get a little creative on the trail... Branch out from the mac and cheese , potatoes, and knorr sides....

Images

Stove Top stuffing mix and a can or foil pouch of chicken.Heat water & chicken then add the stuffing.Add butter if you have some.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Dehydrate humus (homemade or store bought both work). Take dehydrated humus and put in ninja or other food processor and turn into powder. On the trail put some powdered humus into a container, add water, stir and let set for about 5 minutes then spread on flour tortillas! You can do the same with black beans, refried beans and kidney beans. 1st purée beans in food processor, then dehydrate and follow as above. These are also good to put into soups and stews as a thickening agent, can also be add to mashed potatoes and other items for a great way to add some protein!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Take a box of zatarains black beans and rice. Add red lentils so the total weight is 300 grams. Add a tsp of curry powder and 1 tsp of turneric. Three slices of cooked bacon broken up into pieces (or some bacon bits). Divide into two equal portions. Add one portion to 2 cups water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and let set in PO cosy for 15 min or til done.

Images

Requires a way to dehydrate food, and some time before the hike, but LOTS of good stuff in this. http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourm...ckpack+gourmet

Before heading out I add garlic powder. tomato powder, onion powder and italian seasoning to couscous. To this I add beef Jerky. You add a cup of boiling h20 let sit for 5 min fluff.

For breakfast I defile instant grits with dried cranberries, coconut flakes yum

Journal Entries

I've stated this multiple times, still my trail favorite. Take slices of ham, line your pot making a 'boat', put in that boat sliced up hard boiled eggs and cheese, top with 1/2 a thin bagel (requires a pot the size that can fit a medium (220g) canister) facing down, the other half on top. Place lid on top, Cook very slowly, sometimes turning the stove off and cozying it. When the cheese is melty, remove lid and top 1/2 of the bagel, replace lid and flip the contents onto the lid, remove pot, then place the 1/2 of the bagel on top - trail breakfast sammy, eggs and hammy, life is good,

While at shelter place a few mouse traps.

Clean mice, skewer and grille over fire...yum!

My go to favorite for lunch is peanut butter with trail mix and honey on a tortilla. Yum. In addition, there is a cheaper alternative to Mountain House dehydrated meals. The brand is called Wise and you can get them at Walmart. They are advertised as emergency food supply type meals. I ate a few of them on the JMT and they were very tasty for around half the price of Mountain House.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

I am about to sound like an absolute idiot, I'm sure, but I will risk it anyway because I really have to know.... How do you carry meat, butter, cheese, in your pack on the trail? Don't these things need to be refrigerated? How do you manage that?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I am about to sound like an absolute idiot, I'm sure, but I will risk it anyway because I really have to know.... How do you carry meat, butter, cheese, in your pack on the trail? Don't these things need to be refrigerated? How do you manage that?
    Meats (cold cuts) will last 1-2 days easy, some will go longer, some much longer. Cheese and butter does not need to be kept cool. Also I will sometimes freeze my foods before I set off and keep them well insulated to hold in the coldness, usually this buys a additional day for things that may spoil.

I probably wouldn't take turkey breast, but cured lunchmeats, yes. Why do you think they call it summer sausage? You can also add raw eggs and mayo to foods that don't need refrigeration (at least for the amount of time they would be in my pack).

Zip Lock bag omelet:
    2 eggs.
    1 Tbsp of grated cheese.
    1 Tbsp of Finely chopped green peppers.
    1 Tbsp of finely chopped onion.
    add salt and pepper to taste.
    you can find eggs in a plastic container and fresh/dihydrated vegatables are not hard to carry.

Chi-Chi
    1 package of ramen.
    1 cup of crushed Dorito chips.
    1 thinly sliced slim jim or summer sausage.

Gourmet Ramen Noodle:
    1 or 2 packages of ramen.
    Tsp chicken gravy mix.
    Handful of dried mushrooms.
    Tsp crush red pepper or black pepper.
    onions to taste.
    add some dried vegatables.

Zip lock Mac and cheese:
    2 cups of shells and cheese.
    Bacon bites.
    summer sausage or ham.

Moose Goo:
    1 part Peanut Butter.
    2 parts Honey.
    2 parts Corn Flour.
    Mix in Bowl or Cook pot.
    8 Table spoons of Honey.
    8 Table spoons of Corn Flour.
    4 Table spoons of Peanut Butter or Nutela
    add Chocolate chips and cinnamon.
    put on Tortilla wrap.

Strawberry Banana Wrap:
    1 large flour tortilla.
    1 single serve packet of stawberry cream cheese.
    1 fresh banana.

I should add that the Zip-lock omelet is cooked in a zip-lock bag just throw all the ingredients in a bag and place in boiling water.
    the Moose Goo will make enough to fill a medium size plastic jar.
    Zip-lock mac and cheese is also cooked in a zip-lock bag.

Good luck and happy hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Stove Top stuffing mix and a can or foil pouch of chicken.Heat water & chicken then add the stuffing.Add butter if you have some.
    Made even better with the addition of a pouch of Lipton Cream of Chicken Cup of Soup.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Made even better with the addition of a pouch of Lipton Cream of Chicken Cup of Soup.
    Made more better by adding pecans and dried cranberries.
    I throw in a table spoon of dehydrated peas too.

And, if you've got a source for local eggs that are not washed, you're golden. Washing eggs, as required by US regulations, removes the natural barrier from the outside of the shell and that is why eggs need to be refrigerated. In other parts of the world they don't wash the eggs, and they'll stay fresh on the counter top for more than a week.

I guess I'll be getting creative. I have wheat, peas (beans) and parsley (carrot, celery, cumin, etc) allergies finally diagnosed a couple of years back. Pretty much entirely eliminates all the old menu items. Now that I'm getting back into backpacking this is getting interesting.

I've been testing dry baking using some of Bob's Red Mill mixes and have been having some very good success with an alcohol stove with simmer ring in the kitchen. Just need to carry some applesauce (instead of eggs), milk powder and oil. Baking time is a little over 20mins, using 1cup of the mix.

Finding non ruined eggs would be awesome. I need to find a source for those.

I like chicken ramen with whatever fresh veggies I have on hand thrown in, with some salami or summer sausage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++